2»

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    A review of the 12" version.
    https://youtu.be/jKp-_xx6E0o
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• engie490
    engie490 Posts: 426
    Options
    I have the Velodyne SMS-1 buried amongst my boxes around here somewhere, but the DD series subs integrated that functionality into the sub. The video output looks something like this...

5dtm73w214x8.jpg

7sr41mqfnr8u.jpg

Sonus Faber Liuto / Coda Continuum / Anthem STR Preamplifier / Oppo BDP-105D / Technics SP-15 w/SAEC WE-308SX & Ortofon AS-309 arms / Ikeda 9C2 & Dynavector XX2 Mk II carts
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Is this still for sale? Asking for a friend...and providing a friendly bump.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I have someone who has stated they wish to buy it, just waiting for them to get the funds. In short, sale pending. If that changes I will let you know. Thanks to your friend for their interest and thanks for da bump. B)

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    Options
    GLWTS!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • messiah
    messiah Posts: 1,790
    Options
    Great sub!! I wouldn’t mind adding it to my system if I hadn’t spent a little too much lately on other stuff. I have a HGS-18 currently, and although my wife has never complained (she loves it actually and it doesn’t even have the grille), she MIGHT complain if I brought another sub in right now.
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    Benjamin Franklin, February 17th, 1775.

"The day that I have to give up my constitutional rights AND let some dude rub my junk...well, let's just say that it's gonna be a real bad day for the dude trying to rub my junk!!"
    messiah, November 23rd, 2010
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,057
    Options
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Anyone want to speak to differences between bottom-firing vs front-firing subs?
    Sure one fires down and one fires out the front. Makes no difference in your room. They perform the same. Bass is room dependent my friend.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    mantis wrote: »
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Anyone want to speak to differences between bottom-firing vs front-firing subs?
    Sure one fires down and one fires out the front. Makes no difference in your room. They perform the same. Bass is room dependent my friend.
    I should have phrased my question better. I was wondering if one design is considered better than the other.
  • F1nut
    Options
    From my experience, front firing is best. It really makes no sense for sound to be directed at the floor. A carpeted floor will muffle while a hard floor could create a boom effect.

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I just recently had an experience with a convertible sub, and found the down-firing configuration offered greater perceived extension, but the effect was much sharper, and gave the effect of the sub being almost too tight, with less audible decay. If you've ever had a sub with adjustable Q, it's like setting that too tight.

Converting to front firing, I had to increase the sub's volume to blend it with the speakers again, but the sub seemed to gain presence in a wider range of bass frequencies, which sounded more natural, and filled out the sound of the LSi7s I'm using with the sub at the moment.

One could argue that increasing the volume of the down-firing configuration may have had the same effect. It may have brought in some of those more nuanced effects, but I think it would have amplified that impact effect as well, no longer blending properly, and overpowering the small bookshelf speakers.

My quick takeaway on this was that down-firing might have been better for HT where explosive impact may be more desirable, with front-firing being more musical and playing better with speakers across a broader range of bass frequencies.

For reference, this space has an area rug on a hard floor. May be less an effect on an elevate floor/crawl.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • F1nut
    Options
    SOLD Thank you!

President of Club Polk

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    NYOOOOOOOO!!!
    OOOO
    ooo
    oo
    sigh.
    ssssiiiiiiigh.

Nice! and congrats to the new owner!
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    Options
    Congrats to all! I think Jesse is more patient than many people might think.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Woooo
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.