Mogami 2964 Digital Coaxial Cable 75 Ohm

Options
Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,619
edited October 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
Anyone have any experience using Mogami 2964 75ohm coax cable for RCA interconnects?

mogami-2964-coaxial-cable-75-ohm-023mm-o-48mm.jpg

http://www.mogamicable.com/category/bulk/video/subminiature_miniature/

Recently I've been trying RCA cables made from this wire, courtesy of WBC on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Foot-High-Definition-Interconnect-Amphenol-Connectors/dp/B01BTLBEX0/

81rpZitav4L._SL1500_.jpg

The price seems reasonable to me and they're constructed using a 4% silver solder. I've inspected the solder joints and they are nearly perfect. Whoever is making these knows what they are doing.

I also like these Amphenol connectors:

81GUahYvgwL._SL1500_.jpg

Sure, gold plated brass isn't exactly ideal in terms of material choices, but they fit perfectly - not too snug, not too loose.

The sound quality of these cables has exceeded my expectations. To my ear, they offer great performance from the top to the very bottom of the frequency range. I've also experienced an impressive soundstage along with copious amounts of 3d imaging effects with them connected. I do not get the impression that they're limiting the component(s) they're connected to in any way.

In fact, when I recently put the Auralic Vega G1 into my system, I initially used it with these cables and I was clearly able to hear the performance and sound signature that the G1 brought to my listening experience. Especially in regards to it's flawless timing and rhythm.

I know that traditionally a 75ohm coaxial cable like this would be used for transmission of digital audio, but I'm finding that it's working exceptionally well for me as an analog interconnect. Big fan of these Mogami RCA cables!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Options
    I see Benchmark offers 75ohm coaxial cable as well for use in analog audio applications: https://benchmarkmedia.com/products/benchmark-rca-to-rca-coaxial-cable

So yeah, maybe it's a thing®.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,604
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I've made RCA's from Canare RG6 coax and used the Canare true 75ohm ends.
    Without digging in the stack I cannot tell you the exact coax cable from Canare. I made and used in in my home theater. Using red and black coax cable made it easy to find and move cables in tight spots you were half blind in to boot. The Canare RCA ends are very nice as well and have a great fit on RCA jacks to. These cables were used many times in analog spots I thought they sounded real neutral in presentation just getting out of the way so to speak.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Looked up that Canare cable and it looks to be made similarly. Thanks for sharing your experiences with it!

I realize the "audiophile street cred" of cables like this are low, but hey if they sound good and aren't coloring the sound then isn't that the "goal"?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Yep! all that comes to mind L5cb sumtin sumtin

Then again i might not even be close 😅
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    Mogami is good and I've used the RCA ends as well. Hard to go wrong at the price.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    It would be interesting if those with a lot of expensive RCA interconnect experience would spend the $35 as an experiment and drop a pair of these WBC cables into their system. Very curious to hear about what their experience would be.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    I think I may actually have some raw thinking about it. If I do want to try it?
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Canare vs. King Cobra?
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    No I meant send to you to try against the mogami.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I have no soldering skills.
  • pitdogg2
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Well alrighty then 😊

Ok tell you what I'll send a set you send them back depending on how long they need to be i might have Belden 1694 coax with Canare RCA's as well to put in a shootout.
  • Clipdat
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Yeah, I'm game.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    Options
    I use Mogami in my Guitar Rig. Very good neutral cables. They are used heavily in the professional side. Great stuff.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    I built several ICs using Mogami cable but it was a different number. I will have to look and see which one I used.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,480
    Options
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,315
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    I use Mogami in my Guitar Rig. Very good neutral cables. They are used heavily in the professional side. Great stuff.

Agree with this. I have some Mogami XLR I use for DJ. Quality cables.
    Klipsch The Nines, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Options
    machone wrote: »

Those are nice RCA plugs! Also interesting comparison on the specs of the W2524 vs the 2964 cable:

W2524 Capacitance at 1kHz, 20°C: 130pF/m (39.7pF/Ft)
    2964 Capacitance at 1kHz, 20°C: 62pF/m(18.9pF/Ft)

W2524 Inductance: 0.2µH/m (0.061µH/Ft)
    2964 Inductance: 0.4μH/m(0.12μH/Ft)
  • Clipdat
    Options
    I just used a pair of these from my stash last night, and they compared very favorably to a pair of interconnects costing much more. Really high price to performance ratio here! But, don't take my word for it... try them!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,059
    edited April 25
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I just used a pair of these from my stash last night, and they compared very favorably to a pair of interconnects costing much more. Really high price to performance ratio here! But, don't take my word for it... try them!

I've never been disappointed with anything Mogami has made. But I also use Daddario which use to be called Planet waves and they make remarkable cables. Yes I'm a cable junkie even in my Guitar Rigs and what I really like better about Planet waves is not the sound quality, you can't really tell the 2 apart. Both Neutral and very well shielded but is the soderless kits they make. I have tons of their stuff and I totally enjoy building my own cables as it's fast clean and I never had a single cable fail or pick up noise.

Shot of my current Pedal board.
    in5f29lr0sl9.jpeg
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.