Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Options

Comments

• CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,549
    Options
    As im looking at all these parts, I have to admit, I'm a little overwhelmed and intimidated by it all.

I keep finding other things to do before tearing into these. Not sure if it's subconscious or not!!
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,702
    Options
    Good sound is a journey.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,017
    Options
    As it's said...a journey starts with just the one first step. ;) Good luck and have fun.

I'm going out now and hooking up that ADS L810 cross-over I bought off of eBay.
    I have to hot glue a core back to the board first though.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    I've got a line on a pair of RS-IIb's......looks like the mids are planars instead of cone on the RS-II's. Pictures look good (but don't they always?) They are a couple hours away from here. Seller is asking 1500....which for the RS-IIb's looks to be full retail, however, that seems to be in the ball park for ones that have sold elsewhere. So, will see how much wiggle room there may be.

I'm intrigued by them to be sure......
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    I've got a line on a pair of RS-IIb's......looks like the mids are planars instead of cone on the RS-II's. Pictures look good (but don't they always?) They are a couple hours away from here. Seller is asking 1500....which for the RS-IIb's looks to be full retail, however, that seems to be in the ball park for ones that have sold elsewhere. So, will see how much wiggle room there may be.

I'm intrigued by them to be sure......

I almost bought a pair of IIb's in very very good condition locally to me last summer. But kept telling myself I already have too many speakers. Seller was asking $1300 but think they sold for $1100.

--Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Those planar mids are called EMIM like the EMIT tweeter. Just to help with research you might do on them. I've heard very good things about them.
  • TroyD
    Options
    a grand is about my comfort level on these....so we'll see...
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    Any of you guys want my pair of Kappa 8’s let me know, I’m going to put them up for sale soon.
  • CH46E
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    Any of you guys want my pair of Kappa 8’s let me know, I’m going to put them up for sale soon.

I'm sure someone will scoop them up. Those have servo controlled woofers don't they?
  • CH46E
    Options
    I got one out today so I could remove the drivers and crossover. I cleaned the pots then got thier range of resistance. Then took a center line measurement for both the tweeter and mid pots. Got 2.6 and 2.4 respectively. Now I can order the last resistors I need. I'll see what available for 2.1 to 2.8 or so. No need to be exact I don't think. Right??

All the mids were great for ohms. All three ran 3.4 to 3.5.

Easy to forget how dang heavy these speakers are. :#
  • CH46E
    Options
    TroyD wrote: »
    a grand is about my comfort level on these....so we'll see...

Any progress Troy? @TroyD
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Any plans to dynamat those or is it less necessary with cast frames vs stamped ones? I just dynamatted a set of Altec Lansing computer speakers. I feel like I just crossed over some sort of line.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • CH46E
    Options
    They are pretty stout frams for a 5.5 inch mid. I think I'll pass. But the woofers are a thin stamped frame. I will probably do them with dynomat.
  • TroyD
    Options
    The guy who has them popped positive for Covid 19.....so, we are on hold for the time being. I'm going to be gone for the first two weeks of October so it may be a minute before we get together on them....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    I got one out today so I could remove the drivers and crossover. I cleaned the pots then got thier range of resistance. Then took a center line measurement for both the tweeter and mid pots. Got 2.6 and 2.4 respectively. Now I can order the last resistors I need. I'll see what available for 2.1 to 2.8 or so.

If they are functioning properly, maybe run them a while to determine what setting best suits your ears and room. Then take a reading. I know as resistors go, especially on tweeters, a couple of tenths can be quite noticable. Also this way you can dial them in to match L/R.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    Options
    Thanks. When I had them playing, I had them at the 50% mark and I took that as my measurement.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,437
    Options
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Anyone have experience with Humble Homemade Hifi and crossovers?

I sat down today after getting a nice birch 1/4 plywood to map out where the parts will go. The deeper I get the more I feel I'm way out of my league.

gaqs4fz658xo.jpg
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,186
    edited October 2020
    Options
    No experience except with breadboarding simple experimental circuits. Perhaps you could look at some of these links?:

https://www.startpage.com/do/dsearch?query=how+to+wire+point+to+point+crossover&cat=web&pl=opensearch&language=english

https://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?topic=83325.0
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Options
    They are pretty stout frams for a 5.5 inch mid. I think I'll pass. But the woofers are a thin stamped frame. I will probably do them with dynomat.
    I’m sorry for being “late to the party” on this: consider pipe wrap for the magnets.

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CH46E
    Options
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    I’m sorry for being “late to the party” on this: consider pipe wrap for the magnets.

They are dipole or bipolar or octopole or something like that. Its greek to me. But they are open back and thats part of thier design as is the rear facing tweeter. I think if I put pipe wrap on the mids it would interfere.

Like I said, the mids frames are very solid and stout. When I tap on them there is no ring or resonance at all.
  • classic carl
    classic carl Posts: 648
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I know this is an old thread that has been revived, so here goes. These are FS on another forum for information only. No affiliation. These are in Canton, Ohio.

Infinity RS-II and RS-5b $600

All are typical Infinity oak finish. All drivers work. Woofers have all been re-foamed.

RS-II cabs are presentable and still have both original grills, front and back, and the foam that goes around the back of the mid-range drivers is still in place (this is usually missing). I have not touched or even looked at the crossovers.

The RS-5b are also presentable and have the original grills and cloth. The crossovers are original and they used all film caps, so no need for a re-cap.

Prefer to sell as a set. The RS-5b are basically spare woofers and tweeters for the RS-II.

I have an additional pair of tweeters, a re-foamed woofer (clear-poly, bullet phase plug), and a woofer that needs re-foamed (a later grey-cone woofer, no phase plug) that will go with the package.

2zhil4ymjbs5.jpg

Main System:
    Proton AA-1150 ~ Yamaha C-4 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Sennheiser HD600 ~ Monitor Audio Silver RS8 & FB210 ~ Martin Logan Dynamo ~ Teac R-919X ~ Marantz CD5003 ~ Squeezebox Classic ~ Music Hall dac25.2 ~ Dual 1229/Acutex M312 III STR ~ Music Hall mmf-5.1/Goldring 1012GX ~ Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0

Home Theater:
    Vizio V585-H11 ~ Yamaha RX-V800 ~ Furman Elite-15 DMi ~ Marantz DV6001 ~ EPI M90 ~ Polk Audio RT35i ~ CS400i ~ (2) Polk Audio PSW450

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,606
    Options
    Maybe Danny Richie/GR Research would be willing to take on the crossover build project?
  • CH46E
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Maybe Danny Richie/GR Research would be willing to take on the crossover build project?

No, he said he would need the speakers there to fix other issues with a faulty crossover design. :/
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Oh, that's too bad. I would have thought he'd be willing to construct them to the original specifications, even if there were "flaws" from the factory.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Oh, that's too bad. I would have thought he'd be willing to construct them to the original specifications, even if there were "flaws" from the factory.

Maybe ill reach back out and make sure he understands what I was looking for. I felt my email was pretty clear. But maybe we have a miss communication 🤔
  • Clipdat
    Options
    Yeah just let him know that you have all the components all ready to go as well.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Ok now..... I finally have EVERYTHING I need to start the build.

Got these last parts I today. Changed the plan a few times.

ulyfwc1sn6jy.jpg
    lfww1xtlcsyo.jpg
    xvf1f1onbtxk.jpg
    8kdocfd1pm7c.jpg