Denafrips new cd transport

marvda1
marvda1 Posts: 4,862
for you who still like to spin the silver discs, Denafrips has a new transport that upsamples and it's only $1200. I have the Jay's audio cdt2 mk2 that's double the price.
https://www.denafrips.com/avatar
Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
Puritan PSM156

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Currently being reviewed at 6moons. It looks well made.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    It does indeed.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    It certainly looks nice, and the price is attractive. I never heard of Denafrips before, but they seem to have a wide variety of gear.

https://www.denafrips.com/
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    BlueFox wrote: »
    It certainly looks nice, and the price is attractive. I never heard of Denafrips before, but they seem to have a wide variety of gear.

https://www.denafrips.com/
    They have kind of become the sweetheart of digital ChiFi. I haven't heard any of their grear myself, but they are very well reviewed around various forums and YouTube reviews, with a sizable following. DACs are where they get the most press, but their amp has generally been well received too.

This CDT is certainly interesting, and I think it hits a smart price point coming in at half the price of Jays but notably above options like the CXC or the Audiolab unit.

I'm not spinning CDs enough at this point to jump on this, but I'd love to A/B it with the Jays. Maybe Marvin will get his hands on one and I can bring my CXC and we can check out what you get at every price point.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    edited June 2020
    Denafrips has been around for a bit. The Terminator Dac looks fantastic. I think that is what Steve Gutenberg runs.

The Denafrips Aries dac for the money is also supposed to be fantastic. I believe they are R2R
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited June 2020
    I believe that the Distributor for Denafrips also handles the Jay's Transport as well. The Avatar could very well be designed and built by the same designer as Jay's.

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I believe that the Distributor for Denafrips also handles the Jay's Transport as well. The Avatar could very well be designed and built by the same designer as Jay's.

Could be OEM from Jays honestly. Win-win for everyone.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

Could be OEM from Jays honestly. Win-win for everyone.

I've kinda lusted for a Jay's Transport, but they are not and inexpensive spinner. The new Avatar is filling a gap between the high end and the moderately priced Transports out there.

It's got my attention, thanks for posting marvda1