Drop Out Of Sound With SACD / CD Playback

VXR8
VXR8 Posts: 291
edited October 2020 in Electronics
Hello all,

Tried everything conceivable here to rectify this issue! Have a Denon AVR-X7200WA, Cambridge CXUHD and Sony K77A9G TV.

When the TV is turned off, the sound drops out on SACD playback (also on normal CD playback too). I had the dedicated audio HDMI output from the Cambridge going to the Denon and the dedicated video going to the TV. Have HDMI CEC turned OFF but the AVR appears to be looking for a HDMI video input (M1 flashes on the Denon display).

To make it work, I either have to disconnect the HDMI outs from both the Denon and Cambridge to the TV, and connect HDMI for video from the audio only HDMI output and swap it so it goes to the Denon. This plays back fine and as it should. For those who are unaware, the Cambridge has no RCA outputs, only HDMI x 2.

Alternatively, I can leave everything hooked up and turn the TV on and switch the picture off and all plays back fine, but this isn't ideal. Am I missing some setting on one of the devices? As I say, HDMI CEC is off on everything so technically it should playback without the requirement to have the TV to be on. Also plugged into the NON ARC HDMI inputs / outputs on both TV and AVR to eliminate that as well.

Any assistance would be appreciated - Regards Gary

Regards - Gaz from the land of Oz

Main System
Denon - AVC-4700H
Emotiva - XPA-9
Cambridge Audio - Azur 851C - CXUHD
Polk Audio - Legend L800 - Legend L400 - Legend L900 - LSiM fx - OWM3
SVS - PB1000 x 2
Foxtel - iQ4
Belkin - Pure AV PF40
Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
PS Audio - Sprout 100
Cambridge Audio - CXC S2 - CA752BD
Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
Polk Audio - Legend L200
Post edited by VXR8 on

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You have connected as follows:

Sony TV HDMI ARC to Denon HDMI ARC
    Cambridge 1.4 audio to Denon CD input
    Cambridge 2.2 audio/video to Denon BluRay input

Is this correct?

Welcome to Club Polk

--Ron
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VXR8
    edited October 2020
    Hi Ron and thanks for your reply.

Sony TV ARC to Denon ARC correct
    Cambridge 1.4 to Blu Ray input on the Denon
    Cambridge 2.2 audio/video direct to the TV.

Do you recommend I hook it up as you suggested and not connect the Cambridge 2.2 to the TV?

Just tried that but same thing happening - sound dropping out :(
    Post edited by VXR8 on

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    VXR8 wrote: »

Sony TV ARC to Denon ARC correct
    Cambridge 1.4 to Blu Ray input on the Denon
    Cambridge 2.2 audio/video direct to the TV.

Do you recommend I hook it up as you suggested and not connect the Cambridge 2.2 to the TV?

Just tried that but same thing happening - sound dropping out :(

When all components in the chain...(AVR, TV, Player) have compatible formats ...Yes, use the AVR as your central connection hub
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • VXR8
    Rick88 wrote: »
    I think it could be a Cambridge Audio anomaly.

Until I sold my Yamaha RX-A1060 AVR, I had my Cambridge Audio 752BD universal BD player hooked up to it via HDMI which then sent the video signal to my Sony XBR-55X900E TV (CEC/ARC off). Any time I tried to turn off the TV while listening to SACDs I would get audio dropouts and the HDMI light on the Yammie would blink. I tried different certified HDMI cables and it didn't make a difference. I also tried setting the Cambridge to auto play an inserted disc and putting one in with the TV off, and it would start to play fine with no dropouts, but after a few minutes I would start to get them. I never tried to use the dual HDMI outs on the Cambridge to see if it made a difference using separate audio/video signals.

I also had the 752BD hooked up via its analog outs because I slightly preferred its multiple (5) Wolfson DAC chips to the single ESS Sabre chip in the Yammie for CD playback. But since the 752BD converts DSD to PCM through its analog outs I wanted to use HDMI to get pure DSD with SACDs, though honestly I'm not sure if my ears could tell any/much difference.

I blamed the Cambridge because I also had my Sony UBP-X800 universal 4k Ultra BD player hooked up to the Yammie via HDMI, and I could turn off the TV while playing an SACD and would not get audio dropouts.

Good luck!

Thanks Rick - funny you should mention that, I also still have the Cambridge 752BD and plugged that it via HDMI just to try and eliminate the player - it had the same outcome, as I assume would all the later Oppo players as they share the software as with CA. Looks like I need a Sony (or Pioneer) to overcome the issue. I gave my brother a Pioneer BDP-55LX a few years ago, so I may just borrow it back for the purpose of trying another brand for purely the SACD playback. I have the 752BD in another area so can't swap that out (plus when both the 752 and the CXUHD are in the same room, they both operate via the same remote, so both turn on etc.).

I also experienced exactly the same as you with the having the TV on, then turning off it would be fine for 3-4 songs, but then start dropping out. I really appreciate your input and insight :)

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    VXR8 wrote: »

When all components in the chain...(AVR, TV, Player) have compatible formats ...Yes, use the AVR as your central connection hub

Thanks Ron - hooked up as suggested :)

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    Update - so I picked up a used Sony UBP-X800 for the purpose of eliminating the Cambridge anomaly - suffice to say, it's not a Cambridge anomaly! It displays the exact same issue. If I turn the TV on and select picture off, all works well (as it does if I leave the picture on, but that's not how it should work). Anyway maybe it's a Denon anomaly? Will be trying a Pioneer BD-LX55 too just to see if that eliminates the issue. Technology is a wonderful thing - when it works!

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • VXR8
    Happy New Year everyone!

Updated the AVR and still experiencing the same issue. Have contacted Sound United today via email to see if there is a fix for the issue, now apparent on 2 different Denon AVR / AVC's. If anyone else has had a similar issue since I posted here originally and worked out a fix, please let me know. Have updated all HDMI cables too, to Chord 8K cables but still experiencing the drop out of sound.

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    I don't think you need to make number of purchases/additional swap-outs.

May I suggest keeping all variables the same, and just contact CA and Denon (sounds like you did).

I think they should be able to help you. It’s probably a setting that needs adjusted.

Worst case scenario, I would just keep the tv on; these modern TVs don't suck much juice from the wall, and can serve nicely for track selection.
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.
  • VXR8
    OK guys - finally got a fix! Anyone with any HDMI handshake issues, you need this device! You plug your HDMI ARC/EARC output from you AVR / device into the front of this unit and then you have your original HDMI lead going to your TV / projector going from the back of this unit. Designed in Oz and it was the local Denon guru that put me onto it. Can buy from the UK as well - here's the link:

https://www.blustream.com.au/sm11

Footnote - HDMI version 2.1 should address all these issues in the future but we'll wait and see....

Let me know if anyone else purchases this and it fixes their issues :)

Main System
    Denon - AVC-4700H
    Emotiva - XPA-9
    SVS - PB1000 x 2
    Foxtel - iQ4
    Belkin - Pure AV PF40
    Sony K77A9G

Front Room System
    PS Audio - Sprout 100
    Sony - UBX800 4K BluRay
    Polk Audio - Legend L200
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    Thanks for sharing!
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.