RTA 12C

Comments

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited February 2016
    Is it hard to sell a pair of speakers or what? :'( Bump for a very fine pair of RTA-12's
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    edited February 2016
    EDIT: nevermind, I thought these were the ones in South Carolina...
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Well it has been 4 years or so since I had these up for sale, and I am putting them on the market again. They just don't get much use and they need to be enjoyed by someone. Price is $550 and pickup only in zip code 60914, or I am willing to drive a 100 miles or so to meet.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    Good lord those are beautiful!!! I can’t believe that price either!!! Dang!!! Good luck
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited March 2020
    If somebody could only hear how these GREAT speakers sound. :p

It's UNBELIEVEABLE how much sound comes from 4 woofers and 2 tweeters and the 2-12" passives. It boggles my mind! I've owned a hundred sets of speakers of all makes and sizes and my RTA12b's are in the top 10 for sure. <3 And the top 10 includes a few sets priced in the 3k to 7K range. That should shine light on their capabilities.

And these have a Left and Right designation. The sound-field is HUGE! A real jaw dropping performance.

And to add your rebuilding and veneering those beauties has to make them the BEST ones on the planet.

GLWTS
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Nightfall
    Yeah, these are a very fine example of RTA-12B or C. If only I didn't need an AVR and you weren't so far away.

• Hello fellows.. Faustin I was wondering if the top hats for your 12cs were always uniform. I have some 12bs that have deflated tops and was wondering if you had and pictures of how you fixed them (if you even had too). I've had ideas but wanted to see how others fixed them
  • Faustin
    Hello fellows.. Faustin I was wondering if the top hats for your 12cs were always uniform. I have some 12bs that have deflated tops and was wondering if you had and pictures of how you fixed them (if you even had too). I've had ideas but wanted to see how others fixed them

Fortunately the tophats on mine were in pretty good shape. The fabric on mine are held in place by a rubber spline, the type you would use to hold a window screen in place on the screen frame. I hand washed the fabric and let it air dry. IIRC, I glued/renforeced the tophat frames and that was it. I have seen other people repair the frames with wood dowel rods etc.
  • Mr. Sharpe
    Mr. Sharpe Posts: 1,354
    If I had room I’d come get them.... and keep the ones the same model I have😂😂
    Home theater:
    43” Westinghouse Displayer
    Marantz UD-7007 Player
    Emotiva MC-700 Processor
    Adcom GFA-5006 Amplifier
    Parasound Zamp Amplifier
    Ethereal ESO-1 Power Conditioner
    Klipsch RC-10 Center
    Klipsch R34c Fronts
    Klipsch RB-41 Surrounds
    Polk audio PSW-505

Stereo:
    Polk audio RTA-12c’s fully upgraded crossovers
    DIY 12tc braided speaker cables
    Denon DVD-5910ci Spinner
    Parasound P6 Preamplifer
    Parasound HCA -1500a Amplifier
  • Faustin
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited April 2020
    OMG! I can't believe these are still here. Forget SDA. These are the cream of the crop for Polk. I had SDA SRS II and the 12B. (SRS II long gone) I still have the 12B and they are the reigning champs and one of only two main speakers (Infinity RSII being the others) I keep. The Wife has something to do with that. However the 12B and 12C are some of the best I've heard.

If you want a true audiophile speaker this is it!

Especially with all the custom work! These are so worth the price.
  • dcarcher
    dcarcher Posts: 3
    As a near-Indy resident, these present a very tempting alternative to fully restoring my 7B's right away...
  • Faustin
    dcarcher wrote: »
    As a near-Indy resident, these present a very tempting alternative to fully restoring my 7B's right away...

The 7's are a very nice book shelf speaker, (I have a set of them fully restored) but there is no comparison between the 7's and 12's. 7xy9lldg0uz4.jpg
    dizs4s8tm8sh.jpg
  • dcarcher
    Faustin wrote: »
    dcarcher wrote: »

The 7's are a very nice book shelf speaker, (I have a set of them fully restored) but there is no comparison between the 7's and 12's. 7xy9lldg0uz4.jpg
    dizs4s8tm8sh.jpg

Are the 12's that much better? Considering the size of the stands I use, probably wouldn't much of a difference in floor real-estate.
  • Tony M
    edited April 2020
    YES, the 12C's are in another league. The major league!

I agree, since I've owned 2 sets of 7's and now own 12b's. The 12c's I assume are like my 12b's and present a monstrous sound stage and bass that can vibrate a 21X18X16' high ceiling room's wall and stuff on shelves.

Now the 7's could be considered for intimate listening and do sound very balanced for sure. For volume, the monitor 10s are great for that. But the 12s take sound to another level. ;)

Both are nice but think of this...the 12C's have a left and right designation for the pair. They are truly amazing speakers! B)
  • Faustin
    ^^^^^^ - Well put Tony M
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    From Stereophile Interview with Sandy Gross: "The RTA 12, with its open-mounted tweeter, was perhaps the best pure audiophile product in the line (Polk's). RTA stood for Real Time Array."
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • dcarcher
    Tony M wrote: »

I agree, since I've owned 2 sets of 7's and now own 12b's. The 12c's I assume are like my 12b's and present a monstrous sound stage and bass that can vibrate a 21X18X16' high ceiling room's wall and stuff on shelves.

Now the 7's could be considered for intimate listening and do sound very balanced for sure. For volume, the monitor 10s are great for that. But the 12s take sound to another level. ;)

Both are nice but think of this...the 12C's have a left and right designation for the pair. They are truly amazing speakers! B)
    From Stereophile Interview with Sandy Gross: "The RTA 12, with its open-mounted tweeter, was perhaps the best pure audiophile product in the line (Polk's). RTA stood for Real Time Array."

You guys are really selling me on these. Note: I am in a pretty small room - 12x13. Should that affect my decision? I intend to move to a bigger space later this year.

The RTA12C's and RTA15TL's are on my Polk Most-wanted list. I really liked my Monitor 8t's.
  • Tony M
    I have never had a Polk speaker system in my smallish home. wait...I do have Polk M3's and M5's for rear speakers in 2 systems.

I've only had all my other many Polk speakers and subs out in a separate building with the dimensions typed above.

Sorry.

Maybe somebody else has had the RTA 12 series in your size room. ;)
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    Tony M wrote: »

Tony,
    What is the difference in the 12b and 12c? Thanks!
    Harry
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • Nightfall

Tony,
    What is the difference in the 12b and 12c? Thanks!
    Harry

I'm pretty sure the crossovers are exactly the same and the only difference is the tweeter. Which seems weird that it's the only model that changed drivers but kept the same crossover. Or maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

• Faustin
    IIRC the difference between the 12b and 12c is the tweeter and perhaps going from a fuse to a polyswitch. In regards to the room size, I would think a 12'x13' room for the 12's is going to be fine, though they are capable of filling a much larger room.
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Hey Bruce ...
    Back in the late 80s my friend filled a VFW hall with music from his 12Cs. IIRC, it was a good size hall. I’d say30x30. Cannot comment on the SQ, but we danced all night 🤠

12x13 ?
    Piece of cake. Just don’t under power ‘em

GLWTS
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • CH46E
    edited April 2020
    I've seen some 12b with poly switches. From what I was told the later 12b and the 12c had the poly switches. I've also seen the crossover on the 12c speaker marked as12b. So it appears they used the same exact board.

I dont think the crossover have the exact same values though. Since the 194 tweeter upgrade was sutible for 12C but NOT the 12B with peerless tweeters.

IIRC, when I looked into a 194 upgrade for my 12b it would have required a crossover adjustment. I think adding a resistor and maybe a cap value change. I might be confusing the tweeter upgrade with a 198 upgrade on my 11t.

But I know I was discouraged by many on replacing the peerless with a 194.
  • CH46E
    The RTA12C has a fantastic favor amongst audiophile reviewers.

I still have my 12B and am pretty sure I'll never sell them. For the price FAustin is asking for his, rest asure, you would be getting a effing fantastic speaker for the price. Mine dont look near as good as his and I'd be hard pressed to let mine go for his asking price.

If you have never experienced the 12B or better yet the 12C you dont know what you are missing!

With the 12B I dont even use a subwoofer and the imaging is insane. You will swear your center channel is playing. (If you have one)

Ain't that right @tonyb ????
  • Tony M
    I swear the wall is playing most of the time. B)
  • Nightfall
    Faustin wrote: »
    After spending several hours listening to these the other day, I have decided to not sell these. No longer for sale.

They look as good as they sound too. I wouldn't get rid of those.