Anyone using IsoAcoistics Gaia on SDAs?

fvj56u2mvx4r.jpg

I'm on the fence about ordering these feet for my SDA-2As. A few of the plastic nubbins broke off of the bases, and they rock back and forth.

The speakers are on a hardwood floor on bouncy 2x6 framing.

I could either:
-use these feet
-keep the stock bases and put new felt or something under them
-use spikes with discs
-thru bolt to the floor with a nut in the basement, maybe with some sort of gasket between (but then I can't play with positioning)

What do you guys think would have the best effect?

I tried doing a forum search, and only found @bc6 with the gaia feet on sda 2.3

Thanks!

Comments

• You might look at Herbie's Audio Lab array of products for speaker isolation. Most folks get best results with spikes, but in my situation (a wood floor above a basement) I found that decoupling the speakers kept reverberation from moving through the floor and muddying the sound.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • spongebobsquarepants
    edited September 2020
    Went on the Herbie's site, and have the "Way Excellent II Turntable Mat" in my cart now :D . The herbie spikes are interesting with no hardware. Seems like we have a similar floor situation @Jazzhead ...what method/products did you use for decoupling?
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Sponge...:

I have four Big Fat Dots under my RTA-12's - between the speakers and the stands. When I tried the Dots they made the 12's come to life, especially in the lowest frequencies. I have four Little Fat Gliders under the stands to decouple from the floor. In my situation it sounds very good. The wood floor thing can be a problem.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    I tried some Herbie's dot things under my TT. Didn't do a damn thing, sent them back.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• I recommend the Gaia’s 👍
  • spongebobsquarepants
    edited September 2020
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Just ordered two sets of Gaia III.
    I'll update when I get them with install process/ thoughts on performance.
  • zfhbkoccx2tj.jpg
    cm27r6gfhc7y.jpg
    g28dymqocosk.jpg
    ato66zjxl15v.jpg
    zo40sb9bbrfm.jpg
    5vpfjie4burd.jpg

Got the left channel all set up. The 8mm tee nuts had 90° bevels for metric flat screws, so I "machined" them to 82° so I could use 8-32 stainless screws I had left over from the hurricane nut project.

The gaias are a lot springer than I thought! You can move the speaker a few degrees in any direction.

I'll update once I get the other speaker done on how they sound.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Those isolators look just like a set of poly engine mounts I used to make.
    Looks like a nice install you did.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Thanks @xschop !
    I finished the other speaker today...
    They don't sound too dramatically different to me..
    The bass seems to hit a little harder, in a good way.
    Not sure if if its my imagination though.rlcpys88ftfu.jpg
    dzzmh4n6stbg.jpg
    The height from the floor is within a quarter inch of stock.

Anyone have any use for free sda-2a bases in poor condition? :D
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    I doubt that it's your imagination. Do you feel less vibration of the floor through your feet now?
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • I got a chance to crank it up with a record I'm really familiar with, and it sounds very different at higher volume. The bass is a lot clearer and puncher.

Seems like a great fit for my bouncy floor situation.

The floor is so bouncy that before I put the turntable on a shelf, it was nearly impossible to walk in the living room without skipping.

Here's a photo of the setup with the new shoes.
    41icwn7t2viv.jpg

• xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    Sounds like you've accomplished your goal.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.