Magnifi Max default volume

Options
Hi All,

I recently purchased a Magnifi Max sound bar and have been enjoying it thus far. However...

I immediately noticed after I got it set up the default volume is very close to the maximum setting. Is there any way to change this? So far I've put up with it... But...

My partner has sensory issues and any loud/sudden/startling noises can set off intense twitches and seizure activity.

Just now I powered on to listen to music, conscious of the fact listed above I checked the volume and set it to 3 dots.

As I have a TV, separate Chromecast (HDMI) and vinyl player (AUX) all connected I needed to ensure I had the correct setting to stream from Spotify to the Chromecast plugged into HDMI 1.

Pressed TV, checked it was still 3 dots volume.
Pressed HDMI 1, checked again and it was still 3 dots volume.

Cool, open Spotify... Connect to Chromecast and it auto-plays the track AT AN IMMENSE VOLUME. My partner screamed and got stuck, her whole body locked up and she almost fell off her stool, body-locked, bordering on falling into a seizure.

Does anyone have any suggestion on how to make this thing properly hold its volume settings? Cause this is just silly.

Comments

• LeeSoFL
    LeeSoFL Posts: 118
    Options
    All the wired inputs to the TV via ARC, as well as devices plugged into the soundbar retain the level at which they were last used. If I go to Bluetooth, such as an app on my iPhone, the volume that hits the soundbar is whatever the phone volume is set to.

I don't know if this helps?
  • Ezkaton
    Ezkaton Posts: 9
    Options
    Not particularly.

I'm not using Bluetooth here, I'm streaming to the Chromecast via WiFi. No matter what, as soon as a new cast is initiated after turning the sound bar on, it's at like 7 dots volume rather than the 2-3 it was on prior to casting. :(
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,528
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I wonder if the idea here is to control the volume with the Chromecast through the mobile device.

With a softer track in Spotify or one with a quiet lead-in to give you a chance to turn down the volume, try connecting to the Chromecast, and then immediately reduce the volume from your mobile device.

Turn it way down, to about 1/4. You should see the volume control from your phone should acting on the Chromecast's volume, and it should indicate that it is the Chromecast's volume.

Then change the playback back your phone and exit Spotify. Close it from recents. Maybe even restart your phone. This part is just to see if the setting sticks.

Once back up, start Spotify, again, and cast. Is the cast volume still where you left it?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Ezkaton
    Ezkaton Posts: 9
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @msg I'll give it a try next time I'm planning to listen to music. I can't stand having so many different methods of volume control...

Further investigation reveals this appears to be largely exclusive to Spotify.

So far YouTube retains the set pre-cast volume, as does Stan (Australian owned Netflix equivalent) and Netflix itself.

Spotify just blasts to 7 dots as soon as I cast, and to top it off as soon as it completes the cast it just auto-plays whatever song is sitting there.

Spotify doesn't behave like this casting directly to the TV, or other Bluetooth speakers, etc.

Would this suggest it's a speaker issue, or should I try look deeper at my Spotify and Chromecast settings?

EDIT:
    I did some more testing and casting Spotify to the internal Chromecast maintains its last-used volume, however, switching the Spotify cast to the external Chromecast... BAM, 7 dots volume.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,528
    Options
    If the Chromecast/Magnifi combo isn't saving the last lower volume setting using Spotify, here's another work around you can try:
    1. Start Spotify, but don't start the track yet, or stop it.
    2. Next, begin to cast to the external Chromecast (I think this is the only place you're seeing the problem and only with Spotify?)
    3. Drop the volume on the Magnifi.
    4. Then tap Play. It should play at the reduced level.

Yeah, it can get complicated when we try to integrate a bunch of different devices.
    They're designed to be flexible for a number of setups. Sometimes that means more configuration and experimentation. Usually worth it once you get the processes nailed.

Try the above and take some time playing around with it to find out which works best/easiest/sounds best.
    I disabled signatures.
  • ralflen
    Options
    I realize this is an old thread but I have simmilar issue and I dont see the solution in this dialogue. I have mij cable receiver on HDMI1 and my chromecast on HDMI2, whenever the soundbar is switched on, the FIRST time I activate chromecast on my iPhone, the sound level is MAX, very annoing if you forget to bring it back before starting a movie. If I switch between HDMI1 and HDMI2 on the sound bar, the level remains at where I put it. However after power down and power on the sound bar..... MAX sound level.
    Is there a solution for this??

Thanks,
    Ron