20amp dedicated circuit

So I finally have this now. But before I give feedback on it, I would like to hear from you guys that have one/ or more on your rigs, let me know what changes you heard after installing one?

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Increased resolution, clarity. More authoritative bass/midbass/slam/texture. Increased sound stage.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Ah it's been so long, I have 3, 20 Amp circuits and it is definitely a great peace of mind

Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Better sound, faster attack and peace of mind.

Plus I swear my plasma looks much better once it’s not sharing power with my various amps (sub amps + 5 channel).
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    VR3 wrote: »
    Ah it's been so long, I have 3, 20 Amp circuits and it is definitely a great peace of mind

Congrats!
    same for and from me, Joe though I confess I wish I ran a fourth as a dedicated surround feed - details for another day. Regardless, your ears will thank you

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    3 20's here to. Probably my best bang for the buck upgrade.
  • Jazzhead
    Jazzhead Posts: 520
    Same effects that Tom reports above, but what surprised me was upgrading the outlet from a Hubbell to a Furutech gtx gold. The resolution of vocals and other detail was greatly improved. I never would have thought an outlet upgrade could do that, but there it is.
    Polk Audio first generation RTA-12s; 12 inch Polk Stands; DHS Speaker Service upgraded crossovers w/ Sonicap/Mills; the "westmassguy anti-lobing mod" (hyperdamped outer drivers/mirror imaged); tweeter anti-diffraction mod; Cardas binding posts; Neotech UPOCC internal wire; foam-lined inner driver baskets; xschop phase plugs; deleted fuses; Hurricane nuts; Sonic Barrier; Dynamat Xtreme
    Ayre K-5xeMP preamplifier
    Cambridge Audio 840C CD player; Herbie's Audio Lab Super Black Hole CD Mat
    D-Sonic Custom Audio M3a-600M monoblock amplifiers
    NAD 4155 FM/AM tuner
    Silnote Audio Morpheus Reference II Series II balanced interconnects; Virtue Audio single-ended interconnects
    Kimber 12TC speaker cable w/Furez connectors; VH Audio Flavor 4 power cables w/Furutech connectors
    Herbie's Audio Lab system isolation: Tenderfeet, Big Fat Dots, Grungebuster Dots, Little Fat Gliders
    Dedicated 20A/10 AWG circuit; Furutech GTX-D (G) outlet; Furutech eTP80; Shunyata Research Venom Defender; Synergistic Research Orange fuses
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Yeah. So I have the Furutech gold and Romex 10/2 wire for this tweak
    It feeds into the Audioquest Niagara 5000 with an AQ Hurricane 2m cable (almost $7k retail! Am I insane?- didn’t pay that.)
    Everything is powered off the Niagara.
    I am hearing (and seeing) slightly more of everything. Just more authority.
    The AQ was already doing a great job extracting as much as possible, but now the sub is just off the chain. The depth of the image has increased as has the range of tones. All octaves are sounding very detailed as some might have been stronger than others in the past.
    Quite happy overall.
  • VR3
    Now just need to add 2 more! 😜😜😜😜😜😜😜

Jk, glad you are enjoying the benefits
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I ran the separate 20 Amp line when we built our home. So I have no 'before and after' comparisons.

But, as Jazzhead stated above, I had a very notable increase in sound quality after installing some better receptacles. Mine are a simple Hubbell Hospital Grade, but they are sooo much better than the standard .50 receptacles.

I also enjoy the ability to cut the power to the system when there is a storm brewing or I'm leaving for a few days. As been said, Peace of Mind is worth a ton.
  • gp4jesus
    ”...Mine are a simple Hubbell Hospital Grade, but they are sooo much better than the standard .50 receptacles.
    Mike,
    I googled “ hubbell hospital grade receptacle.” Which do I buy?

I saw receptacles every color of the rainbow. Prices from $5 to $75. 15A, 20A, and some GFCIs. I’m interested in as many as 7, mostly 20As.
    I also enjoy the ability to cut the power to the system when there is a storm brewing or I'm leaving for a few days. As been said, Peace of Mind is worth a ton.
    What method do you use? Does it completely disconnect your system from your circuit or just open one side like a light switch?

I just unplug from the feeds.

Big thanks and congrats 🍾🎊🎈🎉 Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Congrats brother.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Mike Reeter
    edited June 2020
    gp4jesus wrote: »
    ”...Mine are a simple Hubbell Hospital Grade, but they are sooo much better than the standard .50 receptacles.
    Mike,
    I googled “ hubbell hospital grade receptacle.” Which do I buy?

I saw receptacles every color of the rainbow. Prices from $5 to $75. 15A, 20A, and some GFCIs. I’m interested in as many as 7, mostly 20As.
    What method do you use? Does it completely disconnect your system from your circuit or just open one side like a light switch?

I just unplug from the feeds.

Big thanks and congrats 🍾🎊🎈🎉 Tony

Hubbell-Wiring HBL5262I Industrial Specification Grade Extra Heavy-Duty Straight Blade Duplex

They are not a "Hi End Audio Receptacle" but they are MUCH better than a Standard Grade. They provide a good, solid grip on heavy Power Cords.

z8cn0s5yog6p.png

To cut the power I flip the Breaker
  • gp4jesus
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Mike😊

$20-25 - reasonably $d considering connection quality improvement. I will stock up a few at a time for my system relocation in 3-4 years
  • VR3
    Ginger? What the....
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    I have 4 for my system.
    A noticeable amount of noise was eliminated, and that was with a low end AVR.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Most anything hospital grade has much better stronger grip. You sure wouldn't want your lifeline suddenly falling out of the socket.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    I assume when I was in the hospital the receptacles there met some standard. While there I was hooked up to some intravenous drip tube, and some electric gizmo to monitor the heart. Whenever I needed to go to the bathroom I just gave a tug on the power cord to unplug that stuff. If it was a tighter receptacle then it was only a little bit tighter.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    Bud you should have demanded to be taken to a hospital that used power cables from Shunyata Research's medical division: https://clearimagescientific.com/products/
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    PS Audio has outlets as well: https://www.psaudio.com/products/power-port-classic/ I got one of these on the secondary market, and can tell you it has quite a good grip!
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • VR3
    I'm using pangea for the 2 channel circuits and they seem to perform well
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    I'm using pangea for the 2 channel circuits and they seem to perform well

Which pangea outlets are you using?
  • VR3
    edited June 2020
    qse3tt70ywn7.jpg
  • Mike Reeter
    I'm not the one who labels outlets as "Hospital Grade". I just know that with eight outlets in my Circuit, I couldn't bring myself to spend $1600. or more on receptacles.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I assume when I was in the hospital the receptacles there met some standard. While there I was hooked up to some intravenous drip tube, and some electric gizmo to monitor the heart. Whenever I needed to go to the bathroom I just gave a tug on the power cord to unplug that stuff. If it was a tighter receptacle then it was only a little bit tighter.

Bud i'm sure you know they get a ton of use and wear out from said use. There are standards they must meet.

To be labeled "hospital grade" they must meet a certain criteria that one the NEC and two manufactures of equipment require.

From the NEC site:
    The primary reason to use a hospital-grade receptacle at a patient bed location is to ensure that a receptacle with a greater contact tension is provided to minimize possibilities that an attachment plug supplying medical or life support equipment may be disconnected because the attachment plug slipped out of the receptacle.

Another important consideration is what type of equipment will be connected to the receptacle. Some types of medical equipment include a manufacturer marking that indicates that proper grounding can only be ensured where connected to a hospital-grade receptacle. In this case, if one knows that this type of equipment is going to be used, 110.3(B) requires a hospital-grade receptacle because of the installation instructions and recommendations from the medical equipment manufacturer.
  • treitz3
    Silly people. You guys should know by now that a dedicated transformer and a low cost circuit breaker like this is a minimum requirement to getting good sound.

ppjb1g9ot3gk.png

Anything else is just.....well, substandard. I mean, if you have already gone this route, spending a bill or two on an outlet ain't really that much at the end of the day. 'Naw mean?

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • treitz3
    Obviously I am kidding in the post above. That's a 40K panel you can drool over though. I was able to find a post of my observations the very day I installed "just the outlets" in my rig. Again, no other changes, this is just replacing the 2 outlets 7 years ago...

"....here's my observations on the installation of two upgraded electrical outlets that feed the system yesterday. Thought I'd go ahead and share my observations for those who may be interested.

After listening to about 20 plus albums with nothing else changed but the two outlets the system is plugged into, I'm actually rather surprised at the outcome. The entire presence is sharper, more "in focus", if you will. I have noticed that the volume now needs to be lowered as the volume knob's usual position is too loud now. The lower registers have more weight, authority and extension. I really don't know how to describe the change in the top end....less "grain", if you will, that brings out even more subtle detail. That's about the only way I can think of describing what I'm hearing on the top end. It's nice.

I will say this, I could kick myself in the ol' keister for not doing this sooner. I have had the outlets for about two years now. DOH! It amazes me that such a little change can make such an impact. It's nothing so dramatic like a night and day difference but it is definitely something to consider if you haven't upgraded the outlets yet.

I believe the outlets I installed were PS Audio, though I'm not 100% certain about that. I can not see any "advertising" on them whatsoever. The best I can tell you is that they are grey, kinda look like a hospital outlet and they have an orange triangle and a teal circle next to the lower grounding pin. I know, not much help but that's all I can offer other than that they weigh about triple the weight of a standard outlet."

I have since found out that the outlets are not PS Audio and I still have no clue what brand they are but they cling to a power cord like a 5 gallon bucket to another 5 gallon bucket. It definitely takes some effort.

Tom
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    qse3tt70ywn7.jpg

I have the same outlets, not bad for $20
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    treitz3 wrote: »
    The entire presence is sharper, more "in focus", if you will. I have noticed that the volume now needs to be lowered as the volume knob's usual position is too loud now. The lower registers have more weight, authority and extension. I really don't know how to describe the change in the top end....less "grain", if you will, that brings out even more subtle detail. That's about the only way I can think of describing what I'm hearing on the top end. It's nice.

Yep! Exactly
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Dedicated 20 amp lines for all my rigs with a total of 16 of these...
    hbedhy9c6r8b.jpg

and 6 of these....
    kfnrcw9p0coi.jpeg

also 6 of these...
    2rsdvgp4glg5.jpg

Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk