Sub Frequency Level

2»

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Yes - it's bass range you're describing, and by raising the crossover point, you're increasing the range of the bass frequencies you're passing to your subs. So in a sense, yes, "more bass".

"More bass" is a subjective term. It requires context. It can mean different things:
    • Greater volume (more impact; greater sound pressure level)
    • Deeper bass (lower frequency)
    • Wider range of bass frequencies (this can give the sense of greater fill)
    I disabled signatures.
  • simoes
    simoes Posts: 71
    edited August 2020
    What would be the benefit of setting the frequency at 40Hz? Wouldn't you be missing out on a lot of base and deeper overall sound?
    Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
    Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
    Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
    Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited August 2020
    simoes wrote: »
    What would be the benefit of setting the frequency at 40Hz? Wouldn't you be missing out on a lot of base and deeper overall sound?

No those would be sent to the mains and rears if the correct slope is picked on the AVR. Your sub would just handle the 40hz and below.

What you need to make sure you are doing is let the AVR do the processing and turn up the XO on the sub all the way up. The last thing you need is cascading crossovers.

Example you set the AVR to 80hz and below the sub XO set to 80hz and below would be an example of box XO's trying to do the same work(cascading). Set the AVR XO to 80hz and the sub XO all the way up as far as it can go (120-200hz) on most.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You would be lower missing the bass levels that your subwoofers are designed for and directing nearly all your bass to the speakers. What you are trying do accomplish is getting the best settings for each of your speakers and let the other take over where it excels in sound.

When you can see the chart I attached where the speakers rolls off at certain frequencies ...I have included the sweet spots in the red ovals

2rwe1voj5my0.png

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/polk-rti-a9-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited August 2020
    I disabled signatures.
  • txcoastal1
    Here is a frequency chart for instruments. Movies are different as LFE also pressurizes a room to give you that rumbling theater effect. That why in many cases with people having large rooms and small subs and don't get the bass they want.

q7fl18ozc7vi.png
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• simoes
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    No those would be sent to the mains and rears if the correct slope is picked on the AVR.

But I would have to go full range (large) on the mains and rears, right?
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    What you need to make sure you are doing is let the AVR do the processing and turn up the XO on the sub all the way up.

90Hz is the max setting on the VTF-15H MK2. If I control LFE with the AVR, the sub XO is set to "OUT" and disengages the sub XO. If I want the sub to handle LFE, I set the XO on the sub to "IN".

Projector - Optoma CinemaX P1 | Screen - Elunevision 120" Aurora 8k Ultra Short Throw NanoEdge
    Media - HTPC: 120 TB Movies, Nvidia Shield | AVR - Denon AVR-X3700H | Amp - Outlaw 5000, Outlaw 2200 x 3, Outlaw 2220 x 2
    Front Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA9 | Center Spkr - Polk Audio CSiA6 | Surround Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA7
    Rear Spkrs - Polk Audio RTiA5 | Atmos - Polk Audio RTiA1 | Sub - HSU VTF-15H MK2 x 2
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2020
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • simoes
    I understand by setting the XO at 40Hz, the mains and rears would handle everything above that. It's just that the 6-7" drivers in those speakers don't produce the same sound as the 15" drivers. Overall, generally speaking, the sound appears to be more richer/full when I select a higher frequency due to the fact the mains/rears have small drivers.
  • pitdogg2
    simoes wrote: »
    I understand by setting the XO at 40Hz, the mains and rears would handle everything above that. It's just that the 6-7" drivers in those speakers don't produce the same sound as the 15" drivers. Overall, generally speaking, the sound appears to be more richer/full when I select a higher frequency due to the fact the mains/rears have small drivers.

Even some larger 12-15 drivers have a hard time creating the SPL in a 3-4way speaker. They just do not have the motor structure most subs have. Subs are designed around that small frequency zone to deliver louder SPL.
    Let the subs do the work.
  • simoes
    After work, I'm going to try the various things you guys suggested!! My wife is going to hate me tonight...
  • txcoastal1
    When playing movies the rear speakers only get supplemental signals and sounds.
    Mostly in mid-range and upper frequencies.

• txcoastal1
    If you set your speakers to small and crossover at 40hz you will get hardly nothing from your subs

• simoes
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    If you set your speakers to small and crossover at 40hz you will get hardly nothing from your subs

That's what I'm talking about. I don't get the benefit :# I set it to 100Hz and the wife starts losing her **** on the second floor...
  • txcoastal1
    Well then you have 2 choices...get rid of the wife or the home theater...

FYI...I love my home theater ;)

• simoes
    Well then you have 2 choices...get rid of the wife or the home theater...

No brainer...the home theater doesn't complain/nag and brings me complete joy lol

• txcoastal1
    So now we know the truth
    You went out and bought A new home theater and you forgot the new purse and roses

‘‘Tis ‘tis :p

• pitdogg2
    I'm sure it was a rookie mistake 🤣
  • simoes
    edited August 2020
    Another question, if I configure the AVR at 90Hz and set LFE settings to sub only and set the mains to full range, will the AVR only send frequencies over 90Hz to the mains (or still send LFE) levels. I'm thinking that might be ideal so I can get some bass and mid range from the mains?
  • txcoastal1
    Does the AVR a low you to set different crossover settings for fronts and rears etc

Or all speakers with one setting?

• simoes
    edited August 2020
    all speakers are one setting, but it allows me to select the LFE setting between sub or sub+main
  • txcoastal1

• simoes
    that article is really helpful...all this info is awesome!!!
  • fish357
    fish357 Posts: 304
    edited November 2020
    So now we know the truth
    You went out and bought A new home theater and you forgot the new purse and roses

‘‘Tis ‘tis :p

When I was married, I never forgot the purse, as that’s where my ex kept my testes. :/
    Uhh, hey, think I could borrow those for the night, please?