afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Lol it was the only thing available in my former corner of the world
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    $80/month for gigabit up&down
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    $89/mo for Optimum 400
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,635
    $80/mo... 300mbps non-throttled.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    Most days, I am finding the extra money I spend for Optimum 400 doesn't really seem worth it. I consistently only get around 250Mbps no matter what, but they don't limit your bandwidth so that's a plus. Uploads are the same (40 Mbps) no matter which download package you pay for, though I don't think that makes enough of a difference to complain about.

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    There are some advantages to living in Texas...600 downstream for $50, had 300 for $40 which was fine before the wife and I and four children are all online all frickin day every work day...more competition here keeps the prices very reasonable...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    We pay too much, but there's really only one provider choice here if you want fast. 85.95/mo for 100 Mbps.
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    $65 for 15mbps...good thing we like living here.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited August 2020
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    $80/mo for DSL, land line and unlimited long distance calling. I wish we had a choice but don't.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • xschop
    DaveHo wrote: »
    We pay too much, but there's really only one provider choice here if you want fast. 85.95/mo for 100 Mbps.
    muncybob wrote: »
    $80/mo for DSL, land line and unlimited long distance calling. I wish we had a choice but don't.

"Competition is a sin".... JD Rockefeller
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited August 2020
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    WOW folks still use DSL? Who knew?

In some places, it's either that or satellite based service.

As for me, it's hard to say 'cause it's cheaper to get a package for TV, Internet and Voice than it is to just get internet access.

If I just had TV and sourced internet elsewhere, I'd be paying $160 a month for the "digital preferred" package just so I could get the channels I want to watch (HBO, Science Channel, Smithsonian Channel, and what was Velocity but isn't worth watching anymore). But I'd be limited with DSL from Verizon at only a 1.6 meg connection for $60 a month or a 3rd party reseller for DSL, same speeds 'cause their using Verizon's network anyway, at $75 a month. Or I could get a 3.5 meg satellite based service for about $100 a month. So it'd be $220-$260 a month for TV and Internet Service. Plus $50 a month for phone service if I wanted it. Add about $55 in taxes to it too. So over $300, easily.

But going with a "triple play" package from Comcrap gets me 350 meg Internet service, the digital preferred package and voice service for $190 plus only about $40 in taxes and fees. So I'm at $230-$240 a month for this depending on what surcharges NJ slaps on me.

If I just got Internet access, the bill would be about $175 a month which is insane but if you plan on doing streaming services, they make you get a higher level of access which ends up being about $220-$240 a month. Both prices are without taxes and fees. It's highway robbery.

If I could get FiOS in my neighborhood, I would gladly ditch all of this, sign up for gig service to my house, run my own gig switch and go streaming services for everything ditching the Cable TV subscription. The FiOS bill would probably hover right around $150 a month which is still high but almost $1200 a year less than what I'm stuck with spending now. Since I work from home, I can't have any less of a service level because I wouldn't be able to get anything done when everyone was home playing video games and stupid virtual meetings to gab with their friends about horseshit.

But Verizon and Comcast have an agreement not to overlap their coverage areas. So the next house about a 1/4 mile up the road has FiOS service but it stops at the town border. So even though the house is literally right next to mine, despite being a 1/4 mile apart, they have FiOS and I can't get it.

Also, FiOS and pretty much any fiber optic based service is a DSL service. DSL stands for Digital Subscriber Line. DSL is synonymous with slow, now, because the original tech relies on two sets of twisted pairs (copper phone line) to get the bandwidth it advertises. Also your proximity to your switching station matters too. Within 3/4ths of a mile and you will see your max DSL speed. The farther away you are the worse it gets. If you are more than like 5 miles from your switching station, they typically won't even sell you DSL service and give you a dial up modem. But FiOS and other fiber optic services are the same DSL tech just using much faster network tech so the bandwidth is 100 times more than a low-end DSL or dial up service. So in that respect, anyone with a fiber connection not coming through a cable company is a DSL subscriber. Any fancy names for it is just marketing speak.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Nothing
    and they picked up the cost of the gaming license.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Chula Vista and great Cox cable 300/30 for $100 a month. No other choice but this. We get a 1.25TB limit per month.

AT&T keeps saying sign up gigabit is around the corner, been hearing that for 3 years now.

No other real choice for fast internet her in PRC. My bro in another state can get AT&T or Google Fiber, Spectrum coax and I think Verizon. He pay $70 a month for gigabit up and down.

If we had a choice between internet and cable TV providers then we would only pay 1/2 or less
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cox uh huh uh huh huh huh
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    We pay 85$ for 500 unlimited this also includes cable tv. it's bundled together and at the time it was 5$ more a month to get tv so we said sure. It's still never really used. but in order to get that deal I had to sign up for tv.
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited August 2020
    Too much for too little 😢

pitdogg2 wrote: »
    WOW folks still use DSL? Who knew?
    unfortunately, it's all that's available in my neighborhood and it's also figured into my rent, an extra 78€ a month for this.4baxcdccvg2w.jpg

2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    With Comcast it is $162 a month, but that includes extended cable. I am very seriously thinking of going back to very basic cable.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    About 250 MBPS for $59/mo. If you have the right modem and router (meshed) you can easily stream 4K with no problem.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That’s a deal^
  • I'm happy that I have choice in my building in Washington, D.C. between Comcast, RCN and Verizon FiOS. I've had all three and right now I've got FiOS Triple Play with symmetrical Gigabit internet (same speeds up and down)
    Not sure what I'm paying for the internet because it's a bundled package.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Wait, what? You're s'posed to pay for Internet?
    I mean, I got out a pair of wirecutters and a stepladder, like most folks, y'know?

7go50sxbdywx.png
  • xschop
    edited August 2020
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I mean, I got out a pair of wirecutters and a stepladder, like most folks, y'know?

7go50sxbdywx.png

Final....last....words...."Hey, that's 3-phase"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    xschop wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

7go50sxbdywx.png

Final....last....words...."Hey, that's 3-phase"

Penultimate... last...words... "Hold my Jaipur Lager and watch this..."
  • Anyone here have Fiber?