Thiel 3.6's - Interest??

Options
BDT
BDT Posts: 212
edited September 2019 in For Sale (FS) Classifieds
So, I'm jonesing for some SDA's again.

To that end, gotta thin the herd.

I've got a pair of black Thiel 3.6's.

The good: These are no joke destination speakers. I love 'em. Probably the best all around speaker I've had here at the Rancho de No Concerno. Open and airy. Transparent. Definition and imaging all in spades. Bass? Oh, heck yes.

The bad. These are 5/6 of 10. They are black cabs have some rash and one of the drivers has a wrinkle in it. I've discussed with a guy from Thiel....can't remember his name....I was going to send it for a rebuild but he's assured me that it's fine. The grills are fussy to install so I don't ever take them off. From the listening position though, they look good and sound amazing.

So, keeping cosmetics in mind.....I'm thinking 700. (the market seems to be ~1500)

No way I'm shipping these so come pick 'em up and I can audition them for you and ply you with lunch. I'm willing to deliver a reasonable distance as well. You buy lunch.

I reside in Charleston SC.....(sorry about that)

Thoughts?

BDT

PS...for an even grand, I could be persuaded to let you leave with a pair of Quad 988's and a bottle of good Scotch.....one of the the 988's would require repair....

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,092
    Options
    where do you live...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • BDT
    Options
    fixed it...thanks!
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    @lightman1

Judy needs these for her second listening room 😉
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    @lightman1

Enabler!
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    Glad you reside in SC. Any closer and I would be tempted to make a road trip.
  • BDT
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It's not that bad of a roadtrip! From Indy, I'll even upgrade you to a steak dinner!

A buddy of mine has family in Indianapolis and it's a 10hr ride for him.....heck, DAGLJAM6 and I did a round trip to north Jersey and back nonstop to pick up a pair of Quads.

BDT
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,572
    Options
    I have a pair of CS2.3's that I will never part with. And Im not that far from you. Near Augusta, GA.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • EndersShadow
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    @lightman1

Enabler!

Yup lol....

Although depending on the route you take to Iowa with the uhaul soon you could maybe Polkie Express them for @indyhawg lol..
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    Options
    la2vegas wrote: »

IMHO, the 3.6's are miles ahead of the 2.3's, even though the 2.3's are newer. I don't remember the exact number of years the 3.6's ran, but it was a VERY long time because Jim had so much trouble coming up with a better design in their size range. When he did, the 3.7's became his flagship.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • BDT
    Options
    I've listened to the 2.2's and the 3.6's are a horse of a different color. Truth to tell...while I've not heard the 2.3's, I just never really loved the 2.2's.

Big step up for not a lot of coin.....hint hint.

BDT
  • halo71
    Options
    I messaged you BDT. I love my 2.3's. Curious how much better the 3.6's are.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • BDT
    Options
    Just sent you one back man.......

Another thought....come listen to them. Augusta to CHS is a couple hr drive (down 78 through the country is nice....stop at the natural spring in Blackville). I'll buy lunch....if you don't love 'em, you are out a day of your life.

BDT
  • halo71
    Options
    If they are a fraction better than my 2.3's, I'm sure I'd love them.

I would. But you are 4 hours away. And I don't trust my old Nissan Frontier to make that round trip to be honest.
    --Gary--
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    Options
    El Bumpo. Back on market.

With the 2.3tl’s....something has to go...

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • xsmi
    Options
    I want these so bad. They're a long time dream of mine, but I am trying to save for this house and have already spent too much on a turntable. GLWTS
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • TroyD
    Options
    One, where are you and two, I could be talked into a payment arrangement.....these don’t have to move tomorrow....
  • lightman1
    Options
    Fiddlesticks! I'm 19 hours one way
  • xsmi
    Options
    Toledo, OH. But, I have family in North Carolina.
  • TroyD
    Options
    Like I said, I'm pretty flexible and am willing to hold them for awhile.....
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,636
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Fiddlesticks! I'm 19 hours one way

Go get em, Russ!
  • TroyD
    Options
    Yeah, come get 'em Russ!
  • TroyD
    Options
    I do believe that I have come to a gentleman's agreement to move this along...thanks for playing!
  • lightman1
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I was trapped in an indecisive whirlpool of yes no maybe until your sweet words just released me from my conundrum.....

Dibs on seconds