RTI A7 vs. S60

Hello and sorry for my English. Let's see if you can help me.

I am a Spanish guy who bought a JBL Studio 290 a year ago. One of them broke the tweeter and I had to return them, because they did not repair it (the product is discontinued, at least in Spain). I liked the speakers, 2 x 8 " bass-mid cones, 4" mid and 1" tweeter.

To replace them I'm thinking of Polk Audio, and specifically RTI A7, which may be the closest thing to what I had. However, I have seen previous discussions in the forum in favor of the S60. Both have a similar price.

Which one do I choose, considering that I want them for a stereo system, especially for music, and that I have a Yamaha A S701 amplifier of 160wpc to drive them?

Another question. I have also read assumptions that the RTIa series can be discontinued, any information about it? I do not want the same thing happening to me as with the JBLs.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    RTi A7 is geared toward HT. Signature Series S60 is what you want for music.
  • abelix
    abelix Posts: 5
    I thought it was the opposite. 3 way for music, but i don't know. which of the two has better bass response?
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Doesn't matter how many drivers, 2 way, 3 way or 5 way, that's not the determining factor for a music or HT speaker.

The RTI series is more focused on the HT side, which means it's a bit more dynamic and bright up top. Sig. series is a tad smoother, still dynamic, not as bright.

Everyone discontinues a speaker line sooner or later in favor of new lines. Polk parts are usually available long after in most cases.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2019
    Welcome to Club Polk, If you are music first, then you should get the Signature S60s I have them and they are fantastic. They can do both music and movies with equal finesse. The tweeter is nice a clear without any ear piercing shrillness, and the three drivers handle mid bass with authority.

Here is the review I did on mine a couple of years ago.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/176622/review-of-polk-signature-series-s60-speakers/p1

Let us know what you end up getting.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I think the RTIA7's are a wonderful speaker for Music. Actually they are the best RT series speaker in that position in the range vs all the past models that it replaces. Over the decades of RT series speakers they always favored the high end. They are a bright speaker but if placed correctly and room is treated you can get a wonderful response out of them. They are priced right at full retail so any discounts make them a very good value. I'd say if you can listen to both of them I'd do that. If you can't the RTIA7's are a solid choice.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • abelix
    edited June 2019
    The problem is that where I live, I can not hear them. There are no stores near. They are ordered by catalog.

Well, the speakers are for a stereo and music, but I have the amplifier connected to a TV via optical cable, and also I watch movies or play some videogame.

Has anyone heard the jbl studio 290? I really like that powerful sound, they were also brilliant, but with some wonderful basses (mid not so outstanding). I'm not doing publicity, I'm definitely going to Polk, it has excellent technical service in Spain.

It's what I do not trust the s60. That the sound may be too "compact".
    Could I control the brightness of the RTIa with the equalization of the amplifier? The Yamaha amplifier is not known to be "colorful".

And my amplifier would move it well?

The room is large (living-dining room) of 35 m2.

Another thing. Although I get the American model, the signature series here bears the letter "e" (S60e) and is more expensive with different cones.

The Polk website is not clear about it.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    The "e" I believe stands for Europe, and they have the option of coming in white. There is nothing compact about the sound of my S60s, in two channel mode they fill my living room with wall to wall sound, especially being driven with 200wpc of amplification, and you won't have to worry about any shrillness with the tweeter.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I just can't see you being unhappy with the S60s.

I would actually love to review a pair of the S20s, as I've been curious about the sound of the Signature Series for a while.
  • abelix
    You are beginning to convince me. Are the RTIs so brilliant, to the point of stridency, how do they rate them in so many opinions?
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    For music you will definitely be happier with the Signature series.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    I have had both and hands down the Signature series for music.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    It does sound like the RTiA is more like the jbls he had and liked: https://www.google.com/amp/s/hometheaterhifi.com/reviews/speaker/floor-standing/jbl-studio-290-floorstanding-speakers-review/amp/

But the OP might find that he grows to like the more warm and balanced s60s once his 👂 grows accustomed to them...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • abelix

Hello! My new polk s60e working and very happy with them. They still have to burn.
    Basses less shocking than the JBL, but deeper. What I liked the most in comparison has been the quality of the Polk mid.
    Thanks for your advice.
  • FrankT
    FrankT Posts: 1
    so it has been a year since abelix started this thread. I am looking at the RTI A7 vs. the S60 as well now. The difference a year later is the price of the speakers. RTI A7 is on sales for almost half the S60. I am installing these in my new HT setup and will not listen to music very much in the space. I do already have S35 center channel and FXI A4 rear surrounds with RC60i for overhead ATMOS and HTS 12 sub. I have Polk in-wall speakers in my living room which I love but wanted a bigger sound for the new home theater. Driving with Yamaha Aventage A880. Does this change anyone's opinion or is the S60 still the way to go. I do love the look and sound. I have listened to them but have not listened to the RTI. It will cost me about $1100 for the S60's and $650 for the RTI A7. thanks!