Air Core Inductor falls off crossover during shipping

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,558
Yep, couldn't believe it! Here's the story, I bought a mint condition pair of gorgeous ATC SCM11 speakers off USAM and they arrived yesterday. Seriously stunning cherry finish that the photos don't do justice:

ynx4ioihfzbn.jpg

qloejutv9rg2.jpg

3j5ei6bigenu.jpg

I hooked them up to try them out earlier this evening, and I noticed that one speaker sounded fine, and the other one was only making a small amount of treble and nothing at all from the woofer. Swapped back the last speaker that was hooked up and it was fine, so I knew it was this new speaker.

Popped the terminal cap off and noticed some green oxidation on the plastic insulators/protectors, but all connections secure:

2ycd0rxcacb1.jpg

Looked inside the cabinet and saw what looked to be bare copper wire! What the heck is this?! Pushed aside some of the insulation material and then saw this:

1lv4bq895tyh.jpg

The massive and heavy solid copper air core inductor has fallen off the crossover during shipping! It appears that the plastic zip tie gave out, likely due to getting brittle since these are 9 year old speakers.

Hopefully it didn't damage anything else on the crossover when it happened. I can't get the front baffle off to check without having a special tool to remove the tweeter waveguide first:

6o1w0dl8zb51.jpg

I will reach out to ATC and see what they can do for me. Replacement crossovers perhaps?

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Return to sender.

You shouldn't have to remove the tweeter to remove the baffle.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I thought the baffle would come off without touching the waveguide too. I removed the 4 rubber inserts where the grille rests, and then removed the 4 phillips head screws. When I start to pull I can feel it start to come apart on the bottom, but not the top.

That makes me think that the shape/inset of the waveguide is preventing the baffle from being removed.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Hmmmm
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    I reached out to ATC already and inquired about replacement inductors, or replacement crossovers. Both of which would still require removing the front baffle.

What is needed to upgrade/rebuild the crossovers? That could be an option as well that I would pay someone more skilled than myself to complete.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited April 2020
    Maybe Danny Richie of Gr Research. I would also replace the internal wiring.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Yeah, Torx bit for that tweeter, Drew. You could normally pick up a set of some sort at Harbor Freight or Northern Tools pretty cheap. Amazon would be an option too.

Have you been in contact with the seller?
    I disabled signatures.
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited April 2020
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Dang Drew, this most certainly SUCKS. Hope you can get things sorted to your liking. Maybe the seller could reach out to the Shipping Co. to help out with repairs?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    That's a *Security* Torx (or Tamper Resistant). They have a hole in the center to clear that nub. I think they are readily available, although most people don't have them in their tool boxes.

Oooh, good catch! I didn't look closely enough to see the pin.
    I disabled signatures.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Yep security Torx. Harbor Freight has em if it's still open for business in your area.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2020
    verb wrote: »
    Yep security Torx. Harbor Freight has em if it's still open for business in your area.

Indeed, the best HF security bit set (wait, is that an oxymoron) has one advantage over the cheapies -- long shanks. It turns out (don't ask me how I know this) that some of the devices in our lives that include security-head screws to keep us out of their innards also inter those screws at the bottom of deep ravines into which a short security bit, inserted into a 1/4" nut driver or the traditional bit holder/extension won't fit into.

This happened to me on a coffee maker not all that long ago... so I bought a set of these.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-in-impact-rated-black-oxide-security-bit-set-33-piece-64907.html

c43bcvmubusj.png

At the other end of the spectrum (and FWIW): this is the set I've had, and used, for years -- these are hyper-cheap in generic form, and are actually fairly well made. Mine are branded Velleman (as in the electronic kit company) -- but they're all the same AFAIK. They've gotten me into lots of places that I (apparently) wasn't supposed to go B)

https://www.harborfreight.com/security-bit-set-33-pc-68459.html

nvrn50gep8il.png

On topic -- and not to be too brusque -- but, if the inductor came undone, is there a good reason not to just repair it?

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    How long is the wire that broke off the inductor? If its a few inched to a foot I would just cut it off and rewire the inductor. There is a lot of wire in that coil and a few inches less won't change the specs.
  • mhardy6647
    It may be necessary to scrape or use heat (e.g., a soldering iron) to remove the enamel coating if the wire broke too far "upstream" (so to speak). I'd expect that it broke at or near the junction, though (soldering point).

The manufacturer used a zip tie to secure it, eh? :|

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Thank you Mark! Yep, this is my set! :smile:

ssqnjyo2zbt6.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    edited April 2020
    delkal wrote: »
    How long is the wire that broke off the inductor? If its a few inched to a foot I would just cut it off and rewire the inductor. There is a lot of wire in that coil and a few inches less won't change the specs.

My thoughts exactly. Wind it back up best you can and solder back in. A little hot melt and 3m super double sided tape and be done.
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    ... or two zip ties.

Or go all out NASA-style and use three.

B)

PS Here's - quite literally - my first DIY crossover. This one was published in audioXpress for the modest (and quite decent, even stock) old CSW Model Six loudspeaker (not the last, but one of Henry Kloss's last designs).

kh96p2e4d3aw.png

Nope, I am not proud of it, but it was fit for purpose (if barely) and the result sounded very, very good. Took the little Six to the next level, as they say.

• mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    verb wrote: »
    Thank you Mark! Yep, this is my set! :smile:

ssqnjyo2zbt6.png

... and as long as one doesn't need to access security screws in crooks and nannies nooks and crannies, it's a perfectly dandy kit; I've had mine for about 20 years.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    I was just looking for a couple of screws and what's staring me in my face...
    The same exact kit. Harbor freight I think. LOL.

Good luck drew. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Clipdat
    Keep in mind that I don't own a soldering iron or have any experience with this sort of thing. So this is basically equivalent to a toddler trying to solve a geometry problem.
  • mhardy6647
    Well... I mean... you could use a wire nut if there's wire at both ends.
    Soldering is a useful life skill -- I a, just saying.
    (and an assortment of security bits will pay for itself, sooner or later)

Just to show a little empathy and solidarity (since I really am sorry you had a disappointment associated with your new speaks) -- this is what my much-beloved, "Redboy" built JE/Angela Labs "Simple 2A3" amp looked like when I unpacked it. UPS roughed the old girl up pretty good bad.

The only damage was cosmetic -- no soldering required, though (truth be told).
    Just some glue and clamps.

w4kcqsv6bpiu.jpg
    5t1s9ihzgac1.jpg

Good luck!

46602617645_e324754511_b.jpgDSC_4280 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

• Clipdat
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    If I was close this would be done already

Thanks Ivan, I appreciate your sentiment.

I'll let you guys know what ATC says when I hear back from them. That'll likely determine the direction I go in. It would be cool to upgrade the crossovers somehow, but I'll settle for anything that works.

I'll order one of those security torx sets as well so I can get inside and take a look at what's going on.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    god luck Drew.. as a man who own a soldering iron but sucks at it, I understand!

just don't burn yourself! you only do that once I promise ;)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • Clipdat
    Dang Drew, this most certainly SUCKS. Hope you can get things sorted to your liking. Maybe the seller could reach out to the Shipping Co. to help out with repairs?

He wasn't super communicative but he did offer to split the cost of new crossovers (if available) and said he's willing to work with me.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    The coil looks fine, perfect lay air core

I agree it would probably be a few minutes to fix, best of luck!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Clipdat
    It kinda felt like the wires were still attached to the crossover. If they are, I should just coil the wire back up and then secure it back to the crossover?

Would the coil being partially unwound like this result in there only being a little bit of treble from the tweeter and nothing from the woofer, or is there perhaps something else going on with the crossover?
  • mhardy6647
    edited April 2020
    Clipdat wrote: »
    It kinda felt like the wires were still attached to the crossover. If they are, I should just coil the wire back up and then secure it back to the crossover?

Would the coil being partially unwound like this result in there only being a little bit of treble from the tweeter and nothing from the woofer, or is there perhaps something else going on with the crossover?

No, not as such**. A tiny change in the coil (i.e., shortening or uncoiling a little bit of it) will have a calculable change in the coil's inductance*. It might even be measurable, but it will be small.

Look for unintended short circuits or open connections.

If the coil's connected, and if the speaker's not working right, and if you bought it from a third party (i.e., used), that third party should be responsible unless they specifically disclaimed (declaimed?) responsibility for the shipment after it left their possession. I.e., https://www.shopify.com/encyclopedia/fob-shipping-point

** EDIT: Actually, come to think of it: Maybe. If there are multiple inductors in the crossover, changing the juxtaposition in space of the inductors can cause changes in their properties due to inductive coupling. The effects are very real and may well be measurable and audible, but I would think they'd also be fairly subtle.

Thus we try to orient chokes, coils, and transformers at right angles to each other whenever possible and/or to keep them fairly well separated in space. Note the arrangement of the two coils in the CSW Six XO photo I posted.

http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/coils.htm

1ujk2jt141gy.png
  • mhardy6647
    maxward wrote: »
    Yikes!

Yeah, but she works really quickly.