Opinion on a turntable: VPI

Options
2»

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    This is what Joey's end game will be.......Kuzma Stabi XL with Kuzma linear air bearing arm. :p

55z7ezcqwaot.png
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,519
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    This is what Joey's end game will be.......Kuzma Stabi XL with Kuzma linear air bearing arm. :p

55z7ezcqwaot.png

I’m gonna google that
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Joey_V wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Serious question
    How would this compare to the Avenger Reference?

No idea. I suggest you call VPI and ask them that question, I'm sure they would be happy to assist.

Found their vpi forum, lot of people who are slightly crazy there
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have 2 options, buy a starter table or an endgame.

I was looking at the Project RPM10 carbon but I have an option for the Avenger Reference with Etna, set up by John Fort. So my mind starts thinking...

If I buy a starter table, what if it’s not significantly better than my digital? And then is it just going to cost me more in the long term?

I dragged my old Dual CS606 with Ortofon 55e out of its safe storage place and cleaned it up (how does dust get inside the dust cover?) and took it over to my buddy Steve's place and we checked it out. He was impressed but he was mostly being kind. I felt that it didn't sound significantly better than digital whereas his most definitely did. Mine didn't highlight the pops and clicks like his does but he has a stylus that goes as deeply into the grooves as the best styli on the market. Anyway, it was nice to determine it still works fully and if I get a preamp with a phono stage or a DAC with a built in preamp and phono stage into my system I will put it back in probably with a better cartridge like a Shure V15 maybe. My friend's table and cartridge had low end detail that mine simply couldn't hold a candle to.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Joey_V
    Options
  • Joey_V
    edited September 2020
    Options
    SCompRacer wrote: »

55z7ezcqwaot.png

I expected the price to be a little higher.

Lots of options but getting up there in price.

Edit: those were 2007 prices.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Nonsense.
    This was one of the best sounding setups at Axpona:

pc1uz3swgv1q.jpeg

But for some reason they would throw away a record after playing it?
  • dolsey01
    dolsey01 Posts: 15
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Updated version of the Prime with a Gimbaled arm and HW-40 feet coming very soon.

Promising setup in 20 min or less.

https://whathifi.com/news/vpi-launches-prime-21-range-of-easy-to-use-turntables
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,001
    Options
    I think my end-game tt might be one of George Merrill's designs like this one http://www.hifigem.com/PolyTableSUPER12.html Or if I got crazy, this one http://www.hifigem.com/merrill-williams-101-3-turntable.html Obviously a much lower budget than some of these fine examples you guys are mentioning.

George started with developing modification parts for vintage AR turntables, but eventually started designing his own.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon