Monitor 10 Series 2

I’m new to the Polk family here....
I just picked up a pair of Monitor 10 Series 2. They are in fabulous shape. The crossover capacitors have been up graded to Clarity CSA (for the tweeter circuit) and Solen (for the woofer shunt) and Mills resistors. Tweeters are upgraded to RD0-198’s.
I’m currently powering these with a Yamaha CR820. That receiver is 55 watts per side into 8 ohms.
My question Is is this an ok receiver to power these speakers? Would I get more out of the speakers with a more powerful receiver? On a decibel reader (phone app) from about 9 ft away from the speakers, they come in about 88/89 db if that helps with anything

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Hello,
    Welcome to Club Polk! Congratulations on getting a nice pair of Monitor 10 Series II speakers in good shape. It goes without saying that they sound best if placed on the speaker stands that were intended for this model. The stands get them the correct distance off of the floor and give them a slight backward tilt.
    Yamaha's receivers have always complimented Polk speakers in my opinion. If you like the idea of finding great sounding relative vintage gear to power the speakers you could look for an Adcom preamp and pair it with an Adcom GFA535 power amp. As far as looking for a more powerful receiver, it probably wouldn't be much of an improvement.
  • catfishky
    catfishky Posts: 2
    Hello,
    Welcome to Club Polk! Congratulations on getting a nice pair of Monitor 10 Series II speakers in good shape. It goes without saying that they sound best if placed on the speaker stands that were intended for this model. The stands get them the correct distance off of the floor and give them a slight backward tilt.
    Yamaha's receivers have always complimented Polk speakers in my opinion. If you like the idea of finding great sounding relative vintage gear to power the speakers you could look for an Adcom preamp and pair it with an Adcom GFA535 power amp. As far as looking for a more powerful receiver, it probably wouldn't be much of an improvement.

Do you think I’d really get more out of the speakers if I moved to something like the adcom over the Yamaha I currently have?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    Maybe -- but the CR820 would've been a classic match for the (original) series Monitor 10s and should be pretty darned nice with the series 2 (unless they're much harder to drive than the original -- I don't know squat 'bout the series 2 version, unfortunately).