Opinion on a turntable: VPI

Question for the hive, any opinions on VPI? And the unipivot arm?

Looking for my first table.

Thx
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Not sure if Neil is still on the forum, but he loved his VPI table.

@nspindel
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    The older VPI Scout is a table on my short list of Iwannabuy
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Going from a Pro-Ject 2.9 to a VPI Scout 1.1 was pretty significant. Granted, I have a Grado Gold on the Project and an Ortofon 2m Blue on the VPI, but nonetheless it was another level of sound.

The unipivot is unsettling at first (and still a bit now), but I found it fairly straightforward to set up.

Even my entry level Scout feels extremely solid and quality-built. VPI brand has a certain air of respect with a pretty large following. Also a huge range of tables to suit your budget and needs.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    The VPI tables are awesome. I have a prime and have had it for about 4 years. It has the Unipivot. It is a little strange in how it works but it does a fantastic job.

What table are you considering? Cartridge? Phono pre?
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    I’ve had my Thorens for 47 years. If I ever replaced it, I would only consider VPI, especially after reading what they did for local medical personnel during the pandemic. No personal experience with one in my system, however.
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Ouch
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The unipivot arms do take some getting used to -- I like the VPI tables I've experienced (and I am OK with the arms). Not really my cup of tea, but certainly not junk, either.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Clipdat wrote: »

That thing doesn't even have a 78 RPM setting....pass.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited September 2020
    tratliff wrote: »
    The VPI tables are awesome. I have a prime and have had it for about 4 years. It has the Unipivot. It is a little strange in how it works but it does a fantastic job.

Is the unipivot a pain to maintain? I worry about center image solidity.

The table:
    VPI Avenger Reference with fatboy, rim drive, peripheral ring, center clamp

The cartridge:
    Lyra Etna

Phono:
    Not sure yet, probably ARC Ref 2 or higher
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • Joey_V

Serious question
    How would this compare to the Avenger Reference?
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Oh my...another rabbit hole. But I must say, Joey, you have dug straight to the bottom! VPI doesn't make crap. Be prepared for lots of detailed setup, but you having a scientific mind, I think you would embrace it.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • Joey_V
    edited September 2020
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Oh my...another rabbit hole. But I must say, Joey, you have dug straight to the bottom! VPI doesn't make crap. Be prepared for lots of detailed setup, but you having a scientific mind, I think you would embrace it.

I have 2 options, buy a starter table or an endgame.

I was looking at the Project RPM10 carbon but I have an option for the Avenger Reference with Etna, set up by John Fort. So my mind starts thinking...

If I buy a starter table, what if it’s not significantly better than my digital? And then is it just going to cost me more in the long term?
  • tratliff
    Joey_V wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »

Is the unipivot a pain to maintain? I worry about center image solidity.

The table:
    VPI Avenger Reference with fatboy, rim drive, peripheral ring, center clamp

The cartridge:
    Lyra Etna

Phono:
    Not sure yet, probably ARC Ref 2 or higher

It did take some time to get use to but once it was broken in I haven’t looked back. I check all settings a couple times per year but can’t remember the last time I actually made a change.

You will be very happy with that setup. Just keep in mind listening is more effort. And collecting records is a 🐇 hole.....
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Joey_V
    Which do you have?
  • jdjohn

I was looking at the Project RPM10 carbon but I have an option for the Avenger Reference with Etna, set up by John Fort. So my mind starts thinking...

If I buy a starter table, what if it’s not significantly better than my digital? And then is it just going to cost me more in the long term?
    No doubt business is good in the ED, so take that leap to the VPI :) You deserve it in these trying times as a health-care provider. HOWEVER, consider your little ones, and if they might attempt to...whatever.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    VPI tables and Soundsmith carts are a match made in heaven. Unipivot is a bit strange at first, but you catch on quickly. They now have a little plate you can attach at the pivot, which makes it steadier without any negative effects.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• jdjohn
    Jesse, have you gone full strain-gauge, or one of Peter's moving iron options?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Yeah right...lol

Zephyr MIMC Star
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Joey_V
    jdjohn wrote: »

No doubt business is good in the ED, so take that leap to the VPI :) You deserve it in these trying times as a health-care provider. HOWEVER, consider your little ones, and if they might attempt to...whatever.

Ha, it’s not that good. Otherwise, I wouldn’t be ruminating about which is most bang for the buck.

Let’s just say I’ve denied myself for long enough.
  • tratliff
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yeah right...lol

Zephyr MIMC Star

Nice Jesse. What table you running?
  • jdjohn
    It's a brave new world. But remember with vinyl, it is all about the accessories. Cleanliness is next to Godliness, so you'll need a RCM, brushes for vinyl and stylus, anti-static solutions, new sleeves in many cases, etc.
  • Joey_V
    Yeah
    Sounds like a blackhole
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557

Serious question
    How would this compare to the Avenger Reference?

No idea. I suggest you call VPI and ask them that question, I'm sure they would be happy to assist.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • SME is another legendary brand in the high end TT space, and I will point out that you see their tone arms land on other tables frequently. Herb Reichert used an SME arm on his reference TT, Steve Guttenberg uses an SME table in his reference system. Nothing like 3rd party validation of a design. Something to consider.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs