Computer Upgrade

Options
mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Hello,

So the last few months my son and I have been busy building and upgrading our PC's.

My son who hasn't turned on his old I5-2500k in years was trying to play a game and after an hour it would slow down. I looked into it and gee wonder why
65re6g72ivlk.jpg
I built that PC back in 2013 or so.

I looked around and got a deal on an I5-8500 and a good MSI Z390 board aand proceded to build him a new gamer

go64fkxsaio6.jpg
v5aqrs6m18ef.jpg

We took the good old parts that were good found a new Gen3 i5 and built another PC to sell. He sold it to a buddy the next day. I did build my son a new desk to show off the disco lights

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• mrloren
    Options
    We then took that money and upgraded me :)

My build was kind of 2015 old and case was from 2009
    joefwbpxpohw.jpg

I had an I5-4690K a trip to Micro Center money from the parts and my May fishing budget I got a new I5-9600k MSI Z390 Pro and an RTS 2060 Super.
    hkd2an1zuce2.jpg
    dwxyf2fyduat.jpg

Been playing a few older games at max settings and enjoying my self.

My old parts went into my daughters PC. We took those and guess what we built another to sell.

dgt6ulqycs6v.jpg

Yes another disco ball but that is what kids like.

When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • mrloren
    Options
    While we were at it I was looking at this old IKEA shelf thing here and it was time to get rid of it.

xgsq6imcnk3i.jpg

yeah that has had better days

Some nice A1 Birch a day of fun in the yard

ana8g8f8x9b3.jpg

I think this looks a lot better

h0dn70c2qflx.jpg

My son and I added up what we spent and what we sold for our upgrades came to about $600 for the two of us.

He went from a I5-2500k 16GB RAM 250GB SSD to an I5-8500 32GB RAM RTX 2060 1TB SSD

I went from an I5-4690k GTX 970SC 16GB RAM. to a I5-9600k still at 16GB RAM but DDR4-2666 and a RTX 2060 super. I am still using the same 1TB SSD and optical drives.

Oh and PC parts are getting bleek and the line at Micro Center was long

acofh2ktnyq1.jpg

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Options
    Nice work on both the computers and desk/shelves.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Good job! I wish I had better woodworking skills.

I used to do the same when my kids lived at home. When I upgraded my son got my old parts and she got his. He needed a faster computer than she did.

I've been water cooling my computers (the ones I use) for the last 10 years or so and always o/c them.

Here's a pic of the one I use in my Sim rig. 8600K o/c to 5.0.

h2z5b0dyxlui.jpg

pmcn8blr74zo.jpg

Post edited by Milito on
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,082
    Options
    Wow! A great project.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Nice job.
    I am looking forward to building my first gaming computer. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Nice work. I too have a ~6 year old i5 that needs upgrading. I think I need most new parts this time. The case is about 15+ years old now but since it had a custom lighting set I modified to work with newer parts. Great that you can sell the old stuff to recoup some cost.

Will have to wait a little longer since my PC budget is low having just bought two NUC's and a Synology DS218+ with dual 8TB drives.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    My 5400 was just stuttering this morning while the kids watched a direct stream from Plex. I immediately told my wife that I needed to upgrade. She called my bluff and stated it worked fine up until today. Now I have to trouble shoot with no upgrade... :/
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Really nice work guys! I'm considering a new build myself, but it's kind of hard to justify for my needs. I don't do any gaming, so it's just for internet surfing, some light MS Office work and printing, and archiving media. But this thread has inspired me to update my disk drive backup options. My processing power and RAM are fine for my purposes, but a HDD failure is my main concern. I could probably get a little more zip (and longevity) by just installing a SSD.

I've been an AMD guy from the beginning, so will likely stick with them if I decide to do a new build. We don't have anything like a Micro Center in my area, so my default is New Egg online.

It's encouraging to see other desktop users :) Most folks have gone purely laptop, but I think I'll always want to have a desktop at home. I have a Chromebook for surfing while on the sofa and traveling. The battery life is amazing.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I fell down a rabbit 🐇 hole 🕳 when I decided to change out the exhaust cooling fans on my case which were 15 years old and not spinning so fast anymore. Once the new ones were in the computer began shutting down while booting up. Not crashing, just turning off suddenly. After asking around including here and buying a new power supply and new hard drive and new copy of Windows. I discovered quite by accident the CPU heatsink and fan had come loose and wasn’t making good contact with the CPU causing it to overheat and shut off. Unfortunately by the time I realized this I burned out the CPU.
    Okay FINE!
    This wound up being the third or fourth time I have rebuilt this thing since I first built it in 2005. I kept everything that I bought that I didn’t need and used it all. I also upgraded the processor from the old Core i7 920 to a Xeon that I had wanted years ago, but was way too expensive.

8fdwzt8rfh06.jpeg
    jb11lmof2ae2.jpeg
    szsycfuyhq5c.jpeg

So now I have a faster processor and four terabytes of storage. Next step was to upgrade the Ram. I had 12 gigs running at 2000mhz (which is the fastest that my board could handle) Now I have 20 gigs.
    I’m no gamer
    I’m no pro
    Just a geek🤓
    dppz3ai67v0m.jpeg

I am also very happy I bought a server case instead of a regular one a decade and a half ago. It was on sale for less than a regular one and has a LOT more room to work in!
    340zdu71gicn.jpg

There’s 9 fans in there. Including the two on the back that I replaced, two on the front, one on the processor, one on the 1000 watt power supply, two on the ram chipsets and one on the graphics card.
    I absolutely do not get the whole LED fan thingy.

Must be yous gamers.🤓😉
    It’s a good thing I got a new copy of Windows, because now the old one was corrupted from so many times turning the computer on and having it shut off halfway through the boot up. I couldn’t get the computer to boot up properly once I got everything in order and I also couldn’t get it to boot from the USB thumb drive they put Windows 10 on now (no more DVD’s📀. So I changed the the first boot device to one of the DVD 📀 drives and then installed an old Copy of Windows 7. Once that was done I was able to upgrade it to Windows 10.
    edm6txfttc1z.jpg
    I’m thinking about changing out the graphics card. Again I don’t game, but I’ve done just about everything else now.
  • Milito
    Options
    Yes I also have a big tower for my desktop. Like you said it's a lot easier to work in and it also cools better. It is also water cooled. The only bad part is when you have to move them. I blow mine out with an air compressor every 4 to 5 months to get all of the dust out.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • mrloren
    edited May 2020
    Options
    On my son's old one the fans were slow, I left it up to him to blow it out, Guess once he started working he forgot all about it. Then there is me forgetting to reapply the thermal past once every few years. Don't know if the CPU was completely toast, when we rebuilt it only thing we changed was the CPU I5-2500k to and I5 3450 it was fine. His friend is liking a desktop after years of laptop and the small screen.

I blow mine out on time change weekends. I've been thinking of getting an AIO cooler, compressing a video to MP4 from a BD or DVD it does get a little toasty around 65c which is still in spec.

I've been building my own PC's for close to 30 years now, had a part time garage repair thing going on for years. I enjoy it as a hobby I found repairing and building PC's can get old.

If your thinking of upgrading or building a new desktop any time soon, forget about it till fall. Parts are getting scarce, the Micro Center trip was 100 miles each way.. glad there was no traffic. All local San Diego stores have been cleaned out.
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    I just go online to either eBay or bestbuy's website. I haven't seen a Microcenter in my area (Washington, D.C.)in many years.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,050
    Options
    Spam alert

My laptop just turned 10 years old, still does everything I need!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    Yup. I've got an 8-9 year old i5-2200 home-built desktop that my son still uses for some gaming. It could go for another couple of years but I think it's time to upgrade. I just bought an NUC8i7BEH ( i7-8559U ) and the NUC loads games faster. In game, the desktop is faster due to its GPU.

I'm going to let him research and figure out an upgrade path as a fun little project. Since the desktop may need a new case, SSD, and GPU then it's probably better to leave it and let someone use it for a general purpose office machine.

Probably if someone buys a low-end PC to begin with then it may not last more than 4-5 years. But 10 years isn't hard to get out of a machine made with better components.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Options
    And now I have the desire to dust my PC this weekend...

My 4 or 5 year old 6400 is still chugging along only serving as a Plex Server. I should probably build a NAS and dump the big boxed PC for a smaller form factor.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • spongebobsquarepants
    Options
    Those shelves look great! How did you join the shelves to the sides? Finish nails?
  • mrloren
    Options
    Those shelves look great! How did you join the shelves to the sides? Finish nails?

Dado which is good and bad. Good because it's solid bad because they can't be adjusted
  • spongebobsquarepants
    Options
    Nice! With a table saw? I suppose you could do dados with a circular saw (or even a CNC machine these days).
    I'm new to woodworking, but really enjoy it. It's easier for me to make stuff out of steel most of the time being a construction equipment mechanic.

I made some wooden shelves recently with brass screws thru the sides into the shelves. They get the job done, but after I was done I was thinking there has to be a better way. The strength of wood glue blows my mind!
  • Milito
    Options
    Just realized that the picture I posted was of my previous build, a 7700K with a Gigabyte board, not the 8600K and ASUS board I have now.

I wish I had room in my garage for a table saw as I would try to build more things out of wood.
  • mrloren
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I live in SoCal and do all my woodwork out side. I have a 7x7 shed I keep my table saw in, stays nice and dry. When it's time for wood work I just pull it out.

1uj385wn00mo.jpg

I would like to have a big shop but that would mean I could do more. My current setup allows me to take breaks and not over work it. It would suck to still be working after dark when I should be inside enjoying a movie.

I'd say we get about 300+ days a year I can work out side.

For Dado's I mostly use my table saw. It does take a bit of work to dial in the dado stack. Once dialed in smooth and easy. Other method I use is a router, works good too.

• seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Just upgrade my quarantine boredom bud computer, again. I did build a parts PC and sold it last week, but still have 2 custom PC's and a tiny prebuilt around.

White computer is the build I made over quarantine, EVGA x299 micro, i7 7800x, 850w PSU, EVGA aio 360mm, EVGA ftw3 2070 super(EVGA hybrid liquid cooler enroute), 32gb gskill trident z 3200 c16 ram(4x8)EVGA dg77 case, 1tb WD black nvme, all Corsair fans, Logitech mouse and keyboard 610 Orion and g502, lg ultra gear monitors, 144hz IPS g-sync 1440p and 144hz ips g-sync 1080p, presonus Eris xt5 monitors, schiit magni2uber DAC,

The black one is my first computer, originally built in 2017(motherboard, RAM, psu and 1 Sata SSD still remain but it's always getting built upon too, but the other one just games better so I'll probably part it out. ROG x370 crosshair 6 extreme, R5 3600, 16 gb Corsair dominator platinum 3200 c14, ROG gtx 1080 OC, thermaltake RGB 850w PSU, mostly Corsair fans and a noctua nhd15 cooler, fractal design s2 meshify, 1tb Samsung 970ev nvme and a 4 sata SSDs totaling 3.5 tb.

hcc672kqmhs3.jpg
    05ekfsgj2aaq.jpg
    b9rqony78k5z.jpg
    myvg9vhym2x8.jpg
    qd8tanibhh05.jpg
    j6lkkxgprq1f.jpg
    g4gqi452o419.jpg
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • honestaquarian
    Options
    Dang
    All I did was upgrade to 24 gigs of ram.....
    Man this stuff is as expensive and addictive as having that dread disease Audiophilia Nervosa!
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,608
    Options
    Noctua makes the best CPU coolers, good choice.
  • honestaquarian
    edited July 2020
    Options
    ulyudgz8fyne.jpg

One of the nice things about Windows 10 if you know how to turn the SMB back on. You can stream DSD! (INSTEAD of having to load it up on a USB stick)
  • seabeerob213
    seabeerob213 Posts: 1,840
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Noctua makes the best CPU coolers, good choice.

Agreed, but went for an AIO on my Intel build mainly for looks, but a good noctua is on par with good 280mm AIOs and still pretty close to a 360mm, if I were to go any smaller than a 360mm would have grabbed another nhd15.
    2 Channel(work in progress):DAC: Schiit modi 2 uberAmp:Parasound 1200 MK IISub:RBH 1010-SEP Speakers: Monitor 5A peerlesscurrently running some krk rokit 3g since the HK pre outs died and i need to start breaking everything down to move in a couple monthsHeadphones:Source: tidalDAC: schiit modius epre: schiit sysAmp: AQ dragonfly black/ schiit magni2 Cans: Velodyne V-True, Grado SR225i, sennheiser x drop gaming headsetPC:DAC: schiit modius e(over spdif)pre: schiit sysspeakers: prenous eris 5 xtSub: Earthquake Sound MiniMe-P63most of my comments are passing on of info, im a noob, im just trying to help how i can, if im wrong or out of place to comment, dont hesitate to let me know :)"WITH WILLING HEARTS AND SKILLFUL HANDS, THE DIFFICULT WE DO AT ONCE, THE IMPOSSIBLE TAKES A BIT LONGER, WITH COMPASSION FOR OTHERS. WE BUILD - WE FIGHT FOR PEACE WITH FREEDOM"Seabee Memorial, Arlington, VA
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,478
    Options
    My grandson and i built my first gaming computer last fall. Corsair case. AMD X570 mobo, 750 watt ps, 16gb ram, 500 gb 2m drive. Installed a cheap AMD cpu/gpu processor to bridge the gap until we can get a a Ryzen 5600x and nvidia 3000 series Ha Ha.
    Anyway I was not happy with noisy mobo sound so I added a EVGA Nu Audio sound card. Now it's quiet and the SQ is at a different level.
    7y1l47noskfn.jpg
    tqf73qvcr4e5.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,049
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Apropos of nothing (moi?) :#

I've been fairly aggressively downgrading computers lately :)
    Most recent project is an IBM (!?!!) Thinkpad R60 (Intel Core 2 Duo). Just retrofitted it with a 256 gb SSD and 32 bit Linux Mint. Works great :)

I literally don't know where this computer came from, but I figure it'll be good for streaming music from our NAS and/or teh webz, via the USB DAC recently karma'd by @clipdat (thanks again!).

cu1y0mtdjyji.jpg

(ahem -- ripping, as the kids would say :*, some tunes for Mrs. H, don't you know?)

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,463
    Options
    dag, Doc, ripping on Linux? You smaht.
    I disabled signatures.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,004
    Options
    Nicely done! I went through a phase of buying used IBM/Lenovo Thinkpads for upgrading. They were real workhorses. I noticed all the big firm consultants using them, so figured they must be built-to-last. The big weakness, in the end, was the lame battery life...and excess weight.

Power to the Penguin! :D
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon