What is the proper crossover frequency for S-60s paired with HTS-12?

Options
soapy
soapy Posts: 3
I have two S-60s and two HTS-12s and was wondering what my crossover frequency should be. Thanks in advance.

Best Answers

• TopperDude
    TopperDude Posts: 166
    Answer ✓
    Options
    ok cool. Here's what i recommend:

AV Receiver settings:
    - set all speakers to 'small'
    - set the following crossover points (Fronts & Surround - 80hz to 100hz, Center - 120hz)
    - set LFE to default 120hz and set to LFE (not LFE + main)

Subs:
    - set lowpass to wide-open (160hz)

You may need to fine-tune levels to taste but the above always works great and maximizes av receiver power and speaker performance.

Try this out and let us know how it works for you.
  • soapy
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thanks Topper - you're the best.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited June 2020 Answer ✓
    Options
    Consider setting the S-35 100hz though Topper makes an excellent point on “...maximizing AVR power” as your subs seem robust Regardless if you don’t like 100hz you can change/reverse the setting.

If you had more power on tap I’d suggest starting @ 80hz all around.

BTW what square footage/room shape are you attempting to fill? Open floor plan? Cathedral ceilings? Flooring? Drapes or lots of glass?

Tong😊
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • TopperDude
    Answer ✓
    Options
    yes definitely try both and go with the one that you prefer.

(my experience with the 100hz crossover setting on the S35 is i found it sounding a little thin. Lifting it to 120hz let the subs better integrate with the center. If you have subs on both sides of the front area, you shouldnt have any detrimental effects with this higher setting)

Answers

• TopperDude
    Options
    Is this for your HT setup using an AV Receiver?
  • soapy
    Options
    Yes it is.

I have a Yamaha RX-V485 5.1AVR with 1x Polk Audio S35 center channel, 2x Polk Audio S15 surrounds, and the 2x S-60 fronts and 2x HTS-12 subs.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited July 2020
    Options
    We’re here to help. To that end, describe the space you’re attempting to fill. It’s as much a component as the electronics & speakers.

Compartmented or Open floor plan? Mine is open to kitchen and hallway

Square and estimated cubic footage of the actual space

Dimensions of the actual space?
    Mine is 21’ W X 8’ H X 15.5’ D

Cathedral ceilings or flat? 8’ 10’ 12’
    Flooring:
    Carpet?
    Tile or hardwood? uncovered or area rugs.
    Mine hardwood w/thick area rug that I wish
    were larger

Walls:
    Glass? Covered W/thick or thin drapery or
    uncovered. Mine thick drapery
    Glass patio door in a facing wall? with or w/out
    drapery

I dislike how saving reformats my post
    Tony😊

Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work