Finally getting my crossover knowledge increased thanks to this ADS L810 repair.

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,015
edited July 2020 in Speakers
Man have I learned a lot in the past 2 days and nights. But it's just the beginning. B)

I learned my Braun speakers have ADS on the grills, mids, tweeter and cabinet face! :o
I thought I read Braun over the years...
Maybe I have a set of Brauns around here also. :D

How much I'll remember is another thing. I just watched some videos on current flow in circuits and what capacitors, inductors and resistors do to it. This is unreal! :s Many more days ahead are needed for sure! I still have a lot more to learn!
But at least this is a start.

Starting to learn :) ;
tb6kslbj76gg.png
uqs7p899q59i.png
civ636i51o9j.png
tujvvow3mkid.png
odaef48zglxq.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• drumminman
    drumminman Posts: 3,396
    Options
    I had a pair of ADS 700’s years ago ( yes ADS were rebadged Brauns ) and always want the 810’s. Hope you’ll keep us updated on your progress and post listening impressions when you complete this project.
    "Science is suppose to explain observations not dismiss them as impossible" - Norm on AA; 2.3TL's w/sonicaps/mills/jantzen inductors, Gimpod's boards, Lg Solen SDA inductors, RD-0198's, MW's dynamatted, Armaflex speaker gaskets, H-nuts, brass spikes, Cardas CCGR BP's, upgraded IC Cable, Black Hole Damping Sheet strips, interior of cabinets sealed with Loctite Power Grab, AI-1 interface with 1000VA A-L transformer
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    Options
    Do they have Peerless Tweeters? I always thought that dome midrange was pretty cool. A friend had ADS's back in late 70's.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    edited August 2020
    Options
    crossovers? L, C, and R.

ads were, in essence, rebadged Brauns in the early years -- indeed, very early on, I think ads may have been a (the?) US distributor for Braun's loudspeakers (maybe hifi electronics, too? -- I am too lazy to google).

Over time, ads diverged from their "Braun" heritage.

Old(er) or new(er), there were many, many very fine loudspeakers bearing the 'ads' and/or the 'Braun' badges. I'd've bought ads loudspeakers when I bought my Monitor7As, but the similarly sized ads were way more 'spensive.

I cannot ever recall seeing any ads or Braun products with any Peerless drivers (tweeters or otherwise) -- but I could be wrong. Braun was Germans, and y'all know that them Germans can be a little persnickety about stuff that ain't German. ;)

(I am about 25% German, so I feel a certain right to poke fun at 'em/myself)

• Tony M
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Do they have Peerless Tweeters? I always thought that dome midrange was pretty cool. A friend had ADS's back in late 70's.

Yup...Peerless tweeter too. :p I might've posted with really knowing. I just assumed due their look. I might still have the one laying outside the cabinet. I go check right now.

I haven't done anything except order some cast resistors for them. I'm sure one of those OLD block capacitors is bad. I have 4 caps on the board to examine very soon. I've been doing a lot of other stuff around here and put the project on hold. I had a guy that was going to help but he's quarantining close to home I guess.

But I did meet a nice guy night before last who bought my 4 MCS towers. He says he's a master electronics repairman now. Turntable too. He lives 4 hours away but said email is just as good with good pictures for him to look at. So that is a God send! He said he's teach me anything I needed to know about stereo and speaker repair. B)

Going out to look at that tweeter...

Doc...You're right again! ;):p They have ADS on the faceplate. A9 on their back. The midrange has ADS on its faceplate too.

I'm still at this point. (pic) BUT...I have 2 cross-overs now to learn on. I ordered one from eBay. I was just going to temporarily hook up the one from eBay and see if it works but I noticed one choke was loose on it. The solder is loose on both pins. I don't think there will be a problem with it after I touch it with a hot tip.
    hmfldcdxh704.png

ewgfk53a5c1v.png

But to get/buy new caps that are the size of these originals is my wall to break down / through! Maybe this guy from Winston Salem will be my advisor for years to come.
    Post edited by Tony M on
  • Tony M
    Options
    Well, I finally fixed my bad ADS L810 between yesterday and today.

The new cross-over I bought off of eBay worked fine. I still don't know where to buy block capacitors yet. No learning on that topic at all. :/

Here's a few pictures. It was like heart surgery! I had limited wire and limited space to work in. But it turned out ok and IT WORKS. :D

This too was fun. One speaker wire set at a time. Methodical!

The Polk RTi12s are next on my list. Tweeter resistors. I already have them here. Those Mills brand.

Anyway, these pics show a lot. :D

ckduawh9dyya.png

q6e45ddamrqv.png

1y36fmut4h55.png

qodwk97r7i1d.png

776lsvyxx1m5.png

6wsupbpg1cvn.png

Now to see if the other one still plays ok... :#:)
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,182
    edited September 2020
    Options
    I always loved ADS speakers. Do they have the metal grilles? Picture #5.......Dynamat that!! Keep us posted :)
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,032
    Options
    e2l9e7dxbq0d.png
    Obi-Wan has taught you well, young Clip Lead Jedi.

• Tony M
    Options
    Cloth grills, of which need replacing.

They're not hideous but a refresh would make these look newer. The cabinets need some TLC also.