Pro sports - it’s NOT about “the fans”....

daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,305
Some pretty revealing quotes from MLB players regarding the restart. Not surprising, sadly...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mlb-bryce-harper-nolan-arenado-blake-snell-pay-stance

i2uqmcpyqz20.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Pro sports is a business, and like any business the objective is too make money for the owners. The owners will adjust the players and their salaries until the owners are making what they consider to be a reasonable profit.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Pro sports is a business, and like any business the objective is too make money for the owners. The owners will adjust the players and their salaries until the owners are making what they consider to be a reasonable profit.

Agreed - the owners are taking the hit when they start playing games to empty venues. No ticket sales, no concession sales, no merchandise sales (in the stadium). Added to that, the owners have to pay all the bills.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Not to worry. They will bankrupt the sport.
    Problem solved.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    tonyb wrote: »
    Not going to get any sympathy from me when you get roughly 30 million a year to play a game. People work very hard at other professions, some with life and death consequences....and to hear these cry babies .....well, sorry kids that just don't fly with me.
    I gotta completely agree with this. People right now are trying to figure out how they can pay their bills. Other people are losing their business due to this madness.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Pro sports in the 21st Century... not about fans?!?

ahqnupe2a3ak.png

Next you're gonna tell me that Pro Wrasslin' isn't real?
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    They should start a backyard Youtube venue and F**k the owners. Sorry I'm not a fan of the wealthy...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Baseball(and pro sports in general) is all about multi-millionaires fighting billionaires for more money. A minor leaguer still makes more money than most of us see in a year, and are more fun to watch IMHO.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Pro sports in the 21st Century... not about fans?!?

ahqnupe2a3ak.png

Next you're gonna tell me that Pro Wrasslin' isn't real?

Wait just a god darn minute! Are you telling me it's not real? Next you'll tell me Santa and the Easter bunny are not real either.
  • mhardy6647
    I dunno, but I sure am lookin' forward to Roller Derby startin' up agin'.

:|

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

So am I, unless Skinny Minnie has retired. :o
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,197

Joanie Weston of the Bay Area Bombers.
    Ahhh, Roller Derby on Sunday mornings followed by Wrestling at the Chase. 😊

BTW The gal on "American Pickers" used to be a Roller Derby queen.
    Sal Palooza
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    As long as I get to see Tom Brady play in Atlanta Dec . 20, Im good!
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    If the fans want to pay them millions, I am good with that. I guess the entertainment is worth it to them. It ain't my money.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    audioluvr wrote: »
    They should start a backyard Youtube venue and F**k the owners. Sorry I'm not a fan of the wealthy...

Would you like em any better if they went broke?
  • mrbigbluelight
    Stan Musial took a voluntary pay cut the last 4 years of his career because his batting average had dropped over those years.
    ....lowered his lifetime average to something around .323.

One of the many reasons why he was called "Stan the Man" and not "Stan the Who' re".

Sal Palooza
  • mhardy6647
    edited May 2020
    Not to be confused with one-time Orioles relief pitcher Don Stanhouse -- who was known as "Stan the Man Unusual", as I recall. I believe he was also known as "Halfpack", because O's skipper Earl Weaver would smoke half a pack of cigarettes* any time Stanhouse was on the mound B)

Let's not forget Boog Powell, now that's a nickname! I think it was short for Boogerthorp.
  • mrbigbluelight
    When Albert Pujols was with the Cards the local sportswriters initially gave him the nickname of "El Hombre".
    Pujols put a stop to that saying "There's only one The Man and his name is Stan".
    Sal Palooza