Marantz SA-14S1

I've been listening to some SACDs this afternoon and really loving the way it sounds. Anybody have some discs they really like the sound of? Mostly classical and jazz, but really anything well done.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    All of Elton Johns are well recorded. I enjoy those greatly.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,658
    Thanks! We watched "Rocketman" last night, thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Ken,

If you have only one SACD in your collection....it should be this one:

http://www.classicalsource.com/db_control/db_cd_review.php?id=4854

Hope all is well with you!

Cheers,

Troy
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    Also forgot, the Mercury Janos Starker Bach Cello Suites are very well done as well....
  • [Deleted User]
    Great, thanks, Troy! I have the Starker Cello Suites as a master tape copy, they were a wedding gift from my wife. I appreciate all of the suggestions.
  • [Deleted User]
    So far I've played:
    RCA Living Stereo, Beethoven and Mendelssohn violin concertos (Heifetz and Munch)
    Music for Organ, Brass and Timpani
    Bill Evans Trio
    Jim Hall, Concierto, MoFi

Really enjoying everything, especially the Heifetz and Bill Evans. I could hear the small duets between the violin and the flute so clearly. Sweet.
  • teekay0007
    teekay0007 Posts: 2,289
    Ken listening to digital?! And enjoying it? Wow, 'zat a cold front I feel? :p

Glad you're enjoying it, Ken. I think 'Yo Yo Ma Plays Ennio Morricone' was really well done and can literally get lost in it - late at night...lights down low...Macallan on the rocks... Also, I really like Norah Jones' 'Come Away With Me' and some of Dianna Krall's stuff - all well recorded.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thanks for the suggestions @teekay0007 I'll add them to my search list. I bought a Sony SACD changer from a CP member along time ago. I put a few new parts in it and began collecting discs. At that time they were being sold in "regular" CD stores and I managed to accumulate a good assortment, especially the RCA Living Stereo which I had the vinyl to compare. Now a friend made this Marantz available and I can go over the old collection with way better results.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087

The top row only are SA-CD. The others are good too, but you know that. :)

vgyc6c51o2w8.jpg
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    tkngw5y7vb08.jpg

Midnight Sugar, Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio

This one is excellent. The SA-CD version has been on my wish list way too long.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Oh god this is not a good thread for my checking account.
  • TroyD
    edited July 2020
    Careful on the Norah Jones Come Away With Me (sounds good but not a mind blowing difference from the red book layer).... the masters they used weren’t high resolution to begin with which is true of a lot of the early SACD’s. Lot of garbage out there.... the Diana Krall stuff, particularly Love Scenes and The Girl in the Other Room is great....on some tracks the sibilance of her microphone is noticeable but do not detract from how great the music is.
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    TroyD wrote: »
    Careful on the Norah Jones Come Away With Me (sounds good but not a mind blowing difference from the red book layer).... the masters they used weren’t high resolution to begin with which is true of a lot of the early SACD’s. Lot of garbage out there.... the Diana Krall stuff, particularly Love Scenes and The Girl in the Other Room is great....on some tracks the sibilance of her microphone is noticeable but do not detract from how great the music is.

Love Scenes is my goto when I'm making sure that a system is what I want it to be. LOL The imperfections in the recording process make it seem more authentic to me and makes it sound more "human". I guess that's the jazz musician in me. LOL
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • TroyD
    Absolutely agree...first time I heard it, I thought I has an equipment problem LOL. Sounded like a tube giving up the ghost.
  • Irrenhaus
    Irrenhaus Posts: 1,082
    This one is good.

3kq48jx3k3rh.jpg
    HTAVR-Pioneer SC99XPA-DR3 Differential Reference AmpPolk R-700Rear- RT150Side- RT150Center-CSi5Sub-Rythmik audio F25Player- Panasonic DP-UB9000Projector- Optoma CinemaX P2Screen- Silver Ticket Products STR Series 6 120"Audio Room 2ch rig.Cary AE-3, Onkyo M-504, Marantz SA8005, Azur 851NWharfedale - Linton, SVS SB12-NSDMinis Forum PC (streamer) and Panamax MX5105Headphone rig;Schiit JOTUNHEIM and different headphones.Samsung 42" flat screen TV.
  • [Deleted User]
    Thanks for everyone's suggestions, I'll be checking these out. @aprazer402 , I already have the Midnight Sugar disc I'll listen to it this morning. The Jazz at the Pawnshop is another well known favorite. I played an Eric Dolphy SACD yesterday and it sounded excellent.
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,860
    I like Diana Krall-Girl In The Other Room on SACD. More soundstage depth is evident in this disc over the redbook version.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited July 2020
    q4iwin8y07fn.jpg
    Mike Oldfield-Tubular Bells
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    gudnoyez wrote: »

Are the "two slightly distorted guitars" still slightly distorted? :p
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    The double speed bagpipe fuzz guitars in all thier glory this SACD sounds fabulous.
    https://www.soundonsound.com/people/classic-tracks-mike-oldfield-tubular-bells
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    1uxreym8jboq.png
    AAAAH!!!
    Dude that's the Exorcist song!
    Gonna be up all night now.
    I disabled signatures.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Love Tubular Bells! One of my fav albums!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • Clipdat
    Listened to this the other day, per the suggestion on this thread:

5saec5ebep12.jpg

I preferred the Mendelssohn piece!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Are you looking for ‘High res’ SACD, or regular SACD?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Whichever one Lady Gaga uses.