Irregardless

Options

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    A good friend of mine used "F " every other word. He has no idea he is doing it. Sometimes I mock him and really go overboard on the "F's". He kinda looks at me like I'm part of the clan now. Then later I stop by my my mom's house and I want to say something but I'm terrified to.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    How about the use of 'and' in place of 'to'. As in, "I am going to try and buy a new amplifier today". So you and going to try to buy it, and you are going to buy it. What happened to the infinitive (or whatever it's called) 'to'. As in, "I am going to try to buy a new amplifier today".

I assume 'and' is used so prevalently that it's now considered correct. It's used that way everywhere even in literature.

Regardless, I try and not use it that way.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    Whether or not here I come
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,915
    Options
    Irregardless, it’s irrelevant, and irresponsible that I like my ice to unthaw as it’s easier two drank from a Sippy Cup..
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,972
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Oh no...another one of these threads.

"I could care less." Really???, there is a margin of care below your current state of care?

"I know, right?!?" Do you know, or do you NOT know? Don't invite me to join you in your ambiguity.

Actually, it's "I couldn't care less". LAZY english has transformed it into I could care less. Just like saying "the car needs washed".....too lazy to say needs to be? What passes for english language today is pathetic.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Oh no...another one of these threads.

"I could care less." Really???, there is a margin of care below your current state of care?

"I know, right?!?" Do you know, or do you NOT know? Don't invite me to join you in your ambiguity.

Actually, it's "I couldn't care less". LAZY english has transformed it into I could care less. Just like saying "the car needs washed".....too lazy to say needs to be? What passes for english language today is pathetic.
    I know. I was providing those two phrases as other examples of butchered English.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,047
    edited March 2023
    Options
    EDIT: whoa -- this is a zombie thread.
    Sorry. :#

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Now come on now, Jody. We all know that "The car needs warshed" down in the Carolina's is a perfectly normal phrase. They don't butcher English....they decimate it and re-write it.

I met a guy from Gastonia and he said something that has stuck with me for quite some time. Ya' gotta say it all in one shot, no breaks (even though it's supposed to be a sentence)...I asked him if he could do something one time....

Iuseta'couldbeabletocain'tno'mo'.

Translation - "I used to be able to, I cannot anymore"

Listening to that man speak when he was 3 sheets to the wind required a Master's degree in redneck. He was like a real, live Boomhauer.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,518
    Options
    Not sure, but the “needs washed” thing could be partly a regional accent. Thinking western New York and Pennsylvania based on someone I know. It was new to me when I met her.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,272
    Options
    The word "got"

"I've got to go to the store".

Why throw "got" into the mix?
    Instead why not simply say:

"I have to go to the store".

Personally I know that I find myself unnecessarily putting "got" into sentences.
    I got to work on that.🤔
    Sal Palooza
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,272
    Options
    And the word "Coupon":

It isn't pronounced "Q-pon".
    It is pronounced "Coo-pon".

We use Q-Tips in our ears.
    We use "Coo-pons" at the store
    Sal Palooza
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 525
    Options
    How about "loyer" as opposed to "lawyer", despite one attending "law" school to become one.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,314
    Options
    How about turning 'out' into a verb? My father-in-law laughed when he visited us in Pa. and saw a sign in the local laundromat reading "Do not outen cigarettes on the floor".

Looked okay to me until he pointed it out.
  • muncybob
    Options
    Outen is more an ethnic term, seems Polish/German folk used that...it has just about outened itself though. Another one in this area was, it's a nice day...hainna or no. I think it's meaning is something like "ain't it or not"?

Another one that irks me is...I'll do that when I get back...can't you just say return? After years of writing training manuals, desk guides, etc. is perhaps why these things rub me a bit, or maybe I'm just a grumpy ole man....or both?
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    I had no idea there was such a large cadre of grammarians (or would that be syntacticians?) here!
    B)
  • mhardy6647
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Oh, since it was (sort of) mentioned earlier: I grit my teeth every time I read (typically on a forum or in an eBAY listing) a phrase on the order of "needs repaired", meaning "needs repair" or "needs to be repaired".

I assume it's a regional thing.
    It doesn't seem to speak well of the educational system of whatever region from which it comes.
    :#

I mean, I've had my needs repaired several times, but my needs just seem to require yet another repair again after a little while. :p
  • dromunds
    Options
    I’ve had my knees repaired
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,521
    Options
    72gvwocei5ou.jpeg
    mtxstl5crwz8.jpeg
    I'm posting anyways irrregardless
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • dromunds
    Options
  • jdjohn
    Options
    treitz3 wrote: »
    I met a guy from Gastonia and he said something that has stuck with me for quite some time. Ya' gotta say it all in one shot, no breaks (even though it's supposed to be a sentence)...I asked him if he could do something one time....

Iuseta'couldbeabletocain'tno'mo'.

Translation - "I used to be able to, I cannot anymore"
    I have to admit that I actually used the word 'yoostacood' in a work meeting a few years ago. As in, "We yoostacood do that in our other financial reporting system." Of course, being in Nashville, the only person in the room that noticed was the consultant from Pennsylvania. He paused and asked, "Did you just say 'yoostacood'?" He had never heard that expression before...if you can call it that. I told him I was sorry he had to hear it. My fellow Southerners in the room didn't even bat an eye.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,462
    Options
    But did everyone laugh? I lol'd when I read that.

I'd've been the the guy from Pennslovakia.
    I disabled signatures.
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Bohica is a word.

No, it’s an acronym.

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    DiddlyD wrote: »
    When I was younger, my mother corrected me when I used the word irregardless saying there was no such word it is just regardless, but she never really explained why. So I get the principle now that the "ir" causes the root word it is attached to flip in meaning, as in the case of responsible vs irresponsible. But if she were here to day, I would now argue her position because it is noted in the Webster Dictionary and therefore recognized even if it's not conforming to the norm of the standard rules. What I would say in it's credit, is when you hear that word spoken, Irregardless really accentuates the root word making a profound statement that just saying a simple tippy toe "regardless" doesn't impart!

So, what you’re saying is that your Mom is technically correct, but there are so many stupid people out there who are incapable of following the rules of the language, that it is now recognized as a word. Marvelous…

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • jdjohn
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    But did everyone laugh? I lol'd when I read that.

I'd've been the the guy from Pennslovakia.
    It's been a while, but I think the PA guy chuckled, but my fellow southern folk just kind of furrowed their brows like, 'What's the big deal...can we continue with the meeting despite this Yankee's insults?'
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,101
    edited March 2023
    Options
    Let’s not forget the eternal “cashme ouside”…

nir6l74rkca0.gif
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,335
    Options
    It's been a while, but I think the PA guy chuckled, but my fellow southern folk just kind of furrowed their brows like, 'What's the big deal...can we continue with the meeting despite this Yankee's insults?'

Yet, when they say. "Let me get a couple-2, tree"...this is normal? Not down South it ain't. What does that even mean?

Or ask them if they are gonna pick up a 12 pack of beer, and they respond, "Oh, you mean a half rack?"

NOOOOooooooo, I meant a 12 pack, punk.

Speaking of ain't.....there is another word.

Irregardless, I'm down wid'it. :p

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • muncybob
    Options
    Busy day today, we goin to Ameses.
  • OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,126
    Options
    muncybob wrote: »
    Busy day today, we goin to Ameses.

We're going grocery shopping at the Acerme.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    How about "not fa nuthin'"? It seems to be a New England term. The only time I've heard it is on a TV show, and the guy is from NYC.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    At a previous location of employ, I was part of an IT security team that spanned the globe. The company spanned the globe as well, so our team was pretty diverse, from multiple countries in multiple regions. Like the British Empire, the sun never set on our security team.

One year, our manager decided to gather everyone in as central of a locale as we could.

That central part was Philadelphia.

One of our team members, Don, was from south London. He had a heavy accent mixed in with lots of street slang like yobbo, git, wanker, spanner, etc. and every other word out of his mouth when we left work was bloody this and bloody that. He was entertaining to listen to. We were all in town for a week and every day at noon and after work he'd say to me "'Sup mate, fancy a pint uv bittah!" which was "Yo, wanna get a beer?" To which I enthusiastically agreed to, often.

One day, Don wanted to go a "local watering hole, not this posh, bougie stuff the bossman was subjecting us too." "I want a REAL pint of bittah! Mate! A REAL American deal!" So I took everyone to The Dandelion, a legit British Pub in Philly where we ate dinner, watched Simon's rugby match and had the best British ales local American breweries in and around Philadelphia could muster. Simon, Alex and Don were all suitably impressed with the offerings compared to home. However, Don was still dissatisfied.

So we went to McGillin's Old Ale House. Don was surprised and said "What bloody hole di dey pull dis out uv, mate?" I told him it's the oldest, continually operating tavern in America. Look at the sign, says Est. 1860." He says "Estimate?" and Simon says "No, you wankah, ES TAH BLISHED." Don says "Well, whut are we bloody waiting for?"

So we go in and we begin to have a great time for the next few hours and drank many beers. Around 10pm our waitress knocked off for the night and the only ones left were the two bartenders and the bar back. We were sitting back in the corner where our cadre of people could take up space without bothering anyone else around us. That and several other co-workers found out where we were and joined us. Around 10:30, one of the bartenders shouts from behind the bar "AY yo! How youse doin' ovah dere? Youse good? Or do youse need sumpfin?"

Don got wide eyed and thought we were getting yelled at for being too rowdy. I was like "Nah, bro, dude just asked if we needed anything. Our waitress kicked off for the night so anything we need, we gotta go to the bar." Don says "Ah, good mate! The way he was yellin', sounded like he was gonna kick us out!" I was like "Nah, it's all good." Then I shouted back to the bartender "We're all good ova here!" The bartender gives a thumbs up and shouts back "Aight! Iffin youse need anything, youse let me know. Yinz waitress knocked off for the day and the kitchen's closin' in an ahhwah. You want sumpfin to eat affer dat, yinz gotta go to da Acame."

Don looks at me for a translation and I told him "He said: Brilliant, kind gentleman! Be forewarned that your server has retired for the evening necessitating a trip to the bar for any further orders and libations. The kitchen will be closing in about an hour but the bar will not. If we require sustenance post kitchen closure, we must assail the local market for our victuals."

Don looks at me like he doesn't know if I'm being a jerk or not and Ron, who's from the midwest, says "Dang, mister! You use your mouth purtier than a two dollar ****!" to which everyone cracks up. Don then tells us the bartender talks funny and asked what kind of accent that was. I was like "Dude, it's Philly accent. Maybe a bit of Bawlmer mixed in there if he grew up south of the city. But if you think he talks funny, that's how you sound to everyone else here!"

Guess that story isn't as keen over text but in person it was hilarious.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!