Ok, Apple-heads - tell me what to get for a new phone

My i-Phone 7 took a dump today, the home button froze. I need to get a new phone, staying with Apple. I currently have US Cellular not happy at all with reception. Told Verizon better here. Thinking of switching. The new 12's are on promotion everywhere. I like to use phone for photos/videos. I thought the 11's would be almost free now but not so. Tell me what I should get among the 11 Pro Max, the 12, or the 12 Pro. Seems the 12 Pro Max isn't being promoted yet. I am going to have to get something pretty quick it looks like. Thanks.

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    I ordered the 12Pro 512G and it should be here next week. This phone should last me another 10 years or more. I use Verizon.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    I use Verizon. Had a perfectly great IPhone 6 Plus. A month ago found new XR model for $350 from Verizon. $14.56 for 24 months. Love it so far. Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I have an iPhone 7. While it works fine, so far, it is coming unglued with the center on both sides unglued. I really loved the size of my old iPhone 5 so I am thinking of getting the new, small iPhone 12. Of course, as long as the 7 still works, and doesn't come completely unglued, I will keep using it.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    The iPhone XR Is a ridiculously good deal right now. But, if taking pictures is your thing, it isn't the best as the iPhone 8 Plus had a better camera. Verizon has always had the best coverage but they also cost the most. If they're offering an iPhone 12 Pro, I'd go that route as it will have the best low light picture taking capabilities. If that doesn't matter to you, go with the iPhone 12 and be done with it.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Does anyone know how the 11 Pro would compare to the 12 Pro for low light photos? They’re giving pretty good incentives on the 12’s but if the 11 Pro starts dropping do you think it Would be noticeably worse in low light, or Would the 11 pro appreciably less desirable in any other ways?
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    An android....
  • I like small phones. I currently have the X, but had the SE prior, which was just a faster 5. I saw they have a new SE and if I needed a new phone that would be the one for me.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • I’m going to upgrade to the 12 Pro. It’s gotten great reviews (although they say don’t buy it expecting increased speeds with 5G since the infrastructure is not built out yet). Phone companies offer significant subsidies on the new phones - it’s like the old days in that respect.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    dromunds wrote: »
    Does anyone know how the 11 Pro would compare to the 12 Pro for low light photos? They’re giving pretty good incentives on the 12’s but if the 11 Pro starts dropping do you think it Would be noticeably worse in low light, or Would the 11 pro appreciably less desirable in any other ways?

The 12 and 12 Pro are the better low light cameras with noticeably less “barrel” distortion. Check out the CNET review with pictures from both phones.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    11pro max here and as it’s my first apple phone so I cannot say if it’s any better than the models before it. It does a nice job and I like it better than any of the top of the line Android phones I’ve been through!
    I got a pop up from AT&T to upgrade to the new 12 and I bit enough to inquire . That move would yield my use of the product nothing so looks like I’m staying with my 11 Pro Max until it no longer works!

I love the smoothness of my lighting ds app with this phone! So quick too!

Hope that helps a little ?
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    I agree with @jeremymarcinko, large phones may be all the rage, but I prefer small phones. I’m still working decently with a 6s- durable, smallish, decent photos, good recorded sound, no software issues, cheap.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited October 2020
    Another happy XR user here. I bought it on eBay about a year ago for about $485 I think. I use Cricket wireless which is on AT&T network but costs quite a bit less. I pay $65 a month total (including taxes and fees) for unlimited data and a hotspot, no contract. The diff is that Cricket limits the data speed (used to be 8mbps downstream, not sure now) and throttles at 22 gb but I have never found either of those limits to be an issue fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • I just received my new SE 2020. This sure is compact not sure the screen size is something I can get used to. It is stupid fast though.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Great choice!
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant