Pro sports - it’s NOT about “the fans”....

daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494
Some pretty revealing quotes from MLB players regarding the restart. Not surprising, sadly...

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/mlb-bryce-harper-nolan-arenado-blake-snell-pay-stance

i2uqmcpyqz20.jpeg

Comments

• BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 13,784
    Pro sports is a business, and like any business the objective is too make money for the owners. The owners will adjust the players and their salaries until the owners are making what they consider to be a reasonable profit.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1 file player
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 1,494
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Pro sports is a business, and like any business the objective is too make money for the owners. The owners will adjust the players and their salaries until the owners are making what they consider to be a reasonable profit.

Agreed - the owners are taking the hit when they start playing games to empty venues. No ticket sales, no concession sales, no merchandise sales (in the stadium). Added to that, the owners have to pay all the bills.
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 5,116
    Not to worry. They will bankrupt the sport.
    Problem solved.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mantismantis Posts: 15,976
    tonyb wrote: »
    Not going to get any sympathy from me when you get roughly 30 million a year to play a game. People work very hard at other professions, some with life and death consequences....and to hear these cry babies .....well, sorry kids that just don't fly with me.
    I gotta completely agree with this. People right now are trying to figure out how they can pay their bills. Other people are losing their business due to this madness.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,274
    Pro sports in the 21st Century... not about fans?!?

ahqnupe2a3ak.png

Next you're gonna tell me that Pro Wrasslin' isn't real?
  • audioluvraudioluvr Posts: 2,705
    They should start a backyard Youtube venue and F**k the owners. Sorry I'm not a fan of the wealthy...
    Cambridge Audio 851N Streamer/DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 22,903
    Baseball(and pro sports in general) is all about multi-millionaires fighting billionaires for more money. A minor leaguer still makes more money than most of us see in a year, and are more fun to watch IMHO.

The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Krell Evolution 505 SACD Player, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • WillowWillow Posts: 10,266
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Pro sports in the 21st Century... not about fans?!?

ahqnupe2a3ak.png

Next you're gonna tell me that Pro Wrasslin' isn't real?

Wait just a god darn minute! Are you telling me it's not real? Next you'll tell me Santa and the Easter bunny are not real either.
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

I dunno, but I sure am lookin' forward to Roller Derby startin' up agin'.

:|

• Viking64Viking64 Posts: 5,429

So am I, unless Skinny Minnie has retired. :o
  • mrbigbluelightmrbigbluelight Posts: 8,076

Joanie Weston of the Bay Area Bombers.
    Ahhh, Roller Derby on Sunday mornings followed by Wrestling at the Chase. 😊

BTW The gal on "American Pickers" used to be a Roller Derby queen.
    MrBigBlueLight
    Here to pick your brain & steal your cookies
    Shifting to Plan B+
  • kevhed72kevhed72 Posts: 4,301
    As long as I get to see Tom Brady play in Atlanta Dec . 20, Im good!
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 7,509
    If the fans want to pay them millions, I am good with that. I guess the entertainment is worth it to them. It ain't my money.
    rpf65 wrote: »
    I’m thinking you’ve reached the point where people are afraid to open your posts.

I disabled, I am the South Carolina woman who gouged her eyes out on meth.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 7,509
    audioluvr wrote: »
    They should start a backyard Youtube venue and F**k the owners. Sorry I'm not a fan of the wealthy...

Would you like em any better if they went broke?
    I’m thinking you’ve reached the point where people are afraid to open your posts.

Stan Musial took a voluntary pay cut the last 4 years of his career because his batting average had dropped over those years.
    ....lowered his lifetime average to something around .323.

One of the many reasons why he was called "Stan the Man" and not "Stan the Who' re".

MrBigBlueLight
    Shifting to Plan B+
    edited May 20
    Not to be confused with one-time Orioles relief pitcher Don Stanhouse -- who was known as "Stan the Man Unusual", as I recall. I believe he was also known as "Halfpack", because O's skipper Earl Weaver would smoke half a pack of cigarettes* any time Stanhouse was on the mound B)

When Albert Pujols was with the Cards the local sportswriters initially gave him the nickname of "El Hombre".
    Pujols put a stop to that saying "There's only one The Man and his name is Stan".
    MrBigBlueLight
    Shifting to Plan B+