Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    Options
    AlmaGarcia wrote: »
    Anyone here have Fiber?

I had Basic 4 for breakfast.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 366
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?
    I have Verizon Fios if that’s what you’re referring to
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?

Not an option here -- we had only DSL (and way too far from the switch) until 3 or 4 years ago, when Comcast ran a cable up our road (we're a little off the beaten path).

I like to say that ours is probably the only neighborhood in the US that was glad when Comcast came into the neighborhood. :)

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?
    I believe our AT&T service is fiber. It's insanely fast, but honestly it's overkill for our lives. We're pulling 300-400 mbps upload and download, so speed is never an issue. But we have had issues with our TV staying connected to the network since we've moved. Seems to slowly be sorting itself out, but who knows. I thought about getting a mesh system, but our AT&T router seems to reach everywhere just fine so a mesh system might actually slow things down a little.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    I've been with AT&T since the beginning, and just today got upgraded to 45Mbps. I think my new price will be about $75/mo. I asked if it was DSL, and the guy said it's a modified version of what we think of as old DSL. I had been at 24Mbps, which utilized two of the four copper wires. The other two were for a land line. With the upgrade to 45 today, he had to pin all four wires to internet, and the phone will now have to be plugged into the modem...if I decide to keep the phone.

I asked about fiber, and he said if you're getting 17Mbps or more with AT&T, there is fiber on your street. Of course it's those last feet from the street to the house where copper limits you. With fiber from street to house, you're good-to-go, but we don't have that in my neighborhood.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,650
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?

Just in the morning. Keeps me regular... o:)
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?

At my age, I am a big fan of fiber.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?
    I believe our AT&T service is fiber. It's insanely fast, but honestly it's overkill for our lives. We're pulling 300-400 mbps upload and download, so speed is never an issue. But we have had issues with our TV staying connected to the network since we've moved. Seems to slowly be sorting itself out, but who knows. I thought about getting a mesh system, but our AT&T router seems to reach everywhere just fine so a mesh system might actually slow things down a little.

I'm currently paying for 300 mbps, fiber just became available in my area. Thinking about getting it. Might even be cheaper than my current plan. (I live with a bunch of gamers who are always playing online or streaming) Hopefully your connection issue fixes itself soon.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    That kills internet speeds because of the upload traffic.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,133
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?

I'm currently paying for 300 mbps, fiber just became available in my area. Thinking about getting it. Might even be cheaper than my current plan. (I live with a bunch of gamers who are always playing online or streaming) Hopefully your connection issue fixes itself soon.
    Gamers are probably the main reason someone would really need fiber. If it's even cheaper, than all the more reason to go for it.

One other downside, they do install a fairly unsightly box inside on your wall. That thing sucks. We hide behind furniture, but it's annoying that it's installed directly on the wall with a fixed length cord coming out of it.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Oh, and by the way -- if anyone was wondering what pirates pay for their earrings...

buccaneer.

• jeremymarcinko
    Options
    I feel like my internet sucks.
    vaojc74ov959.png
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,464
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Is that your service subscription rate?

Why do you think it sucks? How's it perform? Might test good, but the user experience is the better indicator. Once you know what you're doing with your connection you can start to figure out whether your service level is adequate.
    j72wgezrjpq1.png
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited August 2020
    Options
    If you have your own router, you might try checking for a firmware update. I was talking to a friend a few weeks ago whose in-house connectivity was awful. Connection dropping all the time, and getting erratic and weirdly low speeds.

It was a TP-Link from the provider. Surprisingly, we had management access. We updated the firmware, and he immediately jumped to pulling down 300Mbps and 75Mbps up after that.

If it's a combo unit, consider buying a separate modem and router. If it's a combo unit from your provider, check into buying your own stuff. The stuff the provide around here sucks.
    I disabled signatures.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,048
    Options
    To say nothing of the fact that *most* providers are just renting you the equipment.
    Worth digging into the details of the bill.

You'll recoup the cost of buying you own in ~6-9 months.
  • jeremymarcinko
    Options
    msg wrote: »
    Is that your service subscription rate?

Why do you think it sucks? How's it perform? Might test good, but the user experience is the better indicator. Once you know what you're doing with your connection you can start to figure out whether your service level is adequate.
    j72wgezrjpq1.png

That’s the speed I’m paying for. But that up speed seems really slow. I am all telework right now and large file transfers to the shared drive via the vpn is painfully slow compared to when I was in the office.

Maybe I need to increase that upload speed.

Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    Anyone here have Fiber?

Gamers are probably the main reason someone would really need fiber. If it's even cheaper, than all the more reason to go for it.

One other downside, they do install a fairly unsightly box inside on your wall. That thing sucks. We hide behind furniture, but it's annoying that it's installed directly on the wall with a fixed length cord coming out of it.

My Fios box in is my garage.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • msg
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Yeah, that's the upstream piece.

And VPN can be another bottleneck, depending on organization size and whether all the infrastructure is on-prem and the number of users using VPN and how they're using it. If your company's VPN or data connection is saturated, increasing your internet service speed may not have much effect.

Do you all only have company laptops, or do you also have a desktop computer at the place of business? If so, remoting into that machine would work much better if possible.
    I disabled signatures.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited August 2020
    Options

Anybody else have or have had Cox Communications for cable, internet, phone? They are horrible! I canceled my cable with them and use a Fire Stick when I rarely watch TV other than local news. Their internet constantly has latency issues and they always try to blame it on the users modem/router. No so, when dozens of people in the neighborhood are experiencing the same issues with a variety of different modems. They've also had recent outages of their email, which they deny also. The only other viable option for broadband is CenturyLink. I just don't want to have to change email addresses with hundreds of clients. I should have switched email to gmail instead of Cox. I pay about $80.00/mo. for 100-150(?) speed. Which is fast enough for my needs.

Edit: Just ran this: Good/Bad?

569d85a3ms5e.jpg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Comcast is sending me a new modem, they said I'm supposed to get faster speeds...but this is what I have now

gu6k8yu3zuwn.png
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have Cox and rarely have problems. What area are you in?

CenturyLink was always horrible in my experience with them in northeast and central coastal North Carolina. Slow service, weak service offerings - DSL only.

Are you using Cox's equipment or your own?

Yeah, get off your ISP's email ASAP. Just bite the bullet and get a Gmail, Outlook or Yahoo account, and stop being held hostage just because of your email. Start the new account now and slowly transfer stuff, starting with the most important. Then check the old account periodically for stuff that's still coming through.

Your downstream isn't bad if it's a 150Mbps plan.

ARRIS modems and Netgear Routers have been a solid combination. No combo devices. You don't need the latest and greatest or fastest models unless your service plan requires it. That's usually 500Mbps+ and up to 1Gbps plans.
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    Anybody else have or have had Cox Communications for cable, internet, phone? They are horrible! I canceled my cable with them and use a Fire Stick when I rarely watch TV other than local news. Their internet constantly has latency issues and they always try to blame it on the users modem/router. No so, when dozens of people in the neighborhood are experiencing the same issues with a variety of different modems. They've also had recent outages of their email, which they deny also. The only other viable option for broadband is CenturyLink. I just don't want to have to change email addresses with hundreds of clients. I should have switched email to gmail instead of Cox. I pay about $80.00/mo. for 100-150(?) speed. Which is fast enough for my needs.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,072
    Options
    I'm pretty sure the main bottleneck is wifi for me and that it's on the other end of the house. Not sure what speed we actually pay for and what it would be if I used an ethernet cable.

npxb5lr8fptm.png
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,693
    Options
    I have Cox

LOL
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have Cox and rarely have problems. What area are you in?

CenturyLink was always horrible in my experience with them in northeast and central coastal North Carolina. Slow service, weak service offerings, and with few exceptions, horrible tech support and customer service. Just lacked knowledge, authority, and ability to get anything done properly. I had two good experiences with them, and one really good one - the last one when I called in to cancel because we were moving to Spectrum, who, hate to say, trounced poor CenturyLink.

Are you using Cox's equipment or your own?

Yeah, get off your ISP's email ASAP. Just bite the bullet and get a Gmail, Outlook or Yahoo account, and stop being held hostage just because of your email. Start the new account now and slowly transfer stuff, starting with the most important. Then check the old account periodically for stuff that's still coming through.

Your downstream isn't bad if it's a 150Mbps plan.

ARRIS modems and Netgear Routers have been a solid combination. No combo devices. You don't need the latest and greatest or fastest models unless your service plan requires it. That's usually 500Mbps+ and up to 1Gbps plans.
    aprazer402 wrote: »

In Omaha. I have an ARRIS surfboard SBG6700-AC modem at one house and a newer Cox modem with a Cox land line at another house, it needs their modem for the phone. At the other house two blocks away, with the Cox land line, I have to unplug and plug back in the Cisco? router, not modem, every morning to restore internet connection, it just loses it. It's simple enough to do, but why? On the cable side Cox just kept raising prices, now they are losing cable customers daily for many reasons.

Have Cox "Internet Preferred 150"
  • msg
    Options
    PM'd you with some questions.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,878
    Options
    Bell came around every neighborhood and pretty much installed fibe to anyone who wanted it. We had them install it but not using them. Just to future proof our house.