masks

tonyb
tonyb Posts: 32,902
Any of you guys have a recommendation for a mask that lets you breath more ? I have to take a plane trip to Florida soon and those surgical masks I have now , I can barely make 20 minutes without having to take it off. Don't know how I'm going to make the trip in the airport and 3 hours on the plane with a fooking mask on.

Any particular type that allows one to breath easier ?
HT SYSTEM-
Sony 850c 4k
Pioneer elite vhx 21
Sony 4k BRP
SVS SB-2000
Polk Sig. 20's
Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
Grant Fidelity tube dac
B&k 1420
lsi 9's

Comments

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I’ve had the same problem. Not sure how I will survive the Texas summers with a mask on. Told the wife over the weekend I need one with an air conditioner.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • tonyb
    The problem is your re-breathing in what you exhale, carbon monoxide basically. So right around 20 minutes, I start feeling a bit dizzy. How this is healthy for people I have no frickin' idea.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Other than going full bore with a pro painter's mask, I might suggest getting a carbon activated vent mask. Here's a shot of one I am talking about.

0zer6q5c11xt.png

The vents blow outward when exhaling and suck back into a sealed position when breathing in or not breathing at all. That will help but it won't help to keep you cool.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Just wear a respirator, looks crazy but the 3m 7500 is very comfortable. I have worn 8 hours before when I used to paint
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Just make sure you get the right size for your face/head size or it will be VERY uncomfortable to wear. He's right though. It will last a lifetime and has replacement filters and cartridges.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited May 2020
    3M N95 with valved respirator.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    At work, starting today, we're required to wear a mask in public areas.

I dusted off my flip down face shield and am using it. Happened to catch a blurb about their use on one of the national newscasts last night. Ignored the lies and just paid attention to the comments that using a face shield is pretty acceptable and that adding a mask under it is really overdoing it.

Maybe on something like a flight, you could do the both at times and then pull down the mask for the longer term when you're away from folks more. Doing both would be like advertising that you're safer than other people and care more for them! That's the real goal after all.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • tonyb
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Other than going full bore with a pro painter's mask, I might suggest getting a carbon activated vent mask. Here's a shot of one I am talking about.

0zer6q5c11xt.png

The vents blow outward when exhaling and suck back into a sealed position when breathing in or not breathing at all. That will help but it won't help to keep you cool.

Tom

Would they sell those at Home Depot or similar ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    Here is an FYI from a friend of mine. Just so you know,

" I currently manage patients with severe COVID on ECMO (heart/lung assist device) who are too sick for ventilators.

Regular masks (not N95) do not “filter” COVID-19. The virus travels in air attached to water droplets (breathing, coughing, sneezing, etc), so the intent of masks is to reduce the distance that droplets can be propelled toward others. To illustrate, spray your hose into your yard, then spray it through a window screen. The projectile effect is reduced, although the screen still allows the water through. Coupled with the social distancing & hand washing, they serve to slow the spread of the virus so hospital systems are not overwhelmed by large spikes of cases."

Tom
  • treitz3
    tonyb wrote: »
    Would they sell those at Home Depot or similar ?
    No. They are just now getting in some 50 packs of disposable Non-surgical/Non-medical masks that have to be ordered through "Pro MRO". These are not vented and not N95 masks either.

I would look at Amazon or other retailers that have overnight or fast shipping options, since time is of the essence on this one.

Tom

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    u7gdhzuvgaom.jpg
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Someone in our area was selling homemade masks via nextdoor. They have been substantially more comfortable than any options from manufactures. However, it's just a cloth mask, so not the best protection available either.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • TEAforONE
    TEAforONE Posts: 999
    I never thought I’d see the day,with all the security everywhere,that you could get on a plane,go into a bank,or a store wearing a mask and sunglasses. Boy,times they are a changin.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Here is an FYI from a friend of mine. Just so you know,

" I currently manage patients with severe COVID on ECMO (heart/lung assist device) who are too sick for ventilators.

Regular masks (not N95) do not “filter” COVID-19. The virus travels in air attached to water droplets (breathing, coughing, sneezing, etc), so the intent of masks is to reduce the distance that droplets can be propelled toward others. To illustrate, spray your hose into your yard, then spray it through a window screen. The projectile effect is reduced, although the screen still allows the water through. Coupled with the social distancing & hand washing, they serve to slow the spread of the virus so hospital systems are not overwhelmed by large spikes of cases."

Tom

The problem there is that with any of these masks, you start breathing behind them, after about 20 minutes or so, the filter element fibers are saturated with moisture from your breath and sweating. The packaging even states this as a concern why masks shouldn't be reused because of the moisture compromising the filtration media. And that's compromising what they are actually effective against. That moisture is loaded with pathogen if you are infected.

So if you're sick and you go food shopping, 20 minutes in, a cough or sneeze is pushing enough air through your moisture saturated filtration elements that you are blowing aeroslized moisture droplet laden with pathogen everywhere, despite the mask. Mainly because your filtration media is not only saturated with moisture but also moisture born pathogen. So if it's already at the edge, an exhale will just push what's at the edge off it.

What makes it worse is that if you have a mask on, you're more lax in covering your mouth/nose when you cough/sneeze. So you're still blowing virus everywhere despite the mask. Meanwhile, you're dropping your blood oxygen levels significantly while inhaling exhaled CO2 which is a risk in and of itself.

If you're one of those yahoos that wears the masks the second you walk out of your house and leaves it on until you get home, by the time you get to your first destination you're already a germ sprinkler.

If you don't believe me, grab an N95 mask and sand some drywall compound with it on. Then exhale strongly through it and watch the dust cloud that your breath blows off the mask into the air in front of your face. Now imagine how much greater that is from a cough or sneeze.

Additionally, notice how much it itches and aggravates your face to the point where you have to scratch under your mask or lose your sanity.

I'm all for taking precautions and being considerate of others. I'm not for blindly following misinformation or incomplete information just because somebody has an alphabet worth of letters behind their name.

The best disposable masks consumers can buy are the N95 standard and they don't block below .3 microns. Homemade/makeshift masks are even less effective. Pretty much every known coronavirus is .10-.15 microns, less than half the size of the minimum filtration of the best disposable mask you can get.

You need full face respirators with either an air filter/pump pack or disposable cartridge filters to do better and then, you're pretty much talking gas masks.

Also, if you get the N95 masks with the valve in them then, you're doing nothing to protect anyone else as your exhale goes out of the valve unabated. Since that's what everyone keeps telling me is the reason to wear a mask, using one with a check valve completely defeats that purpose and only filters your inhalations. So you're relying on the N95 mask to filter out .12 micron pathogens with .3 micron holes. It's like building a wall to keep Buicks out of your parking lot but leaving Kenworth sized holes in the wall so you can get your toilet paper shipments. So, honestly, just don't wear the mask 'cause you're not getting or giving any benefit.

Cover your mouth/nose when you cough/sneeze and wash your hands. Stay home when your sick. Why's it so hard that we need governments to mandate the use of useless masks for people to use the brains God gave them?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    presumably one has to de-mask for at least a moment at the TSA checkpoint? :|

• mhardy6647
    ... or do we all need to get DL photos with masks on now?
  • tonyb
    I agree with all that gents, but...it is what it is. Considering my health issues, limiting oxygen intake is not a good idea for me. Soo...I'll probably cheat as best I can.

Things I'll go through to suck up some wine and Grouper... :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited May 2020
    The Jason mask is quite becoming. 🎃
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • mhardy6647
    F1nut wrote: »
    Cowboy scarf...done. Get a 10 gallon to go with it and practice your, "Howdy pardner"

yup.
    b7jsea5ex772.png
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    my boss had us in a small meeting room. Little jerk took his mask off said he couldn't speak with it on.

I have a few homemade ones I wear going to the store and places. Work gives us the surgical mask but we only get 1 a week.

I try to put my mask in sunlight for a few hours a day. Let the UV and heat of the car toast any germs away.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    "Baaaa" says the sheep.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    tonyb wrote: »
    I agree with all that gents, but...it is what it is. Considering my health issues, limiting oxygen intake is not a good idea for me. Soo...I'll probably cheat as best I can.

Things I'll go through to suck up some wine and Grouper... :)

Would it make any difference if you had a note from your dr stating that the restricted oxygen flow would be detrimental to your health, and therefore you can’t wear a mask? Not sure what airline policies are...?

As a side note, IF we can ever get congress to pass a “no fault” law, with regards to this virus, all these mask restrictions will evaporate. Companies are taking all these ridiculous steps to avoid being sued, or at least to be able to point to “good faith” efforts they took when they are sued...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892

0zer6q5c11xt.png

Tom

That looks hot and sweaty, is it?