SDA-2B Upgrade story

Short Version: With no audio equipment or electronic experience, I managed a pretty ambitious system/speaker restore/upgrade around SDA-2B speakers. I accomplished this exclusively through what I learned from this forum, in particular, by direct help from Westmassguy and indirectly from F1Nut’s through extensive guidance to others in this forum.

Long Version: I bought my SDA-2Bs right out of college in ’89. Other than a boom box , they were the first speakers I owned and have ultimately become the only speakers I’ve ever owned. I imagined becoming a great audiophile and bought the best speakers I could afford along with a cheap receiver to hold me over until I could afford the rest of the system. Immediately thereafter, 30 years of life got in the way.

Having recently retired I sought to correct my neglect and injustice I’ve levied on my trusty speakers as well as attempt to realize an ambition of my youth. In the process I found this forum. After several hours of time here, relying heavily on Westmassguy/David/DHS Speaker Service and F1Nut/Jesse’s generous input to this forum, I gathered some courage, bought Gimpod boards, and a bunch of Sonicaps, many other supplies and jumped.

Yesterday I fired up my system (spoiler alert: it worked): Amazon Music HD source through Blusound Node 2i DAC, GFP-555 Pre, GFA-555 Amp to my SDA-2Bs, connected with Cardas terminations. The speakers have new fabric, mahogany caps, TL’d with Gimpod boards Sonicaps all around, RDO-198 tweeters, Dynamat baskets, and Hurricane nuts. (any feedback appreciated, of course)

My wife and I are blown away (The dog will need some adjusting). My home is filled with phenomenal sound. It’s as if I’m listening to all of the music I love for the first time and discovering so much more to love. (I know, It’s only been a day …might be getting carrier away)

I really want to thank David and Jesse as well as all of the others on this forum that have gone to the trouble to ask questions and share in detail, with pictures, their own upgrade journeys.

Comments