Irregardless

Nightfall
Nightfall Posts: 10,042
edited November 2020 in The Clubhouse
How is this even a real word? It makes zero sense. Regardless already means without regard. Adding "ir" in front of it sounds like a double negative to me so how does it actually work because obviously I'm wrong seeing as it's a word in the dictionary. Why isn't irredeemless a word then?
afterburnt wrote: »
They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Any good dictionary will note that it is “nonstandard.”
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    You must be really bored.

Yeah. I was supposed to hang out with Nevada tonight but he cancelled and went to bed early now I have nothing to do.

I still don't understand how this was ever an acceptable and real word at any point in history.

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited November 2020
    Oh no...another one of these threads.

"I could care less." Really???, there is a margin of care below your current state of care?

"I know, right?!?" Do you know, or do you NOT know? Don't invite me to join you in your ambiguity.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    I know, right?! Irregardless, I could care less!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have been making a conscious effort the last few years to not use it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Irregardless, it is a word.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    It? Is that like.....you know, the thing.

C'mon man !
    Sal Palooza
  • Nightfall
    edited November 2020
    Foodstuff and foodstuffs. What's up with that?

"X" needs cleaned. "X" needs fixed. What happened to the words to be?

Monies?

• aiconn
    aiconn Posts: 277
    I feel the same way about “addicting.” The word is addictive!
    PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC/Preamp
    Denon DVD 2910
    Quad 12L Active Monitors
    Marin Logan Dynamo 700W
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    Hang on, I’ll call in the calvary.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Where is Pugboy the grammar cop when you need him?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Where is Pugboy the grammar cop when you need him?

I'm laughing at election results and presidential temper tantrums. :p
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Bohica is a word.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    I'm apathetic, but I don't care...
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • afterburnt
    Regatdamneddiculous is a word.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited November 2020
    never mind, not worth the drama
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • afterburnt
    edited November 2020
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    You must be really bored.

I still don't understand how this was ever an acceptable and real word at any point in history.

Why not? Look at all the deviant garbage that's acceptable nowadays.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    This thread is rediculous...
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • afterburnt
    And endorsed by Babyface Braunschweiger.
  • DiddlyD
    DiddlyD Posts: 1
    edited March 2023
    When I was younger, my mother corrected me when I used the word irregardless saying there was no such word it is just regardless, but she never really explained why. So I get the principle now that the "ir" causes the root word it is attached to flip in meaning, as in the case of responsible vs irresponsible. But if she were here to day, I would now argue her position because it is noted in the Webster Dictionary and therefore recognized even if it's not conforming to the norm of the standard rules. What I would say in it's credit, is when you hear that word spoken, Irregardless really accentuates the root word making a profound statement that just saying a simple tippy toe "regardless" doesn't impart!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Viking64 wrote: »
    DiddlyD wrote: »
    When I was younger, my mother corrected me when I used the word irregardless saying there was no such word it is just regardless, but she never really explained why. So I get the principle now that the "ir" causes the root word it is attached to flip in meaning, as in the case of responsible vs irresponsible. But if she were here to day, I would now argue her position because it is noted in the Webster Dictionary and therefore recognized even if it's not conforming to the norm of the standard rules. What I would say in it's credit, is when you hear that word spoken, Irregardless really accentuates the root word making a profound statement that just saying a simple tippy toe "regardless" doesn't impart!

How do you think she would feel about "to day"?
    I prefer “two day”…
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    "2 Day" ?
    Sal Palooza
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited March 2023
    Or better yet unthaw. You don't take something out of the freezer to unthaw. You take it out to thaw out. Unless you're from Iowa. Then unthaw is correct...

Edit: I think I've already posted this... Sorry , my memory isn't what it used to be ( this morning when I was sober)
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Twoh day
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I think putting an expletive in front of a word really emphasizes the word better than that tippy toe ir- does.

I've been reading this here and there about improperly used words, that because so many people do so, it becomes acceptable, just "non-standard". Eh well, who needs standards and guidelines, anyway.
    DiddlyD wrote: »
    it is noted in the Webster Dictionary and therefore recognized even if it's not conforming to the norm of the standard rules. What I would say in it's credit, is when you hear that word spoken, Irregardless really accentuates the root word making a profound statement that just saying a simple tippy toe "regardless" doesn't impart!

I disabled signatures.