Speaker Stands and the LSiM703's

Options
Just purchased a pair of 703's. Any suggestions on a speaker stand. I'm looking for a 24 or 26".

Thanks.

Comments

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,426
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Do you have a budget figure in mind? Might scour nearby 2nd hand markets.

Sanus SF (Or the UF series if you can find them. They were discontinued years ago) - https://www.sanus.com/en_US/products/speaker-stands/sf26/

Pangea DS400 - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EXF6X0I/

Skylan - http://www.skylanstands.com/

There's also this Monolith brand I just saw on Amazon. Similar to the Pangea DS400 design and much cheaper. I'm not sure at all of the quality here, though.
    https://www.amazon.com/Monolith-Inch-Speaker-Stand-Each/dp/B076HX81WZ/

Pangea LS300 - https://www.amazon.com/Pangea-Audio-LS300-Speaker-Stand/dp/B01EVI3YMM/

I've used the Sanus SF26 and the Pangea DS300, which is similar to the DS400 - four pillars. I prefer the DS400 for its greater mass loading capability over the SF26, and it's completely solid and doesn't move at all. The Sansus SF26 is slightly wiggly side to side if you give the speakers a slight nudge. Not flimsy, though.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 477
    Options
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100 | 150” Elite Screen Acoustic Pro UHD
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I have the skylans and he made a custome top plate for them too.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,053
    Options
    Where are you located? I’ve got a pair of the Sanus linked above in a closet collecting dust.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • The Doors
    The Doors Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! They point me in the right direction. By looking at most of the stands, it seems the top plate may not be larger enough for the 703's. ??
    PSOVLSK, I'm located in Southern California.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,871
    Options
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    edited June 2020
    Options
    The Doors wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions! They point me in the right direction. By looking at most of the stands, it seems the top plate may not be larger enough for the 703's. ??
    I used to think that, but the top plate doesn't necessarily need to be the same size as the speaker footprint. Your speakers are going to be either isolated from or coupled to the top plate with your choice of hard feet or squishy feet, maybe some Sorbothane pads. They won't move once you place them, and you just set them so the weight's distributed properly.

@marvda1 Marvin, neat product linked above. Can you talk about why it would be beneficial in general, or is it more to address really small top plates used with unusually large speakers?

@Mikey081057 can you talk about how you came to order a custom top plate on your Skylans?

With 703s on a different set of stands, I don't have feet on the speakers. Instead, I have 3M tacky hard rubber pads on the top plate of my stands, and the speakers are bare. This allows more placement flexibility and ability to place other speakers on the stand for evaluation.

I've also used acoustic foam isolation pads on top of stands with small footprint. Pretty stable.
    I disabled signatures.
  • marvda1
    Options
    it was designed for smaller top plates and to fit their speaker isolation devices.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    Options
    Ah, I can see where that would be beneficial. When I've used the acoustic iso foam, I had minor concern at first for stability since the foam was a little larger than the top plates. On some speaker stands with smaller top plates, yes, this can be a little wiggly, but seems okay when the speaker is directly placed.
    I disabled signatures.
  • The Doors
    Options
  • msg
    Options
    Here's a link to a Google search on the forum for anything mentioning Transdeco. There were quite a few posts on them. I think some used them for 703s.

In a Google search bar, type, without quotes, "transdeco site:forum.polkaudio.com"
    Or click this link - https://bit.ly/3cYHm5c for a list.
    I disabled signatures.
  • The Doors
    Options
  • PSOVLSK
    Options

Well, that’s not gonna work out😟. I’m in Texas.
    FYI: I used the stands I’ve got with 703’s with no issues.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • marvda1
    edited June 2020
    Options
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

what's the measurement of the top plate?

the isoacoustics plate is 6.75w x 8.25d
    Puritan PSM156
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Skylan Stands are top notch, worth every penny and then some.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• PSOVLSK
    Options
    marvda1 wrote: »
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

what's the measurement of the top plate?

the isoacoustics plate is 6.75w x 8.25d

I just eyeballed them in the closet and they are about 6”x6”. Maybe 6.5”x6.5”.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options

There is also the diy stands. I've been itching to build a pair but have no use for them. I can help if you're in SD.

you want to buy a 706C to go with them 703's?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • The Doors
    Options
    I just purchased the 24" Pangea Audio DS400 Heavy Duty Speaker Stands.

No center speaker for me. Thanks anyway.
  • msg
    Options
    Cool, they should work pretty well. Here's a build thread I did that you may find some helpful tips in:
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/170506/pangea-speaker-stands-build-ds300-28-inch/p1

Also, and not sure I mentioned it in the build thread, I placed the sticky feet on the top plates of the stands, not on the speaker bottoms. The reason for this is that it allows for more flexible placement of the speaker on the stand. In other words, you can place any speaker on the stand in any position, and not have to worry about matching up the feet in exactly the right spot on the bottom of a speaker to be on the plate.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dfp771
    dfp771 Posts: 4
    Options
    I have the HTD speaker stands for my 703's. They are 28" high and put the tweeter at ear level . They work well for me. https://www.htd.com/speaker-stands
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,787
    Options
    Those cannot be mass loaded, no bueno.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk