Bookie shootout and the coolest remote holder ever!

F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,705
We had a little fun today/tonight comparing the Polk L200, Polk LSi9 (modded), KEF LS50 and the Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (modded). Each presented a different sound signature with each having their strengths and weaknesses, which was also dependent on the type of music playing. IMO, it's impossible to call one better than the other. Tony or Scott may have a different opinion. I will say that the little KEF is surprisingly heavy and may have the most inert cabinet I've ever rapped my knuckles on.
jdnenm953ki3.jpg

The remote holder....well, it doesn't get any cooler.
crm6tmj81m1s.jpg
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Looks like fun. If you could only keep one set, which would it be?
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    That is a cool array of loudspeakers to compare -- you'd be the envy of ASR, doin' that. Hey, you could post a review over there (sans Spinorama, of course) B)

Too bad you didn't have a pair of PE B652-AIR, too. You know, just to anchor one end of the curve. ;)

40411316381_2081df8e6d_h.jpgDSC_0611 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Guess youse guyses needed a piston ash tray, though.

Oh, one other on-topic musing: Any of youse guyses encountered the new and improved LS50-MAT (with metamaterial technology)

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-kef-ls50-collection-with-new-metamaterial-absorption-technology-mat-coming.16133/

jbfzatmelr42.png
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    I have heard those Kef LS50's a few times I would like to have a pair.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    edited October 2020
    I have owned 2 of those; a modded set of LSi9's (past) and the LS50's (current). I liked both but find the LS50's a bit more to my liking/taste. I found the LSi9's to be a bit tougher to place with their depth and to be a bit bulkier for a bookie while the LS50's are actually quite compact comparatively. I have a set of Usher Mini X Dancers that IMHO are the nicest bookies I have ever experienced but they are like 3X the price. The diamond tweeters are well worth it tho and the cabinets and stands are beautifully crafted.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Bookie shootouts aren't complete without some observations. Details gents... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Looking forward to the strength/weaknesses overview.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    edited October 2020
    Have owned two of the four. Must say, even stock form, those pioneers sound rediculously good for the cash. #1 son uses them now.
  • whoah what a fun way to spend the afternoon :).

F1 - give us your thoughts on each one :)
  • F1nut
    edited October 2020
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    I have heard those Kef LS50's a few times I would like to have a pair.

Talk to MillerLiteScott, his are for sale.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Nightfall wrote: »
    6 connecting rods? And you call yourself a red blooded American. ;)

They're out of a Porsche engine, the block was part of the coffee table. I don't know many American guys that wouldn't want them.
    Guess youse guyses needed a piston ash tray, though.

No piston ashtray needed, non-smokers.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Remote holder.... I thought there might be some heavenly cleavage involved there.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Thank You Jesse
  • Vette C6.r
    Vette C6.r Posts: 1,560
    That was a good time. Glad we had 4 sets. Just enough to do a real compare and contrast.

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Thanks for the contrast and comparison. It’s always fun, especially with friends :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • F1nut
    Vette C6.r wrote: »
    That was a good time. Glad we had 4 sets. Just enough to do a real compare and contrast.

Feel free to add your thoughts.

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Good to hear about the legend l200, something I’m looking at next
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I’ve also owned two of the four. Currently have modded Pioneers that I bought from Jesse and I once had a pair of LSi9’s. I think they were modded, but I can’t remember for sure.

I easily preferred the 9’s over the Pioneer’s, but that’s really unfair based on the equipment I used with each and more importantly the room/setup with each speaker.

Thanks for posting your thoughts Jesse. I hope Tony and Scott share their opinions as well. These are my favorite types of threads.

Oh yeah...cool remote holder.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • F1nut
    Paul, rest assured your Pioneers are way better than stock....WAY!

President of Club Polk

• Vette C6.r
    edited October 2020
    F1nut wrote: »

Feel free to add your thoughts.

You were pretty spot on as usual.

Only thing I'd add is how much the Pioneer's impress me. That 4" ? driver always punches above it's weight. Realizing that they are mooded but when I went upstairs to order the food I couldn't believe it was just them and not additional subs.

Also it's always good to hear that the LSi9's can still hold up to modern speakers. They aren't prefect but if you can pick them up for the price I got them for they are a no brainer.

Jesse and Scott also noticed a leak down issue on my 2.3's that I hope to get to soon. They were always a bit bass shy and that would sure explain alot of it.

Still love listening to them after all these years.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Jesse and Scott also noticed a leak down issue on my 2.3's that I hope to get to soon. They were always a bit bass shy and that would sure explain alot of it.

When I was rebuilding the 2.3TLs I ultimately sold to @gudnoyez I found a large gap in the "inner" cabinet in both top back corners of both cabinets. There was maybe 1/8" inch and it ended up being the single biggest issue with the bass on those particular speakers.
    I used Loctite Power Grab, pressed into those gaps and then clamped up the tops of the cabinets to true everything up while the Loctite dried.

Before that, the passive radiator push test would yield a fairly rapid return to "rest" for the woofers of about 1.5-2 sconds.
    After the repair, they would take 10+ seconds to return to rest.

Sorry to get off topic of the thread but just wanted to back up what Jesse and Scott noticed with personal experience from a similar issue.

"Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Vette C6.r
    The def sounds like something to look into. I know my passive gasket has seen better days but I have Larry's rings so I doubt it was solely cause the issue.

10+ seconds sounds more like it.
  • F1nut
    10 seconds is an extremely long time. 4 to 5 seconds is the most I've seen.

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    It's hard to get extended time like Ryan got with the MW6510's their dust cap is a more open mesh than say the MW6600/MW6501 which had a felt dust caps.

I've used armacell pipe wrap with good results. I was lucky enough to get in on the gasket buy from Mike @brgman yrs. back. When I rehabbed my 2.3tl's I sealed everything real good, Larry's rings, new gaskets on tweeters and MW's and armacell on the passives. I get maybe 5 seconds on mine.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

When I was rebuilding the 2.3TLs I ultimately sold to @gudnoyez I found a large gap in the "inner" cabinet in both top back corners of both cabinets. There was maybe 1/8" inch and it ended up being the single biggest issue with the bass on those particular speakers.
    I used Loctite Power Grab, pressed into those gaps and then clamped up the tops of the cabinets to true everything up while the Loctite dried.

Before that, the passive radiator push test would yield a fairly rapid return to "rest" for the woofers of about 1.5-2 sconds.
    After the repair, they would take 10+ seconds to return to rest.

Sorry to get off topic of the thread but just wanted to back up what Jesse and Scott noticed with personal experience from a similar issue.

Those 2.3tls can shake the pictures off the wall in the next room if need be, its happened a time or two. :o
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    Sorry I missed it. I look forward to another gathering. I have a few odd ball speakers that I'd like to throw into the mix.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • Hansvelton
    Hansvelton Posts: 151
    edited October 2020
    The LS 50 were possibly the biggest let down speaker wise for me ever.

There were not horrible, not in the slightest, but the reviews made them out to be Far better than the reality. Lacking in bass and a prominent boost in the midrange make them appear at first to be more revealing, but over time, they get tiring.

I felt wrong letting them go after only a few months, but was apparent they were simply voiced not to my liking.

Found the Lsi9 less analytical sounding and much better long term. Maybe not the final word on any one aspect of sound, but so good overall and so listenable.

Would love to hear the L200 compared to the Lsi9

@F1nut great comparison. Loved reading your comments. Keep up the great work!