Roofing advice?

Options
We had some pretty nasty hail Saturday and last night. My roof is 17 years old and I noticed some of the granules are wearing off the shingles. I noticed a leak on the ceiling next to the wall last night. I inspected it and can't see where any hail damaged it. It's a single layer with a ridge vent and has good ventalation through the soffit.

It's always had full exposure with no trees hovering over it. I think the brand is Tampco if anyone is familiar with it?! Is 17 years about the average lifespan for shingles? I'm hoping State Farm will cover it and not sure if they prorate coverage due to age.

Comments

• charley96
    charley96 Posts: 306
    Options
    I'm also wondering if a 2nd layer can be put over the existing shingles? I know that layering is not a good idea but I'm moving in 5 years. My neighbor just got a steel roof and the roofer went over the existing asphalt shingles. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2020
    Options
    If your shingles are 3 tab 20 years is pretty much all your going to get. This hail just finished yours off. Installing shingles over an existing roof is not recommended. In fact some states states won’t allow it, check your local codes. Tampco shingles are economy builder grade shingles used to keep costs down. I certainly wouldn’t use these again unless I was moving.

I just had my 2000 sf ranch with a hip roof done in Landmark architectural shingle, complete tear off old shingles and it was $9500.00.

Good luck with the insurance.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    When we had our roof done about 14 years ago, I was advised to just strip off the first layer down to the sheathing, even though it's OK to do 2 layers. He explained that it's beneficial for 2 reasons- one, you get to inspect/replace any plywood if it needs it, and two, it's saving a lot of weight off the house especially for us in the NE (snow load).
    But now if you're moving in 5 years, I don't know that I would care that much about whether it's one or two roofing layers, other than it is something you can point to when it's time to sell. I would get at least 5 estimates for the job; we got 8, and they varied quite a bit from one company to the next. At the end of the day we went with someone who was a little more expensive but was recommended by a friend.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • charley96
    Options
    Tamko says it's a 30 year shingle which I'm sure the warranty is not worth the paper it's written on. I know they obviously wouldn't warranty hail damage but the granules wearing off seems premature. I can't even find the damage on the roof where the water intrusion is coming in. It's probably going to be a long wait just to get someone out here to look at it. We got 6.5 inches of rain here yesterday and floods everywhere.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,372
    Options
    Sounds like it's time for new shingles. I agree on stripping the roof down to the plywood and replacing any damaged sections if any. The insurance company will most likely cover it because of the hail, but premiums may go up.

A steel roof (standing seam metal) is different construction than shingles and can go over an old shingle roof. Those can last for 40 or 50 years or more if done right and maintained. Traditional shingles have to be nailed in individually and securely and an old roof layer underneath will cause shingles to fail prematurely when the nails pop out. If a potential buyer has an inspector who sees a two layer roof and signs of previous water damage in the house a buyer may ask for money towards a new roof or decide not to buy the house. Stripping off two layers of roofing in the future and then fixing unseen damage underneath is more expensive than doing the job the right way in the first place.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    We had ours done last year.

My suggestion is to pick the roofing company you want to use first and let them do the heavy lifting as it relates to your insurance company.
    They are able to pinpoint hail damage and when it occurred. This makes the claim run through much faster.
    Get an architectural shingle if you can, ridge vent if you can (I guess depending on how hot it gets in summer) and make sure they include drip edge (eaves) and flashing (chimney) if needed.
    Good luck.
  • charley96
    Options
    The existing roof already has the drip edge and the ridge vent at the peak. It's a standard ranch house with a hip roof. Hoping I can get someone out today to look at it. Hopefully State Farm will take care of this for me even though my homeowners always increases every year for never making a claim. If they don't I'd imagine I'm looking at 7-8g's for a new one. Anyone know if the metal roofs are more expensive?
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    Options
    We had a similar situation. Going through insurance will raise your premium and the coverage will be prorated to the percentage of the roof affected and age. It may not be worth it on a 17 year old roof......

Layering or stacking shingles is definitely not advised
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Emlyn
    edited July 2020
    Options
    You should shop around for pricing on a metal roof as experience in properly installing those varies widely. A roofing company's normal summer time roofing crews would not be able to do it without training so labor costs are higher too. I had an estimate done for part of my roof with an experienced company and the cost at the time was 3-4 times the cost of 30 year architectural shingles. Those sections being in metal would have been for appearance rather than function, so I just stuck with good old asphalt shingles knowing I'll not be in this house for the long haul anyway.
  • charley96
    Options
    My friend had his replaced last year from hail damage with State Farm on his 15 yr. old roof. They payed for replacement in full with no prorating.
  • Emlyn
    Options
    It's always been my experience that roofing and siding damage is covered by insurance after paying the deductible if it is the result of hail and the claims adjuster makes that determination. General wear and tear through age or leaks from a nail pop or bad installation is not covered at all. A manufacturer's warranty on shingles is always prorated, which makes it not mean much at all.
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,558
    Options
    Most insurer's in Texas put huge deductibles on roofs.A 20 year roof was good for about 5 years. 30 year roofs fared a bit better.
    Here in Tennessee it's better. Not all those golf ball sized storms
    Finding a good roofer is tough. about half of them are useless. A lot more are
    slightly better. I remember after getting my roof done in Dallas the second time,
    several guys came around offering to inspect it. Every one of them told me I needed a new roof. NEVER believe a guy tooling through the neighborhood randomly.
    Call known guys with a record, and call more than one.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Check local codes. Here in Rochester,NY, you can have 2 layers of shingles. I have a friend that does odds and ends. He has seen 4 layers. ( not recommended!)
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,279
    Options
    Tamko shingles aren't really economy shingles, all the dimensional shingles carry a lifetime warranty nowadays, it only covers manufacturing defects not normal wear. Is there anything protruding through the roof in the problem area, or a wall where siding meets the roof? Most shingles won't leak right away in an open area of the roof even if they are in bad shape. I think you should get more than 17 years out of even a 3 tab shingle, if it's properly vented and it doesn't have trees all around it. I have roofs I've done that are over 30 years old that still don't leak. Insurance should cover hail damage, I've replaced hail damaged roofs in the past and insurance paid the bill.
  • invalid
    Options
    They make hail resistant shingles also, they cost more than the typical shingle.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,582
    edited July 2020
    Options
    charley96 wrote: »
    My neighbor just got a steel roof and the roofer went over the existing asphalt shingles. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.

No it is not. They say you can if you put down thin folded styro insulation first over the existing roof. My experience with hidden fastener metal roofing over fan fold insulation is that you will see shadow lines or the old roofing under the metal in a few years.
    I roofed my old house in all metal a few years back. It has 100yr warranty on rust and 50yr warranty on the paint. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat and only over a roof with complete tear off and 30# or heavier felt down first. I bought mine through Menards.

All but a small section over my kitchen was a complete tear off and heavy felt down first.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,438
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Steel roofing is an investment that will increase the value of the structure and makes it much more marketable.
    Post edited by audioluvr on
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    Options
    Standing seam, baby.
    The only drawback(s).
    1) When it rains -- you know it.
    2) It is interesting when wet, heavy snow slides off.

B)

14964451085_06ba480f1b_b.jpgDSC_9825 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Yep, nothing like rain on a tin roof to put you to sleep. I found it comforting, least it worked for me when I was a wee boy.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • charley96
    Options
    As much as I'd like to have a steel roof, I'm outta this hellhole state in 5 years. If I were going to die here I'd do it. Only got a hold of one roofer today, they're all booked up due to the 2 hail storms we've had here. Property values are tanking in my hood so I'm not going the expensive route. The house will sell itself due to all the remodeling I've done to it. It will sell based on the comps so I'm not going to get top $$ anyway. Who knows what the housing market will be in 5 years anyway. Business is dying left and right here in Peoria.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,097
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Standing seam, baby.
    The only drawback(s).

B)

Is the main music room you always show us, above the garage or on the third floor of the dwelling?
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I'm also wondering if a 2nd layer can be put over the existing shingles? I know that layering is not a good idea but I'm moving in 5 years. My neighbor just got a steel roof and the roofer went over the existing asphalt shingles. I'm not sure if that was a good idea or not.
    2nd layer can be risky if you're planning to sell. It will come up on the home inspection, and the buyers might insist on funds for a "properly" installed roof. I know if when we were looking if that came up, we would have pushed for it.

But here you kind of need to know at least the roof basics if you're a home owner. It seems no matter what type of roofing you get, you'll be lucky to get 10 years out of it with all the hail. And when it comes to insurance, the roofers bank on it. They will tell you exactly what to tell your insurance company to help get coverage. Like @sucks2beme said earlier, I've never had a roof "inspected" without the suggestion being a full roof replacement. And your insurance company may or may not agree with that assessment.

Also, right after a storm, watch out for popup companies. Sometimes there are loads of new companies that just appear out of thin air claiming to be roofing experts. Sometimes they are experienced guys who finally made their own company. But often it's guys with a hammer, and knowledge of where to order materials looking for that easy insurance check. Make sure you go with someone that has a good track record and recommendations.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I've replaced 2 roofs in the last 10-12 years due to hail in North Texas.

There is some good advice given here. If it's like it was in the DFW area, get ready for a lot of phone calls by roofers. We must have gotten over 60 calls or more. We also had numerous ones coming up to our front door. One of the first questions to ask is are they local as you will get some that are out of state and you're out of luck if you have a problem. There are some roofers that follow the hail storms.

I checked out the ones I have used with friends and online reviews. If they hadn't been in business for at least 5 years I didn't consider them. There is way too many fly by night roofers around that rip people off.

I always have them take off the existing shingles and have them use nails instead of staples. I've seen houses in the neighbor where they used staples have the shingles come loose on parts of the roof in high winds and I didn't have any issues.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • charley96
    Options
    I never do business with anyone that approaches me. I know a few contractors around here that are just too busy right now. I'll just have to wait it out till things slow down.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    aprazer402 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Standing seam, baby.
    The only drawback(s).

B)

Is the main music room you always show us, above the garage or on the third floor of the dwelling?

... above the garage. Attic has those little windows, but "just for looks". It is a nice attic, though. Ironically, there's less clutter in the attic than in the basement or my junk room! :| Mrs. H was pretty adamant that she didn't want the attic full of junk -- so the basement is, instead. B)

Sorry for the digression from the thread!
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I never do business with anyone that approaches me. I know a few contractors around here that are just too busy right now. I'll just have to wait it out till things slow down.

This is definitely some solid advice. Good contractors will usually be busy. They don’t have to go door to door like a vacuum salesman.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • charley96
    Options
    The old movie "The Traveler's" with Bill Paxton is good reason to never give $$ to a door knocker.
  • invalid
    Options
    Milito wrote: »
    I've replaced 2 roofs in the last 10-12 years due to hail in North Texas.

There is some good advice given here. If it's like it was in the DFW area, get ready for a lot of phone calls by roofers. We must have gotten over 60 calls or more. We also had numerous ones coming up to our front door. One of the first questions to ask is are they local as you will get some that are out of state and you're out of luck if you have a problem. There are some roofers that follow the hail storms.

I checked out the ones I have used with friends and online reviews. If they hadn't been in business for at least 5 years I didn't consider them. There is way too many fly by night roofers around that rip people off.

I always have them take off the existing shingles and have them use nails instead of staples. I've seen houses in the neighbor where they used staples have the shingles come loose on parts of the roof in high winds and I didn't have any issues.

Removing the old shingles and using nails instead of staples is solid advice. When we tear off the old shingles it's always way easier to remove shingles that have been stapled instead of nailed. Removing the old shingles is far better than roofing over them for a few different reasons. When you remove the old shingles you can inspect the decking for spongy spots that you might not otherwise know about, also you have a smooth surface to install the new shingles over. Most shingles are metric these days and the old 3 tab shingles were English size, so you can't nest the new shingles over the old ones properly for a smooth looking roof which also causes premature wear.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    The old movie "The Traveler's" with Bill Paxton is good reason to never give $$ to a door knocker.

Kinda depends on how big the knockers are
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • mhardy6647
    edited July 2020
    Options
    The weight of two sets of shingle roofs on a house is a potential "issue", too. Them suckas (shingles, that is) are heavy.

I believe most bldg. codes allow two layers of roofing (i.e., one re-roof over an existing roof) -- or at least they used to. Of course, we're allowed to buy FIAT-Chrysler products, too. Doesn't a priori mean either one's a good idea. B)