Monitor 70 power handling

pyro5ive
pyro5ive Posts: 12
Hello. I have an emotiva 275 watts RMS per channel (@ 8 ohm load) amp. I put my oscope on the output on my amp and played 1 khz tone. I've witnessed that this amp starts to clip at about 55v (378watts correct?) but I noticed it has a limiter that kicks in and keeps the voltage below 55v if I continue to turn up the volume knob. so I know im working with a clean unclipped signal.

Ok so my question is how well will the Monitor 70 series II handle the power? I know a lot will say "listen for the symptoms of an over driven speaker" . Im not good at that. I might crank up the volume and walk away. my wife may do the same and she is def not going listen for signs. I would rather more of a black and white answer or at least a good reference.

So someone please clarify the *continuous * *many hours in a jam session* power handling capabilities. I see the vague specs the Monitor 70 says 20-275 watts. Does that mean I can
keep my power levels to 275 watts and not worry about cooking the speakers ? Or does it mean I might only get away with a few mins of 275watts of power and then burn out ? or should I choose another speaker if Im looking for that kind of power ?

Thanks. Steve

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    When the speaker starts clipping and/or distorting then it has reached its limit with the amp. Generally, the more power the amp has the louder the speakers can play before distorting. However, at some point all speakers reach their limit.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • pyro5ive
    BlueFox wrote: »
    When the speaker starts clipping and/or distorting then it has reached its limit with the amp. Generally, the more power the amp has the louder the speakers can play before distorting. However, at some point all speakers reach their limit.

I understand that. What I am asking is what is the safe continuous limit ?
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    This depends on the source level, preamp, and the music being played but in general I never go above noon on the volume dial. Really even 11 o'clock.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Honestly, having owned the Monitor 70s and powering them with bridged Adcom GFA-555s (rated 600 watts into 8 ohms bridged), I can tell you that the speakers will give up the ghost long before you reach a sustained power output near "max" of your amplifier.

Bear in mind that we are speaking about a very budget oriented speaker that has components in the crossover and drivers to meet a specific price point. At the given price point, you are going to see compromises in those given components.
    And that becomes evident as the speaker cones begin to break-up as you get closer to maximum power handling. Add extended listening time and you begin to reach the thermal limits of those components and they will begin to fail.

There is a LOT more to it than how much power they can handle. Those power handling ratings are typically short term maximum "bursts" of power and any extended time at those levels *will* destroy your speakers. Over excursion is a thing.

Now that being said, what exactly are you looking to do?
    Long term loud listening sessions with music? In general, that will be an easier load on the speakers (considering musical choices as dubstep or EDM is going to have considerably more dynamic transients than say a Grateful Dead album). But again, too long, too loud = thermal damage.

Movies in a home theater setting? Much more dynamic with more of those high output bursts when you are talking action movies. Dynamic content will reach those thermal thresholds much more rapidly. This is a big reason the majority of home theaters and virtually all professional cinemas use very high power handling/dynamic/efficient speakers. Not because they will see that much more power but because they tend to be able to handle the thermal loads for longer periods of time.
    You never see soft domes being used for concert venues, right?

Anyways, knowing what your intentions are will help us better to guide you in the right direction. It might be, you just don't have the right speaker for your intended purposes.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    "But again, too long, too loud = hearing damage." That too
  • pyro5ive
    So is there "a close to a black and white" answer as to what constant power handling will start to melt the coil over a period of several hours ? I can already smell my monitor 30s burning.
  • Nightfall
    Even if someone gave you an exact specification how would that help?

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Does that mean I can
    keep my power levels to 275 watts and not worry about cooking the speakers ?

For starters you'll never keep your amp pumping out a continuous 275 wpc or any continuous wattage amount because music is dynamic. Most of the time, even at loud levels, an amp is loafing along at a very low wpc except when there are transients and/or heavy bass tracks, but still the amp output is not continuous.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I put my oscope on the output on my amp and played 1 khz tone.

Unless you plan on listening to a 1kHz test tone your finding/conclusion is absolutely worthless.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pyro5ive
    Nightfall wrote: »

I could measure the output and turn it below
  • pyro5ive
    edited July 2020
    F1nut wrote: »
    Does that mean I can
    keep my power levels to 275 watts and not worry about cooking the speakers ?

For starters you'll never keep your amp pumping out a continuous 275 wpc or any continuous wattage amount because music is dynamic. Most of the time, even at loud levels, an amp is loafing along at a very low wpc except when there are transients and/or heavy bass tracks, but still the amp output is not continuous.

yes I understand music is dynamic but there still can still be reference. audio signal still have a floor, a ceiling, and an average of voltage

edit: that's why use the term RMS … aka the average
  • F1nut
    pyro5ive wrote: »

There is no exact specification because music is dynamic. Read that until it sinks in.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Just consider 11 o'clock on the volume dial to be max and you should be good, assuming flat tone controls. 👍

• pyro5ive
    Just consider 11 o'clock on the volume dial to be max and you should be good, assuming flat tone controls. 👍

that doesn't mean anything. there are all kind of variables between volume knobs.
  • pyro5ive

There is no exact specification because music is dynamic. Read that until it sinks in.

Yes there is... its called RMS.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Did you order the powered QSC speakers yet?
  • Nightfall

that doesn't mean anything. there are all kind of variables between volume knobs.

It's a general safe ballpark that doesn't involve wasting your time figuring out how to run your entry level speakers at the exact bleeding edge of being cooked.

• F1nut

Yes there is... its called RMS.

LOL.....suuuuuuure

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    edited July 2020
    Honey, it's simple. I understand you aren't going to listen for the soundstage to collapse so all you need to do instead is measure the output of the amp with this here oscilloscope and do a little math. It's the price we have to pay to listen as loud as possible without frying voice coils.

Your wife is going to be stoked.

• ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I feel like my post above was skipped...was it too wordy?
    I will summarize...

Heat is bad.
    Continuous heat is worse.
    The more power you provide, the more thermal load needs to be dissipated. And with the budget oriented components in your speakers, that thermal threshold is much lower.
    I can already smell my monitor 30s burning.
    You have already stated that you have gone beyond the point of safety to the point of thermal failure. You have already caused damage.

If you aren't capable of listening at normal or moderate levels, the only valid advice will be, buy speakers meant to do what you want to do. The Monitor 70s are not those speakers.

(What I am assuming based on your responses is that your goal is a constant loud output. Buy speakers that are designed for that...PA speakers...pro amps...etc.)
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • Nightfall
    I couldn't find a picture anywhere but I remember Beavis had his own pro speakers. They were redbadged Peavey's named Beavey.

• pyro5ive
    Honey, it's simple. I understand you aren't going to listen for the soundstage to collapse so all you need to do instead is measure the output of the amp with this here oscilloscope and do a little math. It's the price we have to pay to listen as loud as possible without frying voice coils.

Your wife is going to be stoked.

I did measure it. 2 dmms, 2 ch scope with worn out pots, lol totally not a problem.
    I don't want to buy the speakers and find out they barley can handle 100 watts. I bought a 275 watt amp, so I want to make use of the damn thing.. not have to worry about "goin' past 11 oclock on the knob"

its like buying a sports car and never getting passed 35 mph.

Sincerely,
    Honey
    :)
  • Nightfall
    Even when I had 1.2s hooked up to a 350 watt amp I didn't go above 11-12 o'clock.

Maybe consider getting some ultra efficient big floor standing Klipschs. My uncle had a pair with a passive radiator on the back of the cab growing up, don't recall model, that would melt your ear drums on a 100 watt amp.

• F1nut
    "What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach."

President of Club Polk

• pyro5ive
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    I feel like my post above was skipped...was it too wordy?
    I will summarize...
    "Heat is bad."

Yep, I agree and I understand.
    "Continuous heat is worse."

"The more power you provide, the more thermal load needs to be dissipated. And with the budget oriented components in your speakers, that thermal threshold is much lower."

"You have already stated that you have gone beyond the point of safety to the point of thermal failure. You have already caused damage."

Yes. That is correct. On the Monitor 30s I was using. Nothing to do with Monitor 70s
    "If you aren't capable of listening at normal or moderate levels, the only valid advice will be, buy speakers meant to do what you want to do. The Monitor 70s are not those speakers."

Are you sure ? Because Polk says yes, 275watts RMS no problem.
    (What I am assuming based on your responses is that your goal is a constant loud output. Buy speakers that are designed for that...PA speakers...pro amps...etc.)

Which model and brand would you suggest ? Beavey ?
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Why bother to ask a question if you are going to ignore the advice? Just go blow up your speakers and be done with it already.
  • pyro5ive
    Ok guys, I really appreciate your help. I am now understand that home theater speakers are different than PA speakers. I thought I would have a cross between the two kinds. I do also want to use them for home theater. I do want them to sound nice. I watch a ton of movies. I also want them to look nice. and I also want to be able to rock out with my c0@k out like beavis and butthead.

In conclusion I will buy Monitor 70s and back off when they get to hot.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I couldn't find a picture anywhere but I remember Beavis had his own pro speakers. They were redbadged Peavey's named Beavey.

To be fair, Peavey makes very good speakers for live sound and DJ use, speaking from fist-hand experience.
  • pyro5ive
    edited July 2020
    I put my oscope on the output on my amp and played 1 khz tone.

Unless you plan on listening to a 1kHz test tone your finding/conclusion is absolutely worthless.

why not ? To me, It would be at least a starting reference. and isn't that same exact process used to set gains ?