PS Audio Stellar Phono Preamp

Who's going to be the first here to buy...or try before you buy?
https://www.psaudio.com/products/stellar-phono-preamplifier/#tab-description
dpdzsy55s7lw.jpg
ysln4atl6lm5.jpg
"This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
"Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon

Comments

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    These do look interesting, but I’m all set in the phono department... for now. But I am a little surprised reviews haven’t started popping up yet.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    PS Audio uses beta testers through their forum members. There are some user reviews on their forum that can be seen in the Reviews tab for the link above in the first post.

Seems to be quite positively reviewed so far with comparisons to older products in a similar price range including prior PS Audio phono preamps that I have and the Parasound Halo offerings. The retail price seems a bit high to me for what it is compared to what else is out there, but the trade in option would bring it down to something more in line with the competition.

Looks like a solid option.
  • Are you sure that you got the solution. If not then you must visit this and get free stuff.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Thanks spammer, but I'll pass.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • jdjohn
    This is happening.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Nice stack man!
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Added it to the stack today.
    nl76vqilj4li.jpg
    ht655j6ifgoc.jpg
    So far, I can definitely say...it works :p

one of the sweetest STACKS I every seen ;) And in my 58 years I've seen several wonderful stacks before! just saying!!! B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • jdjohn
    Thanks guys! After some serious listening, I'll post some type of review. But, I really need to use the balanced/XLR connections in order to see what this unit can REALLY do.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I've been reading some very good comments on this Preamp, I'm sure it has plenty of Synergy with your gear!
  • jdjohn
    edited June 2020
    @BlueBirdMusic asked for an update about this piece in another thread, so I'll share a few thoughts now that I've spent some time with it. My reference phono preamp was a Rogue Audio Triton, which I love. I bet the Triton II is even better.

The PSA Stellar Phono Preamp has lots of nice features. The simple feature of balanced/XLR outputs makes a big difference for me compared to the Triton. Even though the cable run is very short between my phono-pre and line-pre, I like having the added shielding of XLR. There is a fairly strong FM transmitter within 4 miles of my house, so I need all the shielding help I can get. Of course the Stellar has unbalanced/RCA outputs as well. On the input side, there are two: an MM, and an MC. So, a user could have one turntable/tonearm set-up with an MM cart, and a second table/arm sporting an MC, both going into the Stellar. I'm not there, but the feature could be very handy for someone running two turntables (or one tt with two tonearms)...just sayin.

Next thing to discuss is settings/adjustments. There are plenty of different gain settings. MM and MC both have three different/separate gain settings, so three gain settings for each input choice - enough to please most people. For MC load settings, there are several options. For MM...not so much. MM is 47K load at 100pF...that's it. Luckily, 100pF is pretty low, which is my preference since I have several Audio Technica MM carts. Shure cartridges, in particular, like a much higher capacitance setting, so there's that to consider. MC load options are better: three pre-sets at 60/100/200 ohms, plus the 'Custom' setting. Btw, the remote allows for easy switching between settings. When the 'Custom' setting is chosen, it loads based on a pair (left and right) of dial settings on the back on the preamp. The dials go from 1ohm to 1Kohms. This can be quite handy if you have a very low-output MC cart that needs less than the lowest preset of 60ohms. For example, tonight I am using a Klipsh/Zenn MCZ-2 that has <5ohm DC resistance in the coils, so needs a VERY low impedance load.

As far as the sound, I think it is exceptional. Reading other reviews before making your own determination is always risky, but I confess to doing so. In my research of online reviews, I kept reading (generally) about a hump in the upper mids, so that was stuck in my head. After listening myself, I tend to agree. Having said that, I think we should all remember that most of the audible spectrum exists in the upper mids with vocals and instruments, so any said 'hump' in that range tends to sound more simply like extra retrieval of detail...which is a good thing. I'm hearing intricacies never noticed before. There is musicality in this extra layer - not clinical or analytical. Highs are strong, but smooth, with no strident or harsh sound. Lower frequencies are peppy and punchy. Naturally, cartridge selection will influence the sound greatly...especially in the lows.

The noise floor is more like a basement with this unit...extremely quiet. Maybe it's the XLR connection...maybe it's synergy with the PSA power plant. At any rate, it is translating to quicker/stronger attack, and longer decay (esp. cymbals). Separation around instruments/vocals is increased as well. Transients are a non-issue with this preamp...just bring it.

In summary, this phono preamp sounds very nice - my best thus far - and has loads of settings options, particular for MC cartridges. The remote control allows for easy switching/experimentation between gain and loading options, and that feature should not be discounted for when you want to dial-in things.

EDIT: I should probably add that I hear more depth with the Stellar preamp. It is more obvious when an instrument is meant to be heard in the background.
    Post edited by jdjohn on
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Great stuff Jody. Congrats brother.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Jody, I appreciate the update.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Congrats on your new phono preamp.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • jdjohn
    Thanks, guys. I'd say there's about a 5% improvement in having true balanced connections, and another 5% in pure performance compared to the Rogue Triton. Having said that, the Triton has multiple MM capacitance settings (including a -0- setting), and it is also has 75Kohm and 100Kohm settings in case such loads are needed beyond the standard 47Kohm. The Triton is still a very fine phono preamp in my book.

At some point, I'll try running an MC via SUT into the Stellar.