RIP Eddie Van Halen

Comments

• mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    edited October 2020
    I agree, so far 2020 sucks hard. I can't even get an RTX3080

R.I.P. Eddie you gave us the gift that will last for ever, your music will never die.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Saw VH in Ames, IA. In 1979. I'll never forget DLR drinking a fifth of Jack and passing out on stage. Awesome!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • sbb2112
    sbb2112 Posts: 134
    Rode my motorcycle home from the local record store with the new VH album inside my jacket. I don’t think it left the turntable for a month. RIP Eddie.
    Main System
    Marantz AV8802A PrePro
    Marantz MM7025 Amp rear surrounds
    McIntosh MC7205 Amp center, ceiling and mid surrounds
    McIntosh MC300 Amp front mains
    Oppo 203 Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS with VR3 monastery crossovers
    Polk FX1000 Mid surrounds
    Klipsch RP-440C Center channel
    Klipsch RP-15M Rear surrounds
    SVS prime elevation ceiling surrounds
    Rythmik F15HP sub
    Samsung 8500 curved screen 65" LED 4K
    Mac Mini Server

Office System
    Musical Fidelity M6s dac/preamp
    Oppo 103D Bluray
    Polk SDA-SRS 2
    Parasound HCA-1500A
    Polk PSW 650 sub
    Microrendu
    Roku Ultra
    Mac Mini Server
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited October 2020
    Saw VH off the WACF and FW tours great shows R.I.P. .I bet classic Rock stations every where are playing VH, and I'm pretty sure this very moment one of them are playing Eruption and You really got me right now. I remember bringing the debut album from San Diego Tower Records purchase to Northern Minnesota with me when it came out, played it at a party up there no one had heard of them yet was great watching everyone's jaw Drop wanting to hear it multiple times.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    @fish357
    Thanks for posting up that worthwhile and very good interview. The interview was an in site into who he really was as a person and a musician. A true evolutionist.
    I saw 1984, 5150, OU812, and one other show...Van Halen was a big part of my rock days and still is. Lot of good memories
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Very sad, wow, their early albums for sure take me back to my portable mono cassette players as a youth.

RIP
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    RIP Eddie! I forgot they were married! Valerie B. She had their son Wolf.

r7wt5tdyl4iw.jpg
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    RIP to one of the greats.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    edited October 2020
    Disturbing. https://youtu.be/ShV2Hu8veoE

I was looking for the interview where he talked about taking the gig. I knew it was him the first time I heard that rekkid. I don't think he is credited on the album.
  • According to Valarie he passed from lung cancer.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Just wow... Many guitar players equate his rock star status with Elvis.... So sad... RIP Eddie, prayers to Valerie and Wolfgang
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited October 2020
    The first time I heard the first Van Halen album was when a friend had just bought a Harman Kardon integrated, a Nakamichi tape deck, and some Advent speakers. My jaw was hanging open for the whole first side of the tape when he was blasting it in his dorm room. That was actually a main factor in what got me looking to improve my own music listening experience.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Good point on the diverse background. I had almost forgotten his parents were Dutch and Indonesian, he was born in the Netherlands, and his family didn't settle in California until little Edward was 7 years old. He and his older brother hit the ground running.
  • Emlyn wrote: »
    Good point on the diverse background. I had almost forgotten his parents were Dutch and Indonesian, he was born in the Netherlands, and his family didn't settle in California until little Edward was 7 years old. He and his older brother hit the ground running with the devil.

2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Wow! Did not know he was sick.
    RIP
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    A virtuoso, for sure, but also a gifted songwriter. Women and Children First was one of the first cassettes I ever purchased. Who among us has NOT ever played air guitar with EVH? Eruption is such a classic.

Here's an interesting article from a Classical Music website: https://www.yourclassical.org/story/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen That acoustic Spanish Fly song is amazing, and really showcases his talent. The Für Elise video is cool as well, but you have to get to about the 1:15 mark to recognize the tune.

RIP EVH
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    Women and Children First - my favorite VH album. Eddie got down in the sludge chords for that one ("have you seen Junior's grades...?").
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    jdjohn wrote: »
    A virtuoso, for sure, but also a gifted songwriter. Women and Children First was one of the first cassettes I ever purchased. Who among us has NOT ever played air guitar with EVH? Eruption is such a classic.

Here's an interesting article from a Classical Music website: https://www.yourclassical.org/story/2020/10/06/eddie-van-halen That acoustic Spanish Fly song is amazing, and really showcases his talent. The Für Elise video is cool as well, but you have to get to about the 1:15 mark to recognize the tune.

RIP EVH

That's why many people reference Eddie as Mozart of the guitar

As his Diver Down "Cathedral" solo

https://youtu.be/Z2WRGVJLZu0
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited October 2020
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    That's why many people reference Eddie as Mozart of the guitar
    I think most folks know he and Valerie named their son 'Wolf', as in Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

EDIT: And since no one else has mentioned it yet, Eddie's middle name is actually Ludwig, or Lodewijk in Dutch. The musical roots run deep!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited October 2020
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    RIP Eddie! I forgot they were married! Valerie B. She had their son Wolf.

r7wt5tdyl4iw.jpg

David’s constant smack talking of Val, and what he wanted to do with her, is what began making their relationship rocky. I have a cousin in the Valley who used to do all their irrigation.
    Edit- Eddie and David, not Eddie and Val. 🙄
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Jan Van Halen was an accomplished jazz clarinet and sax musician. Music is in their blood.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    https://youtu.be/3qE2cEh_eZk

Yep.... That's Dad on the clarinet
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    My older brothers introduced me to VH when their first album debuted. From then on, they were #1 with me and all throughout my highschool years especially. It was mind blowing hearing what he was doing with a guitar. To this day, I still go on YouTube to find videos showing how he got those crazy sounds out of that guitar.

The most recent song I had to research was "Atomic Punk." That evil scratching sound he did is still among my very favorites!

RIP Eddie, you did great!
    No excuses!
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    charley96 wrote: »
    I have to wonder if he and Sammy ever cleared their differences before he passed. RIP

Eddie and Sammy reconciled earlier this year....

https://people.com/music/sammy-hagar-eddie-van-halen-reconciled-before-his-death/

I believe Eddie also reconciled with Michael Anthony as well.

https://youtu.be/hZtQR24ouV8

• Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Good point on the diverse background. I had almost forgotten his parents were Dutch and Indonesian, he was born in the Netherlands, and his family didn't settle in California until little Edward was 7 years old. He and his older brother hit the ground running.

According to Diamond Dave, Van Halen family faced "horrifying racist environment"....

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/van-halen-family-faced-horrifying-185008570.html
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ <3B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.