SRS with Dayton drivers

Any thoughts on this? Seller says he bought the speakers new and replaced to original drivers with the Dayton 4 ohms and that they sound good.

What do you guys think?e1hr5io6ntjo.png
Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.

Comments

• michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    They are 1.2 TL's because they have SL 3000 tweeters and a couple of RD0 198's. Criminal what they did to them.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    I'm betting he's not the original owner. Hoping he's not anyway. If he bought these NEW, he probably paid close to $3,000.00 for them. These were an audiophile purchase. If so, being an audiophile, he should have enough sense to know what he had and not to $%^& 'em up. I agree with Nightfall wait for another pair.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    What a disaster.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    He might have the originals as spares :/
  • ratpin
    ratpin Posts: 85
    ptrooper wrote: »
    He might have the originals as spares :/
    He says he has them

uccd598ynqbl.jpeg

Polk: / SDA-CRS / SDA-1C / M-10B / M-7B / M-5 / M-5jr / RTA-11T / LSIM703 / LSIM704 / LSIM706 / RTI8 / CSI3 / CSI5 / RTI4 / RTI-A5 / CSI-A6 / RC80i / RC85i / RC6s / PSW300 / Atrium6 / Atrium4 / About a dozen pair of Atrium45 lol.
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Run, don't walk away.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    They probably don't sound very good that's why he is selling them.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    Yeah
    What he 👆🏽👆🏽said!!
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,135
    I'm curious (only a little) what the price is, but this definitely gave me a headache.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    ratpin wrote: »
    ...they sound good.

What do you guys think?

I think the seller is lying through his teeth. Unless he is letting them go for a hundred or two, run away, fast!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    edited July 2020
    Just going to throw this out.

IF they're truly 1.2tl then they used 4 each of mw6503 and mw6511. Now those drivers had different parameters so if they are all the same 4ohm drivers with the same parameters then right off they're wrong.

MW 6503 1.82 5.24 N 3.55 E - 3N/M 6.54 Ohms 29 Hertz

MW 6511 1.405 4.34 N 3.496 E - 3N/M 3.13 Ohms 29 Hertz

Run away do not look back.
  • ratpin
    I mainly found these looking for an Adcom GFA-555. Hes selling the speakers together with amp and tuner (both adcom 555) for $1500.
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    Wondering how he ran these with mono amps.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    monepolk wrote: »

Without the interconnect?
    Those would make a great PA system.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • michaeljhsda2
    michaeljhsda2 Posts: 2,164
    And because he didn't use an AI-1 transformer, he ruined the Adcom's! Wow, unbelievable.
    SDA SRS 1.2TL's
    SDA 1C's w/Clarity Cap ESA; PA, Mills, RD0194-1's
    SDA 2B TL's w/RD0198-1's
    Yaqin MC-30L integrated tube amp
    Yaqin MS-20L integrated tube amp
  • F1nut
    monepolk wrote: »

With disastrous results.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ratpin
    And because he didn't use an AI-1 transformer, he ruined the Adcom's! Wow, unbelievable.

Could you please elaborate on that?
  • F1nut
    You cannot use mono blocks, dual mono or non-common ground amplifiers with SDA speakers without using an isolation transformer on the SDA cable. Damage to the speakers or amp(s) or both will occur otherwise.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I'd be leary of the crossovers with this new info.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    You might be able to strap the negative binding posts together with those amps, but looking at what he's done to them I think not.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Some Adcom amps had a bad problem with caps leaking and ruining the boards. If that happened it may never of been a speaker problem.
    If he ran them with no cable there should never have been a problem. Only when the standard cable is used is when problems arise.

I believe it may of been early gfa 565 monos that were problematic.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    My guess is that relay-less Adcom sent dc to the original drivers and that's why the junk replacements. Burnt voice coils on the originals, possible crossover issues now and a fire hazard Adcom amp. I see a pile of parts for way too much money.