Stangman’s new hybrid 2CH/HT setup

stangman67
stangman67 Posts: 2,179
edited July 2020 in 2 Channel Audio
Polkies,

Finally got back fro deployment and had a day to get the media room/bar/man cave mostly situated. I started with a LSIM front end (707s and a 706) and a marantz AV7705 and a B&K ref 200.7 as the HT base. There is also a 15” DIY Dayton 15” sub not pictured.

For the 2CH section I picked up a Modwright SWL9.0 anniversary edition tube pre with HT bypass. Also picked up a Cambridge 851N to work with my Rega Planar 6/Ania combo.

Cables are as follows: Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables, Audience Ohno interconnects throughout and Audience power chords on the pre and streamer.

The 2CH equipment rack is a semi diy allthread rack, had timber nation build the shelves and I sourced the allthread and nuts to make it work.

All in all it sounds fantastic in 2CH which was my main concern. I have some work to do on the HT side as I still need to pick up surrounds and wire all that up. Really enjoy spinning vinyl on this setup. The polks are surprisingly not outclassed by the other gear. They will hold me over until I pick up some ushers.

8x5t7ez15m4z.jpeg
scuu1eknwf6p.jpeg

2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius

Comments

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Looks awesome man! Not too shabby for your first married system 😂. Grad school did not allow me the, um, provisions to have anything near that nice! Rock on!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2020
    Welcome home Zach, looks great!
    Where'd you pick up the all-thread and hardware, and what did you use? I've been meaning to build one of these.
    I disabled signatures.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    Very nice looking setup!
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Can you tell us more about the rack? How did you measure the number of turns for each nut so that each shelf/section was level? Digital calipers?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Not sure how Zach did it, but I'd have used a spacer to get all 4 corners even.
  • Clipdat
  • DaveHo
    edited July 2020
    Block of wood. Place it at each of the 4 corners and adjust the nuts until each corner of the shelf above rests on the block. Caliper, even I'm not OCD enough to go that far.
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    A stick, or better yet, a four-sided box of the exact spacing desired between shelves. Level the bottom shelf and build up from there using the spacer (or jig, if you’re technical about such things).
  • DaveHo
    edited July 2020
    BTW, great looking system & rack, Zach. The black adonized hardware really makes it. Butcher blocks for the shelves?

Edit:. I see you bought the shelves. They look awesome!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited July 2020
    just couldn't do it
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    Knew someone would take it there. Glad to see I wasn't disappointed! ;)
  • haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,030
    Your system is awesome.
  • stangman67
    Thanks for all the compliments, I’ll answer in more detail later on. The shelves are super easy to level. I started with a ruler to get the nuts even on each post and then just set a spirit level on the shelf and adjust the nuts on each corner to get it perfectly level. In this house, this style of setup was necessary because it’s a 1920’s home where nothing is level. A standard audio stand without major leveling adjustment would have been very canted. Started on the bottom shelf and methodically moved up from there.

Timber nation sells a full kit like this but in walnut was 1600 or so. The shelves were 800 ish (2” thick solid walnut) and the allthread and nuts were about 150 from grainger

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • stangman67
    For specific sizes, the allthread is 7/8-9 stainless steel b7 black oxide all thread in 36” length and a bought a pack of 80 of the 7/8-9 “heavy” nuts. I will be building a matching stand for under the tv eventually

• Clipdat
    stangman67 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the compliments, I’ll answer in more detail later on. The shelves are super easy to level. I started with a ruler to get the nuts even on each post and then just set a spirit level on the shelf and adjust the nuts on each corner to get it perfectly level. In this house, this style of setup was necessary because it’s a 1920’s home where nothing is level. A standard audio stand without major leveling adjustment would have been very canted. Started on the bottom shelf and methodically moved up from there.

Timber nation sells a full kit like this but in walnut was 1600 or so. The shelves were 800 ish (2” thick solid walnut) and the allthread and nuts were about 150 from grainger

Nice job on the rack and thanks for the detailed response.
  • DaveHo
    You're lucky I don't live close by. Just got done mowing. So damn hot I'd polish off that keg. :p
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Sweet diggin' it, glad you're home
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Looks great Zach. Come a long way from the Klipsch actives.
  • stangman67
    I have indeed. But still not back to the setup previous to that but inching my way closer and closer. Some different speakers and I’d be back to the focal/b&k/backert combo

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    Looks awesome Zach, Congrats on the new setup
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I have no doubts you’ll be back there in no time... :p
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Also because this matters, tapped my inaugural keg in the Feenstra Tap House tonight. Precarious beer project “purple clouds” hazy pale ale. It’s light and pretty tasty

Excellent. Now you have a great stereo, HT, and home. Enjoy. :)

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,908
    Looks great, congrats!
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    Great system,great room! Enjoy! (Like you need to be told to enjoy)
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • stangman67
    edited July 2020
    Thanks verybody! And before everyone judges me too much, I know I need to fix the rats nest behind the equipment stand. I have some options coming for that soon

• stangman67
    Had my first snafu. Looks like the refurbished 851n I bought from Cambridge has issues. Has bad static, drowns out the music bad, I thought it was going to hurt my speakers. I contacted Cambridge and all they said they could do was repair it or offer me a return. I chose a return as I don’t want an issue plagued unit, so I just bought a new one. Still think the Cambridge is the beat at the price point, a little annoyed they couldn’t offer a replacement unit though

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Had my first snafu. Looks like the refurbished 851n I bought from Cambridge has issues. Has bad static, drowns out the music bad, I thought it was going to hurt my speakers. I contacted Cambridge and all they said they could do was repair it or offer me a return. I chose a return as I don’t want an issue plagued unit, so I just bought a new one. Still think the Cambridge is the beat at the price point, a little annoyed they couldn’t offer a replacement unit though

That sucks man, but their customer service is top notch. I have bought five refurb items in the last year and two were bad, one right when I got it and the other within a couple days. The other three have been perfect. But they offer easy returns with free shipping both ways and they even extend it a little past the 30 days if there is a problem. I do wish there were no problems, but since I know returns are easy it doesn’t really concern me fwiw...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Love my 851N! Great value DAC/streamer
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus