stupid driving habits

So the metro Memphis area is well known for poor driving.
Anyone I've talked to who has lived elsewhere agrees.
Two really bad ideas I've seen lately.
Turn on your emergency blinkers and drive like you stole it.
I've seen guys on the highway driving 90 doing this. Also seen them
doing it on back roads. They blow through stop signs and red lights.

Second one is there is very busy 6 lane roadway across midtown going downtown.
Parts don't have a turn lane. So they pull over into the left lane of oncoming traffic
to make a left turn during the lunch hour. This forces at least one lane of opposing traffic
to come to a complete stop.

There's no safety inspections here either. Lots of people driving without working headlights, taillights, and turn signals (not that they use them). God only knows how bad tires and brakes are. I'm pretty sure the lady driving the beater that totaled the Mustang had SH#t
brakes. At least she had insurance.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I haven't experienced the blinker thing (yet), except during inclement weather and then it's used to let people know you're going under the speed limit (or, at the speed limit, since no one really heeds those silly 55 signs anyway).

We usually have left turn lanes for people to use. The situation as you describe it would seriously piss me off. What gets me super annoyed here is people will bypass traffic in the regular lane as if they're going to turn left, then once there's room or the light goes green, they dart back into traffic.

We have had inspections here in NY for as long as I've been driving (40+), and while it's a PITA sometimes, I guess it does serve a purpose besides generating revenue for Albany; for $37 you can get your car checked out top to bottom, including a scan of the computer. Though to be honest, I know a couple of guys who can get a fresh window sticker, no questions asked, for $100. It's just the way it is.

Hey, don't feel too bad, at least you get Memphis In May...
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    The left turn lane here IS a passing lane in some areas.
    And a left turn from any lane at a red light is just ducky.
    A right turn from the left turn lane at a red light also seems to be ok.
    I used to live in upstate NY.I would go to a little place in Webster NY
    to get my winter beaters inspected. As long as the lights and horn worked,
    you passed. Normally the issue around there was rusted emergency brake cables.
    No rust here, just stupid.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    You don't need to tell me how bad Memphis drivers are. I lost my first car to a 14 year old girl driving her drunk mother home from a bar when I was stationed at Millington...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    Stupid driving also occurs on 2 wheels

Beaides a pleasnt message this woman has a mesmerizing, pleasant voice.

https://9gag.com/gag/aeDDVKp

Sal Palooza
  • sucks2beme
    Drove in behind a Genesis today.
    The guy was all over the road. He was straddling lanes
    as well. Plainly the spiffy phone interface on the console
    is far more fun than driving. He almost rear ended a slow
    moving landscapers truck. He didn't see it until he was almost
    on the bumper and had to swerve. It's not like the guy braked hard.
    He just was driving a little slow. So the Genesis guy clearly didn't
    look at the road for a full minute.
    I was kinda hoping he would would hit a light pole.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I live in NJ.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    WOW :o ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    what pisses me the most is someone cutting in front and halfway into the lane they decide to turn the signal lights on :s
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    These people, who derive no pleasure from the act of driving, deserve the autonomous cars that will, before too long, be forced upon all of us.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197
    I, for one, welcome our coming automotive Overlords and rejoice in their oversight into how and eventually when and where to drive. They will know what's best for us !
    Sal Palooza
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Yes, of course they do. Moo.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I could be way off base just to preface. Too many in vehicle distractions and Nanny's has diminished the skill of driving and paying attention along with the go go go of society. Don't worry about staying in your lane, here's lane assist. Don't worry about using your mirrors or looking over your shoulder, the car will beep at you if you start to change lanes into or back into someone. Don't worry about looking behind you, here's a backup camera. Don't worry about threshold braking or throttle control, here's ABS, TCS, and ESC. Here's a giant screen in the middle of your dash, enjoy! You can check and reply to texts, it's probably super important and it will never happen to you, just glance up once in a while.

Well said.
    Now try and raise teenagers who are getting ready to drive and convince them of that. Ugh
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Just make their first car a Chrysler K car Joe....
  • sucks2beme
    The Mustang was a driver's car. None of that nonsense.
    The side mirrors had a built in spot mirror that covered the blind spot.
    That's a cheap but effective tool every car should have.
    But the green party wants all cars off the road.
    Every day would look like covid crisis time.
    Can you say "public transportation"?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    I could be way off base just to preface. Too many in vehicle distractions and Nanny's has diminished the skill of driving and paying attention along with the go go go of society. Don't worry about staying in your lane, here's lane assist. Don't worry about using your mirrors or looking over your shoulder, the car will beep at you if you start to change lanes into or back into someone. Don't worry about looking behind you, here's a backup camera. Don't worry about threshold braking or throttle control, here's ABS, TCS, and ESC. Here's a giant screen in the middle of your dash, enjoy! You can check and reply to texts, it's probably super important and it will never happen to you, just glance up once in a while.

Well said.
    Now try and raise teenagers who are getting ready to drive and convince them of that. Ugh

I watched a fairly significant amount of Top Gear with my dad, and that has seemed to work. :)

A few months ago Some friends and I were driving down a four lane road, in the right lane. A mid nineties S-Class who was doing about 55 was catching up to us very quickly and had been driving weird for quite sometime was in the next lane over. We came up to a red light and I stopped. Guy was still a long ways back. No visible braking. When he was what looked to be 200-300 feet away in my mirror, I honked like crazy, and he slammed on the brakes, and still ended up about half-way into the very busy intersection. She looked quite shaken, and I watched her toss her phone into the backseat.

Freaking terrifying.
  • sucks2beme
    Stuff like that is so careless.
    I guess she was lucky you were a responsible human being.
    I'm not sure What I'd do. Some part of me would hope for an 18 wheeler
    to fix stupid.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Haha, dude, you need a vacation.
    I disabled signatures.
  • sucks2beme
    We all need a vacation