Bluesound NODE_2i, adding a DAC?

I have a Bluesound NODE_2i and was wondering to those who have added an add on DAC did it help much with the sound and what DAC did you add?

Keep in mind I can't spend $1000's on a new DAC, something under $700-$800 at the most. Thinking about adding one before the end of the year if it would help.
Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• I have a Node 2,and Node 2i.( I also have a Node N100) The 2 and 2i I run external DAC’s. With the 2,which is in my secondary system,I run a very inexpensive Beresford Bushmaster mkII. The biggest improvement I noticed was an increased 3D soundstage. The 2i is in my main system,and I’m running an older April Music DA100 Signature. Even with this being an older DAC,I notice better detail throughout,more air between instruments,and a much larger 3D soundstage. I would suggest going used. You won’t get the latest tech,but I feel you can definitely get much better sound. There is a very nice and highly rated Benchmark DAC1 for sale in our very own classifieds. I would give that very serious consideration,and 1/2 your budget. If I didn’t just purchase the Beresford,and two subs,the Benchmark would be in my home!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    edited September 2020
    I got an adapter and put a bigger power cable on my Node 2i and that seemed to help the sound some. My concern on the Benchmark DAC1 is how old it is and I would think I could get a more current (used) DAC that would sound better and hopefully last longer. Is this right or wrong?

Thanks for the advice and comments.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • Milito wrote: »
    I got an adapter and put a bigger power cable on my Node 2i and that seemed to help the sound some. My concern on the Benchmark DAC1 is how old it is and I would think I could get a more current (used) DAC that would sound better and hopefully last longer. Is this right or wrong?

Thanks for the advice and comments.

I did the same thing with the power cord. Pangea adapter and a Pangea AC14 which I will upgrade at some point. I agree with better performance with a pc upgrade.
    As far as the sound of the Benchmark goes,the DAC 1 is very highly rated. I am very new to the DAC game,however from everything I’ve read,for that price,it would be hard to beat. Another DAC on my radar in your budget would be a Denafrips Aries II. The Denafrips is a Stereophile class B recommended piece. I’m also considering the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital for $399. This is a Stereophile class a recommendation. It seems to get pretty good reviews from mere mortals as well! I may very well ask Santa for the Pro-Ject for Christmas.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    There's a Benchmark DAC1 in the flea market. Why are you still here?......go get it.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz wrote: »
    There's a Benchmark DAC1 in the flea market. Why are you still here?......go get it.

That’s what I said!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    The recent The Absolute Sound review (issue 308) of the 2i seemed to like the sound as is, but also paired it with other DACs with great results. The Benchmark for sale here seems like a good idea. You could also try one of the Schiit DACs in your budget and return it if it doesn’t float your boat. I have a Micromega Mydac that I no longer use due to a change in my kitchen system. I have not yet tried to sell it here, but may do so soon. I’d be happy to loan it to you for a few weeks if that’s something you’d like to try.
  • Milito
    edited September 2020
    I appreciate the offer, but I'm still trying to narrow down which ones I would be interested in. If you still have it and I decide that's one am interested it I will contact you, thanks again.

The Benchmark concerns me some as no one knows how old it is. Yes Maxward, the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital has gotten some good reviews that I have read.

BTW which DAC connection to the Bluesound Node 2i gives the best sound?
  • I personally use the coax out.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited September 2020
    Maybe look for a refurb Cambridge CXN V2 on their eBay store.
    It is well within your budget.

BlueSound coax into the CXN would do it.....
    You might even ditch the BlueSound after hearing the CXN...

Otherwise, I’d jump on the Benchmark for sale here..
    It would be perfect , and the price is certainly right !

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I personally use the coax out.

Does the node2i have the same connections as the node2 or does it have USB?
  • Milito
    USB for zip or hard drive only.
  • steveinaz
    I have a 2TB HDD connected to my Node2i, then coaxial to my Benchmark DAC2 DX.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • invalid wrote: »
    TEAforONE wrote: »
    I personally use the coax out.

Does the node2i have the same connections as the node2 or does it have USB?
    Yes, the 2,and2i have the same connections. There are two USB ports. One is for service,the other is for a usb stick.
  • steveinaz
    edited September 2020
    The USB is an INPUT, not an output. Mini-Toslink and coaxial are available on the 2i as digital outputs.
  • The USB port is for external HDD. I don’t think a DAC can be connected thru that port. Unless I’m reading Bluesound’s online instructions incorrectly. It can be connected to a computer to read files.
    The USB port on under the ethernet port is for connecting to a storage device and the mini USB is dedicated to service.
    8zxq0yacdirx.png
  • Milito
    So has anyone heard this one?

https://www.schiit.com/products/bifrost-1

Also anyone have any experience with the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital?

How would they compare with the Benchmark DAC1?
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @Milito are you streaming tidal? If so, do you use the masters with MQA? I don't want to get into a debate on MQA with my post but, i want to point out if you do use tidal masters with MQA, make sure whatever dac you do get is MQA compatible.

All the suggestions mentioned here are spot on. Lots of choices.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Milito
    I use Amazon HD. The Dac will probably be my Christmas present from my wife unless I get a used one.

The Bifrost 2 multibit at $699 got some good reviews. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they thought of it?
  • erniejade
    What type of sound do you prefer? Warm, neutral, or a little bit more on top? Warmer Denafrips Aries II, Neutral Bifrost 2 multibit. I cannot comment on the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 or Benchmark since I have not heard either one.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Milito
    edited September 2020
    I would say warm to neutral. I want the music to be musical not sterile.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I wouldn't worry about MQA, a quality dac without MQA will sound much better than the dac in the bluesound with MQA.
  • erniejade
    invalid wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about MQA, a quality dac without MQA will sound much better than the dac in the bluesound with MQA.

While I agree with most of this statement, they do have many external dac's with MQA. Since the OP said he does not use Tidal, he is free to choose one without it. For Tidal users, MQA can be important to them. I have a couple of dac's. For Tidal I prefer my lumin since it does full MQA. I can hear the difference between the non mqa version and mqa version on my rig. For quobuz, it sounds better on my LKS dac. I was actually thinking of completely dropping Tidal soon but, thats a different subject.

Anyway, since the OP doesn't use tidal or have a need for MQA, I agree with Invalid's statement.
  • Milito
    Thanks for everyone's opinions. I'm looking for one that will sound good with my LSiM 705's and my Music Hall A70.2 integrated amp.
  • erniejade
    I think any of the choices mentioned here will be an improvement and sound good on the 705's. I used to have the 705. They take well to any changes.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Milito wrote: »
    I use Amazon HD. The Dac will probably be my Christmas present from my wife unless I get a used one.

The Bifrost 2 multibit at $699 got some good reviews. I was wondering if anyone here has one and what they thought of it?

I had the Bifrost prior to my DAC1. The DAC1 is hands down a better sound and for sale here by yours truly. Im looking to upgrade to a DAC2 but need the funds from the DAC1. Also, I took the DAC1 out of my rig and went w just the Auralic mini's internal DAC. Listening to Orb without the DAC1 is very noticeable...in a negative sense. PM me and we can work something out if you are still the the market.
  • Milito
    Sent you a pm Kev.
  • steveinaz
    There you go...
  • Smart move!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    If anyone’s thinking about a Node 2i, Audio Advisor is having a $100 off sale.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Node 2i is great.
    I use mine into my Emm.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound