Opinions for Decent RCA’S

2»

Comments

• Black Mamba is great! I also like the Black Thunder sub cables.... made a great difference in my setup for my sub.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    If you’re going to make your own 1st cables keep it simple and inexpensive. You can always cut the ends off and start over with minimal cost.

Mogami W2806 has a shield and two conductors. Should come in around $1/foot. Use inexpensive ends so if you overheat or just slobber all over them with solder you’re not out $20+ per end.

Tin the wires before attaching, remember that once you’ve soldered the connector on the back shell laying on the work bench will cause you to swear vehemently so go slow and plan ahead.

It’s quite satisfying to get a pair done and actually get sound through them!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    When making cables I like to also use something like this to stabilize the pin and help keep from chasing the RCA around the table. Some cheap RCA's also melt pretty easy so this also keeps pin in alignment to some extent.

https://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/72381.jpg
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    How would you rate your homemade RCA’s compared to store bought?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    When making cables I like to also use something like this to stabilize the pin and help keep from chasing the RCA around the table. Some cheap RCA's also melt pretty easy so this also keeps pin in alignment to some extent.

https://images.monoprice.com/productlargeimages/72381.jpg
    I noticed Doug uses a single one in his video as well, which also serves as a heat sink. I wish I had watched that video before doing all of mine! :D

P.S. Even though he made his directional, I didn't see him label either end as such.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    fish357 wrote: »
    How would you rate your homemade RCA’s compared to store bought?

Better quality for the cost.

Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire