SDA 2B Blade/Blade Question

I picked up a pair of SDA 2Bs today and the previous owner said he had switched back plates from a pin/blade to a blade/blade type. After searching some of the forum, most of the comments around this discuss that difference pertaining to when they were manufactured. Is there a downside to doing this, or something else I should check that should be done when making this change? I'm assuming no dreadnaught setup and common ground amps only with the blade/blade.

Previous owner also mentioned he did the RD0-198 tweeter upgrade and the appropriate capacitor update along with them. For now, I'll be powering these with an NAD T775 in 2-channel stereo mode.
Home Theater - Talon Firebird (Fronts), Talon Raven 2002 (Surrounds), Talon Cinema Hawk (Ctr), Talon Falcon (Back Surrounds), JL Audio Fathom F112 Sub
Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
Amps - Sim Audio Moon Titan 5 channel, Modwright KWH 225i
Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203
Projector - Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5040UB
Screen - Silver Tickets MPT 110"

Primary 2 Channel - Talon Firebirds
Modwright KWH 225i Integrated Amp
Oppo BDP-103, Audio Research DAC 8

Secondary 2 Channel - Polk SDA 2B
NAD T775, Denon 2900 DVD-A/SACD

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I think the person was full of it. There's no reason in the world to do that. You'll have to open them up to see exactly what you have.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Here's what the right channel looks like. I'm already a bit suspicious about the tweeters. ssojzal60beb.jpg
    yj6jxinp6oqf.jpg
    nlm0vk9757u7.jpg
    357xpwondzk1.jpg
    Home Theater - Talon Firebird (Fronts), Talon Raven 2002 (Surrounds), Talon Cinema Hawk (Ctr), Talon Falcon (Back Surrounds), JL Audio Fathom F112 Sub
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    The tweeters appear to be RDO-198's but the crossovers don't look right.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • F1nut
    Huh What? wrote: »
    Here's what the right channel looks like. I'm already a bit suspicious about the tweeters.

Ok, unfortunately some hack has been at your speakers. Let's start with the drivers. Whatever crap they put around the magnet and extending onto the basket isn't going to prevent a possible magnet shift because they didn't put anything around the top of the magnet. If you can't remove that crap at least put an adhesive around the top.

Whatever crap they used for the driver gaskets remove it and replace with speaker gasket material from Parts Express.

There's something going on with the blue and white SDA wire connections. They should be fully covered in that sealer material. However, the SDA socket body is an original as the rivets haven't been touched. Please post a pic with the blue and white wires disconnected and also a pic of the socket from the outside.

I've seen hand written labels on crossovers before, so that could be original. The white cap should read 5.8uF and was added in order to use the RD0198 tweeter. Verify it is a 5.8uF.

This is an original 2B pin/blade crossover.
    vekjssgxamg7.jpg

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    Did they tell you why they supposedly switched the pin/blade binding post plate for a blade/blade version?

President of Club Polk

• I believe the reason was due to a damaged speaker connect post, but I could be wrong. The material around the basket appears to be something like plumbing dope and I think I can remove it. I have some gasket material left over from when I did the 2.3 TLs, so when I get some time to do that I'll post more pictures. I appreciate the feedback.
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203

• F1nut
    edited August 2020
    Wow, that's a stupid reason. He could have simply replaced the damaged post. Even better he could have upgraded all of them.

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    From the info so far it appears you do have pin/blade 2B's, so you can use the Dreadnought if you wanted. Consider upgrading the SDA connections to Neutrik SpeakOn regardless.

If you don't, be sure seal all the unsealed areas on the back of the current binding post plates.

President of Club Polk

• Thanks F1nut. Hopefully I'll have a chance to dig into them this week.
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203

• It appears the left channel has been left mostly untouched. There is more plumbing putty around the plate for the speaker binding posts/IC connection. If anyone wants to see a specific part of these speakers pictured to assist me with getting them to a reasonably normal state, I'm happy to oblige.

dm7t4i7nfkoa.jpg
    ck8kmryy3fij.jpg
    39iczv93x4my.jpg
    ajxo29y3l11d.jpg
    uw0y51dciciy.jpg
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2020
    Well eventually you'll need to cover the binding posts and b/b sockets with hot melt glue if you plan on keeping them like that. The more air tight you can get the cabinet the better.
  • I reached back out to the seller and he said when he bought the speakers they had the blade/blade connections, but that he had to track down the IC cable. If I do anything it will be the Speakon upgrade I suppose. One thing at a time. Need to get them cleaned up, properly sealed, and test them out.
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203

• F1nut
    edited August 2020
    The story keeps changing....lol

President of Club Polk

• Why the jumper from blade to the neg post. Wouldn’t that be only if a dreadnaught was being used?
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • F1nut
    edited August 2020
    That connection is required in order to use an isolation transformer, so all the pin/blade models came that way. Whomever swapped the original P/B binding posts plates for the B/B took the white wire off the P/B and installed it on the B/B. Again, why they didn't change a single binding post instead of what they did boggles the mind at their stupidity.
    Post edited by F1nut on

President of Club Polk

• gimpod
    gimpod Posts: 1,793
    But wait there could be even more half-donkeyed butchery going here.!

Look at the binding post nuts no hot glue at all, it's been removed why to replace wires and/or posts.? Also look at the b/B I.C. connectors the white wires faston looks funky (glued/taped or poorly soldered).

Now for the crossover notice there's something missing for TL mod, The jumper between pads E & H (unless it was done on the back side) without connection that 5.8uf cap is not in the circuit making useless.

FWIW: If these were mine I'd go over them with a fine tooth comb.
    “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.” ~ Mark Twain
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    Get a set of Gimpod boards already.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • F1nut
    xschop wrote: »
    Get a set of Gimpod boards already.

That's right, get'em now 'cause once they are gone, they are gone for good.

President of Club Polk

• Huh What?
    Huh What? Posts: 55
    edited August 2020
    I was able to get the "putty" off the drivers as well as make new gaskets for the drivers and radiators. I'll see if I can get more pics posted this weekend that better highlight the crossovers and binding posts.

As for Gimpod boards, I don't know if these particular speakers are worth going down the rabbit hole for. Don't get me wrong, I love the SDA sound and considered crossover upgrades for both my 2.3 TLs and 1.2 TLs before selling them. I'm using the 2Bs as a secondary system in the master bedroom and don't have a lot of money invested in that system. I'll wait for the forum's feedback when I get the new pictures posted and go from there.
    Pre/Pro - Classe SSP-800
    Blu-Ray - Oppo UDP-203