Recommendations on CD players? $150ish budget, new or used

Options
Pretty much that simple. Looking to build another system for my dad, who has a huge pile of CDs. I'd like a good stand alone single disc CD player for a smallish system for his business.

Just scrolling through Amazon or eBay the modern options all look like they suck. A cheap DVD player would do it, but I'd like something a bit more quality.

I'm very open to used gear. I could match my dad's existing Rotel which sounds great for about $200 on eBay. I've done the PS1 audio mod on a few systems, which is cool but the interface is lacking.

Edit: in the US.

Comments

• Conradicles
    Conradicles Posts: 6,042
    Options
    They don't have one today, but keep an eye on the Cambridge Audio eBay store.
  • dolsey01
    dolsey01 Posts: 15
    Options
    Lots of quality DVD players available for short money. Picked up my Sony DVP-S7700 for about $63 shipped on eBay just a few months ago.

I sold them when they were new for 1K.
    https://whathifi.com/us/features/was-then-sony-dvp-s7700

My MusicHall 25.2 DAC sounds better than the built in DAC but still it's not too bad.
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 1,004
    Options
    I run an Onkyo c7030. It was a refurbished unit that I think I paid $159ish. This was about 4-5 years ago. I find it reliable,pretty quiet,and pleasant enough sounding. I now run it as just a transport. There is a ton of positive feedback on the interwebs regarding this player.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,063
    Options
    I like the idea of matching his current Rotel gear. That being said, I’m not familiar enough with their CD players to know what you can get for $150. I once owned the RCD-1072 and it was fantastic, but it was also more than $150.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Options
    They don't have one today, but keep an eye on the Cambridge Audio eBay store.

Agreed on this one, in fact I just bought my own Dad a full Cambridge set up from their Ebay store (AXC 35, AXR100, and SX-80) since he hasn't had a decent stereo system in years and really needed one b/c they've been spending so much time in their game room during quarantine. The AXC 35 was 229. I would check safe and sound hq as well, They have some NAD CD players for under 200.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • jbreezy5
    jbreezy5 Posts: 1,141
    edited June 2020
    Options
    See my related post. I included photos of what I settled on, and there are several at your price-point on ebay.

It’s construction, functionality, and sound give a feeling of pride of ownership.

Your Rotel matched system also seems like a good idea.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/189836/cd-player-recommendation#latest
    CD Players: Sony CDP-211; Sony DVP-S9000ES; Sony UDP-X800M2 (x2); Cambridge Audio CXC

DACs: Jolida Glass FX Tube DAC III (x2); Denafrips Ares II (x2)

Streamers: ROKU (x3); Bluesound Node 2i and Node N130 w/LHY LPS // Receivers: Yamaha RX-V775BT; Yamaha RX-V777

Preamps: B&K Ref 50; B&K Ref 5 S2; Classe CP-800 MkII; Audio Research SP16L (soon)

Amps: Niles SI-275; B&K ST125.7; B&K ST125.2; Classe CA-2300; Butler Audio TDB-5150

Speakers: Boston Acoustics CR55; Focal Chorus 705v; Wharfedale Diamond 10.2; Monitor Audio Silver-1; Def Tech Mythos One (x4)/Mythos Three Center (x2)/Mythos Two pr.; Martin Logan Electromotion ESL; Legacy Audio Victoria/Silverscreen Center; Gallo Acoustics Reference 3.1; SVS SB-1000 Pro; REL HT-1003; B&W ASW610; HifiMan HE400i

Turntable: Dual 721 Direct-Drive w/Audio Technica AT-VM95e cart

Cables: Tripp-lite 14ga. PCs, Blue Jeans Cable ICs, Philips PXT1000 ICs; Kimber Kable DV30 coaxial ICs; Canare L-4E6S XLR ICs; Kimber Kable 8PR & 8TC speaker cables.