2.3 TL'S best position?

hi, best position for 2.3 TL'S, distance from front wall, distance from side walls,
no SDS cable connected,running as normal speakers

Comments

• gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    You could probably use the center pin of a long RCA cable until you found a more suitable replacement.
  • billben3
    billben3 Posts: 13
    SDA cable is not the problem, i tried and they sound **** at least on rock and metal music that i'm listening mostly, i prefer their sound as normal stereo speakers
    i've place'em "by the book" as the polk manual suggests, 3 feet from side walls
    and 6-7" from the front wall, just asking if someone tried different positioning with better results.
  • billben3
    spw6w0sd3uej.jpg
    turntable - Sound By Design Quasar LTE
    tonearm - Rega RB300 - Cardas Incognito rewired
    cartridge - Goldring Eroica LX (MC 0.5 mV)
    phono stage - Trichord Dino/Dino Plus
    cd player - Arcam Alpha 5
    dac - Grace Design m903
    pre-amp - Cary SLP98 (6sn7 NOS Sylvania)
    power amp - Ayre V3
    Kimber Cable interconnects and speaker cables
    Electrocompaniet/Symphonic Line/Clear Audio power cables

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Mine are 3.75" off back wall and 5' from any side walls. They love power and more importantly current. If you are using a lower powered amp or receiver then they will sound like crud. Here's my progression I started with a fully modified/recapped Carver TFM 45, Adcom 5802, Aragon 4004mkii now Aragon 8008bb.
    The Aragons have been the largest improvement because they have tons of current and they grab ahold of the drivers and master their movement with authority.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Best position?

My living room.

Let me know what time you would like to drop them by.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The placement in the photo above shows the speakers too close to the side walls and the rack will interfere with the sound too. Better to pick a different pair of speakers for that space that can be set up so they are pulled out into the room so the baffles are just in front of the rack. The 2.3TL placement requires the speakers to be placed fairly close to the front wall, which means they are the wrong speakers for the space and system above. The TV screen in the middle will also mess with the two channel sound.

The 3 feet or more from the side walls and 6" to 12" from the front wall are good guidelines for SDAs. One of the drawbacks to the 2.3TLs and other big SDAs is they really need a lot of space to function as designed. They can overload a smallish room and not sound their best.

Looks like a really nice system if different speakers are used.
  • billben3
    Ayre V3 is 100@8, 200@4, polk is 6 omhs,so is something like 150 watt @6
    it sounds great, but when i first got'em (november 2019) i linked the sds cable,
    i really don't like this weird soundstage they make, i don't know, i prefer
    listen to them as normal speakers.maybe in home theater mode, but not in music
    ,at least in hard rock/metal no thanks.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Argree 100% with Emlyn. That rack and TV and close proximity to the sidewalls are fouling up the soundstage.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'll echo all the other comments. That space is too small for those speakers. Having the equipment rack between & in front of them is probably why you prefer them without the SDA cable.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited June 2020
    A new pair of L600s would fit there nicely. :smile:

https://www.polkaudio.com/products/l600
  • billben3
    edited June 2020
    of course they love current, how else would they move all these woofers?
    my previous speakers were these canadian Coincident Triumph
    iwfo6ai7srl8.jpg
    great speaker, very clear but nothing to do with the 2.3s
    rock and metal is sounds great now
    is something like i placed a wall of sound in the front wall.
  • billben3
    edited June 2020
    indeed they need more space,especially for the SDA effect to work properly.
    Also the 55" tv in the middle adds this harsh effect as all screens and windows
    act in sound reflections, hope to place'em in a bigger room soon........
    but when i saw the ad with that guy selling these speakers i couldn't resist.....hehehe!!
    I'm living in Athens, Greece guys, these polk and all the SRS series
    never imported here,the guy that sold me them imported the 2.3 tl's by himself from
    the states back in 92.
    Post edited by billben3 on
  • billben3
    you think if i shorten this equipment rack, (it's a diy one) maybe i give'em more room to breathe?
    just thinking of it.....
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    billben3 wrote: »
    you think if i shorten this equipment rack, (it's a diy one) maybe i give'em more room to breathe?
    just thinking of it.....

That and a ton of room treatments
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billben3
    yeah, it needs some absorption and diffusion panels, the ceiling is done with
    diy GIK Acoustics Soffit Bass Traps
  • billben3
    uxry97jxohlj.jpg
    something like this but with whiter fabric
  • billben3
    this one
    jsnx6cduv8uz.jpg
    filled with Aritherm, (something like rockwool, but not toxic,i don't like to breathe this ****.)
  • billben3
    in small rooms the right treatment is LEDE, Means the front wall (back from speakers)
    and side walls is live (with diffusors) and the back wall (behind the listener) is dead, means absorption (rockwool panels and things like that) so you avoid the back reflections
    return to the listening position.
  • invalid
    invalid Posts: 1,270
    My sda2A's didn't really sing until I got a krell ksa 300s amp, I'm sure the 2.3's would work better with more power. I also have a tv between mine and they still image great.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    So in a small room like yours you need to eliminate side reflection for the SDA to work otherwise you just have a bunch of noise bouncing around which sounds like cra p as you've found out. Work on that
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • billben3
    so,absorption in side walls against of diffusion?
  • stones89
    stones89 Posts: 229
    Pull them out further into the room. And play with toe in if used as a traditional speaker.
    Basis 2200 Signature, Vector 4, Transfiguration Proteus, Allnic H3000, Meridian 200/563, CJ ET5, McIntosh 501's, Thiel CS6, 3.6, Polk SDA SRS 2.3tl, MIT EVO, KS/Wywires PC's
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    @F1nut living room
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.