Has anyone suspended a sub?

CH46E
CH46E Posts: 3,521
My floor space in tight but I have 10ft ceilings. Has anyone lifted or suspend one off the ground? Maybe closer to the cealing than the floor????

Thanks

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I've seen them in walls, ceilings and employed into coffee tables but never suspended
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    edited August 2020
    I'm looking at a Stereo Integrity 15. So in-wall is out of the question. Lol. As far as ceiling goes it gets to 150 degrees up there in the summer. Id hate to subject it to that heat.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Can't be any worse than the trunk of a black Honda Accord...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • I've hung lots of subs in churches and auditoriums. Most used 3 point suspension to control tilt and minimize sway. The most important thing is safety, use heavy duty bolts with lock washers, and nuts. Never trust lag screws when overhead.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Can't be any worse than the trunk of a black Honda Accord...

Hopefully it sounds better than that though.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Would the whole thing sway with the excursion?
  • CH46E
    joecoulson wrote: »

I was kind of worried about that. I could put a single static brace to prevent that. I also thought opposing drivers might work, but that puts me into a cost and location difficulty I don't want.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I have my two-channel subs sitting on top of my HT subs
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    I've never suspended one before. But I've expelled a few over the years.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    CH46E wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »

I was kind of worried about that. I could put a single static brace to prevent that. I also thought opposing drivers might work, but that puts me into a cost and location difficulty I don't want.

I would think that brace would be the point of contention and either hurt the performance or overly exacerbate vibrations.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,133
    edited September 2020
    I think the 3 chains idea is good, and I would add some 9 in. long extension springs between the chain and the sub for vibration isolation, in which case I'd use 4 chains and 4 springs. I believe the static brace is a good idea a la Matthew Polk's Bass Brace and I would put a sorbothane or isodamp (or the like) bumper on it where it contacts the sub.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    edited September 2020
    Here is a pic of the last subs that I hung in a small town gym. They were dual 12” in each cab band pass models. Used to give a little bass bump to halftime music at the games. houspvzb63du.jpeg

Use aircraft cabling for strength and invisibility. I painted cabling and all hangers black if the speakers were black against black ceilings.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • afterburnt
    The only thing I would be concerned with equal and opposite movement muddying things up.
  • afterburnt
    Also do you have some James Bond like suction cups to do the sub crawl?
  • CH46E
    these are all great questions in response to mine. Maybe its not worth exploring this as an option. To many variables and like afterburner said, how am I gonna sub crawl that for placment?