Quiet audiophile rooms can drive you crazy.

BlueFox
BlueFox Posts: 15,251
“Inside the room it's silent. So silent that the background noise measured is actually negative decibels, -9.4 dBA. Steven Orfield, the lab's founder, told Hearing Aid Know: “We challenge people to sit in the chamber in the dark – one person stayed in there for 45 minutes. “

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    Strikes me as close to being in a SCIF.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited April 2020
    How is it possible to have negative noise? Does 0 db not mean 0 noise?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • F1nut
    I don't know, but dead quiet is truly spooky.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    F1nut wrote: »

I would like to experience it! I wonder how long I would stay before I tapped out.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    I've been in many chambers and you can loose your balance. Things don't make much sense in there. I didn't like it as it also feels like the air is thin.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Dead quiet still isn't dead quiet to me. You have to actually be dead. :)

Seriously, when it's that quiet, you start hearing your heart beat and your own breathing. That is kinda spooky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314

Along with Pitch Dark

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    edited April 2020
    Don't forget how exponents and their inverse, logarithms, work. 10^-1 = 0.1 for example. 0 dB is not "zero", it is the reference point (whatever that is). Negative one dB (i.e., -1 dB) is one tenth of that reference point; -2 dB is one-one-hundredth of that reference point, etc.

Zero dB is not absolute silence. You're not allowed to take the logarithm of zero -- try it siometime! B)
  • Malbec
    Malbec Posts: 548

Along with Pitch Dark

Try both at the same time.
    Takes me back to my spelunking days. We would go in to a room, cut our lights, sit far enough from one another and listen to the roaring silence. I would wait for my eyes to adjust but it would never happen. A sensory overload in its own right.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I have tinnitus in my left ear and I'm kinda gassy so there is no such thing as dead quiet with me.

Wanna bet?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Tinnitus sucks!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    No, it rings.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,925
    No, it rings.

Yes. Yes it does :(
    Malbec wrote: »

Along with Pitch Dark

Try both at the same time.
    Takes me back to my spelunking days. We would go in to a room, cut our lights, sit far enough from one another and listen to the roaring silence. I would wait for my eyes to adjust but it would never happen. A sensory overload in its own right.

hy1xkvuznqkz.png

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited April 2020

Care to tell us how UN-dead quiet sounds? I figure our resident vampire might just have the answer for that. ;)B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    edited April 2020
    I would go and check it out myself. Seeing it’s local. They also have a recording studio there that recorded a famous Dillan album. Kinda spendy if you ask me for the tour?
    Love yours. D

PS....(spendy). That’s a word I learned when I moved to Minnesota twenty years ago. They don’t say that in Wisconsin? Wisconsin they say expensive.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”