• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Dave, Kudos to you and M!
    Can’t wait to see the progress.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Yup.

Pics or it didn't happen. :p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Tony M wrote: »
    Yup.

Pics or it didn't happen. :p

Hasn't happened, yet. Sign of the times I guess. Prices of concrete have over tripled in cost! Got 2 quotes, both of which are north of 100K! For a garage. Almost 1/2 of that is concrete. Jeez.

We have all the approvals, got past the drama in the sub, got city approval, permit issued, just taking some time now to see if the market settles down a bit.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Wow!!! :s:'(

I priced a decking board list around Jan. or so and then went to buy the boards around April or so. I checked the web to see if the prices went up and :o ! They doubled.

I waited another month or 2 and checked again... :o ! They've tripled now.

I think they went up even more since. The web says the mills shut down due to Covid!

It says it will be a long time before lumber prices return to where they were. I 'll try to wait it out too. :#
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • verb
    Tony M wrote: »
    Wow!!! :s:'(

I priced a decking board list around Jan. or so and then went to buy the boards around April or so. I checked the web to see if the prices went up and :o ! They doubled.

I waited another month or 2 and checked again... :o ! They've tripled now.

I think they went up even more since. The web says the mills shut down due to Covid!

It says it will be a long time before lumber prices return to where they were. I 'll try to wait it out too. :#

Yep deck boards and most building materials. I couldn't find any 16 footers for my deck and had to settle for 8 footers. I just happened to see some at the Lowe's near me me, despite the fact that online they said they were out of stock!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    Covid, just another excuse to get the prices up, and when they come back down you will still be paying a lot more. Shingles went up when oil went up about 12 years ago, now it's come down but shingles are still sky high.
  • verb
    Well, we're getting closer! Did a lot of cost cutting, basically a shell now, with minimal electrical and gas pipe entry, now all the interior finishes will be DIY! Still looking to break ground before it freezes here in Michigan! :)
  • verb
    Yay! Starting digging today! :)
    7s5vfah4ms6p.png
    ily9zekm2zgm.png
  • invalid
    verb wrote: »
    Yay! Starting digging today! :)
    You doing the digging yourself?
  • verb
    Nah! I wish! Always wanted to learn how to handle those tools! Some more pics. Footings to be poured tomorrow!
    wk0affmrww7j.png

A couple trees had to go:
    86p1ybgo502h.png
  • invalid
    You are off to a good start, keep us posted.
  • verb
    Concrete footings poured today! Lucked out with a nice day too!

7k93qa6fk0bf.png
    170g964o65kt.png
    cmxorpk1scfb.png

Blocks and wall straps scheduled for Monday, and weather permitting, the floors!
  • invalid
    verb wrote: »
    Concrete footings poured today! Lucked out with a nice day too.

Do you live in Michigan? I just ask because we had excellent weather today.
  • verb
    Yep! SE Michigan!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,307
    Nice, Dave, that was pretty quick!
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    msg wrote: »
    Nice, Dave, that was pretty quick!

Thanks Scott! I'm very excited, the Mrs, meh, but she's going with it! The concrete guys (Vito and Luigi) work fast! Gotta love the Italians! They'll be doing the brick work too!
  • Looking good Dave!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • verb
    edited November 2020
    Thanks brother! Really really excited, and I won't let the fact of this thread started over 2 years ago, and we're just now breaking ground, get me down! :)

In the end, we won over the tyrannical HOA, powered through the government bureaucracy, endured the skyrocketing material costs, and prevailed!
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I'm surprised you didn't have them form up a stub wall instead of block. Hope your weather holds out! Thumbsup!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    edited November 2020
    The stub wall (block) will be laid on top of the footing, if I'm reading the prints correctly.
  • audioluvr
    I meant a continuous pour of footing and stub wall at once.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • verb
    edited November 2020
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I meant a continuous pour of footing and stub wall at once.

Ahhhh, all this building nomenclature and local codes are new to me! Local codes requires the footing to be IIRC 42" deep. Never heard of a trench footing either, as no forms were used.

They dug the trenches yesterday. Inspector came out today and approved. An hour later the concrete truck arrived!

I guess here they use a course or two of blocks to level things up, get it above grade, add straps, and have a straight edge to the walls.
  • audioluvr
    edited November 2020
    You can do it that way or form up the stub walls and pour all at once. Uses a little more concrete but it's a lot stronger.
    Edit: Wrong pic. Here's a pic of my barns footing and stem walls. Kinda an extreme case but essentially same concept. I don't have pics of my garages footing but I did the same with a thickened edge on the slab pour tied in with rebar. No cracks in 25 years.

khsajda8oer0.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I love how construction varies by region. Being a GC in the NE, that way of building is just not how we do it. Earth formed footings, no stone base, and less than 4’ depths are all bad juju.

Can’t wait to see this thing go vertical. :)
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • verb
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I love how construction varies by region. Being a GC in the NE, that way of building is just not how we do it. Earth formed footings, no stone base, and less than 4’ depths are all bad juju.

Can’t wait to see this thing go vertical. :)

Neither can I! Kinda racing against time, as the weather is not great this time of the year! Once the stub wall is in, the framers can work late into the cold weather.

Hopefully we can pour the floors next week too!

Either way, we'll get the walls up, and roof shingled by the end of the year!
  • Looking good! Is this going to be your mancave? I spend lots of time in mine.
  • verb
    charley96 wrote: »
    Looking good! Is this going to be your mancave? I spend lots of time in mine.

For sure! One of them, at least. The Mrs has allowed me to utilize the basement as well! :)