Viking64 wrote: »
    afterburnt wrote: »
    If so, how did it turn out?

Dry.

And briny.

So how do you prepare your bird now?
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    dry brine and into the q, indirect heat...wood chips at the end optional but does add a nice taste.....
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited November 2020
    I have always cooked mine upside down in a rack. You start out at a high temperature and gradually lower it in a couple of steps and then it is finished at around 225 for quite a while until it is done. You stuff it with aromatics like garlic, celery tops, carrots, onions, thyme, parsley and lemon juice and salt first and rub it all over outside with olive oil and salt and pepper. Makes a great gravy. The breast never is dry this way. If you're a crispy skin person not the greatest way. If you want crispier breast skin you can turn it over and put it under the broiler for a few minutes to finish. https://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/moms_roast_turkey/
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Viking64 wrote: »
    If so, how did it turn out?

Dry.

And briny.

So how do you prepare your bird now?

I have never cooked a turkey in my life.

Cows > Pigs > Birds
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Due to turkey being on the drier side already, I think you'll have better luck with a regular brine. I think you'll just lose too much valuable moisture with a dry brine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg

I'd recommend doing something close to what is in this video. If you don't have the fridge space, just use an appropriate size cooler, and add ice to the brine.
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Due to turkey being on the drier side already, I think you'll have better luck with a regular brine. I think you'll just lose too much valuable moisture with a dry brine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2zWHOEkBLAg

I'd recommend doing something close to what is in this video. If you don't have the fridge space, just use an appropriate size cooler, and add ice to the brine.

I am cooking it in a smoker and so far from what I gather dry brining will keep the skin from being rubbery. I hope I don't screw it up but I am cooking a shoulder roast, scallops, salmon and, lobster tails so there should be something edible when I am done.
  • cmy330go
    cmy330go Posts: 2,341
    Wow! That sounds good, and also like a lot to shuffle. Hope all goes well!
    HT
    Mits WD-65737, DirecTV, Oppo DV-970HD, XBOX ONE, Yamaha RX-A1030, Parasound Halo A23, Rotel RB-985, Music Hall MMF-7, Parasound PPH-100, LSi-15, LSi-C, LSi-FX, LSi-7, PSW-1000, Monster HTS2600

2 CH
    Parasound Halo P3, Parasound Halo A21, Sutherland Ph.D, VPI Classic 3 w/ 3D arm & Soundsmith Aida Cartridge, Arcam CD72T, B&W 802 S3, Monster HTS2500,
  • afterburnt
    edited November 2020
    cmy330go wrote: »
    Wow! That sounds good, and also like a lot to shuffle. Hope all goes well!

Thanks, that stuff is easy, the work is in the prep. I am also doing four sides, biscuits, and two desserts. :#
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bruce this is the recipe I have followed for smoking a turkey the last several years. It’s one of the best turkeys I’ve ever had.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/turkey-recipes/bbq-and-grilled-turkey-recipe
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • afterburnt
    Thanks Ivan I will check it out.