Single disc Cd player Great sound???

Clay19
Clay19 Posts: 27
edited April 2002 in Electronics
I have a set of Rt55i's that i was powering with a cheap sony receiver. But recently i sold that, and moved up to an Adcom GTP-502 Preamp and a Musical Designs D-75 Amp. The music has so much more authority and clarity at higher volumes but overall the sound is that much better than it was with the sony reciever.
I am currently using a sony CE375 5 disc changer which is their $129 model. I guess this Cd player is not even close to the rest of my equipment in sonic quality, so i guess the preamp/amp cannot sound that sucks to begin with and make it breathtaking. Is there a CD player out there by any manufacturer with great sound in the $300-500 price range? If i have to get only single disc capability in order to get great sound that is fine with me.

Thanks in advance guys.
-Adcom GTP-502 Preamp
-Musical Designs D-75 Amp
-Polk Ebony LSi9's
-Sony NS500V SACD/CD/DVD
-Velodyne CHT-10
Post edited by Clay19 on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Check out offerings from AMC, Cambridge Audio, Rotel, and NAD....

Most have good internal DAC's (look for 24bit), not a lot of bells and whistles, but a good, clean, simple build, and Audiophile grade components internally...

There are others, but that should get you started....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2002
    Last month i bought a Toshiba SD4700 single disc DVD player. I wanted it for the DVD-audio capabilities. I like the sound it puts out.. i upgraded from a three year old Toshiba SD3109 two disc player. I've had good luck with the Toshiba players so far two times now.
    Whatever player you decide on... think about going with either a SACD or DVD-A player.. you may not be interested in that format right now.. but I think it's going to reallly take off in the next year or two.. and you'd be one step ahead of everyone else. The sound that comes from a DVD-A or SACD player is simply amagzing to listen to.
    The Toshiba SD4700 sells for about $230... the money you save you can splurge on good cables (DVD-A) takes 6 RCA cables from the player to your receiver. or you can buy a bunch of DVD-A music. just some thoughts.
    good luck.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Steve@3dai
    Steve@3dai Posts: 983
    edited April 2002
    Also check out the Arcam CD players, the lowest end model (I think it's the 62) is like $600.

I LOVE my Arcam AVR-200 5.1 amp, and I have a 2 channel Arcam A65plus amp, I love that too.

- Steve
    LSi 9/C/FX
    Arcam AVR-200