Von Schweikert VR2 thoughts

I've seen the glowing reviews from Halo. Anyone else with any experience with these? There's a pair local to me that I'm tempted to pick up. I love my SRS 2's, but toying with trying something new....and the increased WAF certainly doesn't hurt.
ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables

Comments

• dagame27
    dagame27 Posts: 560
    Haha, she WILL NOT win that argument!
    ChrisPreamp: Anthem Pre 2L (Jan-Phillips Green) Processor: Integra DHC 80.2Amp: B&K 200.5Streaming: Bluesound Node 2IDAC: Eastern Electric Minimax Plus4K Bluray: Panasonic UB820Mains: Von Schweikert VR2Center: Von Schweikert LCR15Analysis Plus Cables
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Those Von Schweikert VR2's sure look beautiful!

I think she'd be very happy.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dagame27
    The increase in WAF is obvious, but i have some room to negotiate there.....any thoughts on the sound? I'm probably 70% HT, but definitely grt enjoyment from two channel music
  • Tony M
    I've never heard their speaker lines. There's got to be tons of reviews and comments and videos too.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    dagame27 wrote: »
    Haha, she WILL NOT win that argument!

Hahaha, notice the new sound bar there??? I did not think she would win this one either. But I still have my game room.

4wydfks57kya.jpg
  • dagame27
    It's good to have choices! I'll picked them up today and will out them through the paces. I figure I'll keep whatever I prefer.....or both :)
  • dagame27
    7k4shyh0bamo.jpg
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    7k4shyh0bamo.jpg

Nice man. Everything in my living room is going bye bye. She only wants the t. And a sou d bar on the wall. So...... well...... walks away with head down

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    7k4shyh0bamo.jpg

So...how do they sound? Surely they can compete with the SDA soundstage, but what about other aspects?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dagame27
    I am still working on proper positioning, but have done some basic A/B. Yes, SDA soundstage is quite a bit larger. I've noticed more depth with the vr2. The vr2 seems to be more laid back on the top end. Bass is fast, but not as deep as the SDA. So far, not better or worse, just different. However....the wife says they look REALLY nice :) I'll put upsome more thoughts up once I have everything positioned the way I like.
  • rooftop59
    I am still working on proper positioning, but have done some basic A/B. Yes, SDA soundstage is quite a bit larger. I've noticed more depth with the vr2. The vr2 seems to be more laid back on the top end. Bass is fast, but not as deep as the SDA. So far, not better or worse, just different. However....the wife says they look REALLY nice :) I'll put upsome more thoughts up once I have everything positioned the way I like.

Sounds like your fate is sealed my friend. Enjoy!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    I heard VR2 at Victor's place in the past, it's a good solid speaker.

@halo
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited August 2020
    One of my all time favorites. Yes, the bass is fast and deep. Transmission line enclosure. The rear ambiance driver will help to open up the soundstage a bit if you can pull them farther away from the front wall. Enjoy the VR-2’s! They did sell a matching center channel and surround speakers to match if you want the full HT experience ;)

You can experiment with the amount of poly fill in the transmission line enclosure, fill the speakers with lead shot, and tweak the level of rear firing ambiance driver. Very friendly to adjustments.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • dagame27
    Thanks all. I'm in the process of buying a matching center. I'll probably add a sub, not sure of surrounds. This room layout makes it difficult to add.
  • dagame27
    I haven't found a center yet, but I did add an svs sb13 ultra I found local. That should add some bass for HT. I've never owned a subwoofer before!
  • Tony M
    I haven't found a center yet, but I did add an svs sb13 ultra I found local. That should add some bass for HT. I've never owned a subwoofer before!

You're about to hear bass that will blow your mind!

You'll be mad you didn't own one before now. ;)
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    That's another great find, the SB13U, what a way to jump into subs.
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • rooftop59

Yea buddy! The only SVS I’ve ever owned (or heard) was an entry level PB10 and that thing blows anything Polk ever made out or anything in my local Best Buy our of the water!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • dagame27
    I'm pretty impressed, and all I've watched was Frozen II with my daughter lol. I have it hooked up to my processor, so only for HT. I figured the vr2 goes low enough for 2 channel music.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    A lot of the Pixar movies have insanely low bass. Finding Nemo - Darla scene where she taps on the fish tank. :smiley:
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    ^^^^^Yep! That was the first test I played when I picked up my SVS PB12plus/2. Unfortunately, I did it late after my wife when to bed. She came running downstairs asking if there was an earthquake!