I need a new gas grill

Not too expensive, if it comes with a shrubbery that would be a plus. 5 burner not too big, like enough room to make a humongous burger, that's all.

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Many grill reviews at amazingribs.com. Try to ignore the persistent plea to join up (good luck with that).
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    Got this one at HomeDepot about a month ago NexGrill Deluxe 6-Burner Propane Grill with Stainless Steel Side Burner. I added the rotisserie and changed to stainless steel grates easier to clean. So far very happy.

qsi8c9xg2pk3.jpg

owbhp729c7f3.jpg

yw6knmw2xxee.jpg

Cheers
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I own a few different ones but I use this one the most. Well built and cooks evenly without burning what you are cooking.

tanz7yl0786y.jpg
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited August 2020
    I just purchased this year a Weber Spirt II, #E-310, 3 burner. Not to big cooking for one yet large enough for 15 burgers or several steaks. The best part, can be had for just a click over $500 or less.

The cast iron grates are fabulous for searing.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Consider an infrared grill. Here is a Solaire one at the BBQGuys.

It says portable but put it on a small stainless steel cart and it will make you happy. You will never have to wait more than 2-3 minutes for the grill to warm up to a HOT temp.

It is not a grill to smoke meats. It is ideal for hamburgers, steaks, pork chops, fish, etc. If you are cooking for 1-3 people most of the time it will work for you.

My friend has one. She and I have cooked 6-8 hamburgers at one time and as many as 5-6 NY steaks. It has a 14,000 BTU Infrared burner. There are other sizes on the website to review. (By the way, my friend's grill has been to a Jimmy Buffett concert at the Lakewood Amphitheater in Atlanta)

qd04st337j7d.png
    https://www.bbqguys.com/solaire/anywhere-304-grade-stainless-steel-portable-infrared-propane-gas-grill-sol-ir17b

Personally, I purchased a TEC Patio II infrared grill in 1998, and I still use it. TEC has always been the leader in infrared grills. TEC is a major restaurant grill provider. I would recommend a TEC, but nowadays the TEC grills are priced like Pass Labs stuff. I consider TEC and Solaire the best of the manufacturers.

Picture of my friend's grill on deck from kitchen. The second picture is a picture of the TEC Patio II grill.
    en92g1mx0jk8.jpg

90eebdjgv3za.png

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    I just purchased this year a Weber Spirt II, #E-310, 3 burner. Not to big cooking for one yet large enough for 15 burgers or several steaks. The best part, can be had for just a click over $500 or less.

The cast iron grates are fabulous for searing.

I also have a Weber spirit or genesis or something like that. 3 burner, nothing else. Agree about the cast iron grates, plus Weber’s are just much better built than most big box store crap brands. I’ve had mine for 11 years and haven’t had to replace anything yet, and it’s used on average 1-2 per week year round. Also it’s big enough to set up dual zone for smoking per Meathead’s instructions (love his cookbook!). In fact I’m about to smoke pork belly and baked potatoes for dinner...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    afterburnt wrote: »
    Not too expensive, if it comes with a shrubbery that would be a plus.
    Ni! I guess you need something to cook that sacrifice on.
    1vm6v55n0whl.jpeg
    I'll second what Harry said about infrared grills. I have a Charbroil TRU Infrared version. No direct heat, so no flare-ups, and thus the burners last longer since they don't rust-out as fast. One thing I like about mine is that I can pull one of the grates out, and drop in a cast iron bowl/dish for sauteeing stuff.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    Big fan of Weber gas grills. I've had a Spirit 310 for 9 years and just this year I had to replace the flavorizer bars. It sits outside all seasons (harsh Midwest Winters) covered. Stainless steel and enamel, looks like new still.

Get the cast iron grates, well worth it. When I bought mine only Home Depot included the cast iron grates at no extra charge at the time. So it pays to shop around because sometimes certain retailers give you something "extra". At the time the cast iron grates were an available accessory for like $60.

Weber's are well built and they support their models for like 30 years, meaning you can get parts. Many other grill manufacturer's discontinue parts after like 5-7 years. My Dad's Genesis is going on 16 years old and still grills like new.

Initially they are more expensive than competing brands, but the longevity and support makes it a no brainer. I will never buy anything but a Weber as long as tey carry on like they are.

H9

P.s I am not a heavy griller. Maybe 2-3 times a week in the Spring/Summer and early Fall. No Winter grilling especially after it snows.
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I have 3 burner Weber Genesis. Spent about $80 this spring to rehab it to like new condition. First time I've done anything to it. Not bad for a grill that's more than a decade old. You get what you pay for. Before the Weber, I'd been through more cheap grills than I can count. Most rotted out within 3 years. Usually grill at least twice a week.
  • CottageChz
    CottageChz Posts: 362
    edited August 2020
    I bought a used Weber Genesis 3 burner model that was manufactured between 2007-2011 for $150 three summers ago. The seller had taken good care of it and cleaned it up real nice for me, and it has been amazing for the last three years. I expect I will get many more years of use out of it, and Weber still sells all kinds of replacement parts for it.

Based on my experience, I would recommend Weber, even used ones, if you can find a model that suits your needs for the right price. Lots of times people sell nice used ones when they switch to natural gas or vice versa.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I have had excellent luck with CharBroil Grills. In 18 years I only had 2 of them and the first one I bought I gave to a guy at work and he still uses it today.

But I'm moving away from these style grills and going Traeger
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    +1 on Weber they are well built... a side burner is nice too... down here stainless is a must and keeps the best. Good value for the price and their support and parts availability is outstanding.

But you could spend alot more

8rx9nmmmpksx.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Go to Aldi during "grill selling season". They are super inexpensive, decent quality, and great about sending. replacement parts. We have gone through so many "nicer" grills and they all go to the large BBQ in the sky within the same length of time.
  • ADJ
    ADJ Posts: 46
    Another recommendation for Weber. I have had mine for about 15 years now. I few years ago I called them about a minor issue looking for advice. They sent me a new box and new burners no questions asked. They also sent me a new igniter even after they told me it was out of warranty. Basically, a brand new grill for free after 10 years, can't ask for much more than that.

I liked the cast iron grates but I love the grillgrates even more. https://www.grillgrate.com. Cleanup of the grates and grill box is much easier and the flat side is awesome for proper sear and crusting of steaks and burgers,
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    get 100% 304 stainless....
    More expensive, but worth it in the long run .....

I got tired of replacing grills and got an AOG several years ago ....
    I am , however a heavy grill user .....

Bk

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Does Weber make a 5 burner?
  • afterburnt
    Irrenhaus wrote: »
    Got this one at HomeDepot about a month ago NexGrill Deluxe 6-Burner Propane Grill with Stainless Steel Side Burner. I added the rotisserie and changed to stainless steel grates easier to clean. So far very happy.

qsi8c9xg2pk3.jpg

owbhp729c7f3.jpg

yw6knmw2xxee.jpg

Cheers

Does it have all stainless guts?
  • audioluvr

How many people are you cooking for?? I have a 4 burner and normally only use one or two unless I'm throwing a party.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • afterburnt
    audioluvr wrote: »

How many people are you cooking for?? I have a 4 burner and normally only use one or two unless I'm throwing a party.

I want more burners for more even cooking.
  • audioluvr
    You clearly need a Weber.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

Yea my 3 burner Weber can cook at lotta food! Now if you’re smoking with dual zones, different story, but still two racks of ribs....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471

I want more burners for more even cooking.

My 3 burner Weber has no hot spots. Heat is even and consistent. Once you use one, you'll realize other grills only have more burners because they put no thought into the engineering to get even heating without using all those burners.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I love my older weber genesis 1000. I got it obviously used for $100 and replaced the burners, grates and flavorizer bars. Thing is a freaking champ. Even cooking all the way around and hits 600+ in 5 minutes.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    A common error in grilling, using gas or charcoal, is too frequently opening the lid. It lets all the heat out and ruins the convection cooking process. Also on charcoals grills, like the Weber's I prefer, they need to be positioned correctly into the wind with proper orientation of the lid vent aft of the wind direction and keeping the lower vents opened as desired for the needed combustion air to control heat to some degree. For quick grilling (burgers, sausage, veggies) I do use a gas grill. But for grilling steaks and chops and smoking ribs, brisket, prime rib or turkey, I prefer charcoal.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,206
    edited August 2020
    Weber! Weber! I've got the three burner and it works great.
  • I know I'm late to the party here, but I recommend Weber - no hesitation. I've had mine for 20 years now. I've replaced the burners once. Mine originally came with porcelain grates and flavor bars. Those rusted out after 7 or so years. Replaced them with stainless steel and they have held strong. Thing is, they still make parts for my Genesis grill all these years later. The rest of the grill just keeps on chugging with no issues and looks almost new. Heats great and cooks food awesome.

If you can't afford a new one, find one used on Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. You can always get parts for them if need be and can sometimes find a used bargain out there.

I've always wanted to get a new one, but can't justify the cost when mine still works amazingly.

Good luck with the purchase - whatever you choose.
    Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • afterburnt
    Irrenhaus wrote: »

qsi8c9xg2pk3.jpg

owbhp729c7f3.jpg

yw6knmw2xxee.jpg

Cheers

Just got this one delivered today gonna try the stock grates before I shell out $70 something for stainless. If I can't get some non mechanically tenderized Prime beef from Costco I am just gonna make weenies on it or throw it away.
  • afterburnt
    I may just start hunting again to get my monies worth out of it.