Quiet audiophile rooms can drive you crazy.

BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 14,119
“Inside the room it's silent. So silent that the background noise measured is actually negative decibels, -9.4 dBA. Steven Orfield, the lab's founder, told Hearing Aid Know: “We challenge people to sit in the chamber in the dark – one person stayed in there for 45 minutes. “

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/earths-quietest-place-will-drive-you-crazy-in-45-minutes-180948160/
Lumin X1 file player
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 45,406
    Strikes me as close to being in a SCIF.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NightfallNightfall Posts: 9,464
    edited April 2020
    How is it possible to have negative noise? Does 0 db not mean 0 noise?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
    I don't know, but dead quiet is truly spooky.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 9,261
    F1nut wrote: »

I would like to experience it! I wonder how long I would stay before I tapped out.
  • mantismantis Posts: 16,027
    I've been in many chambers and you can loose your balance. Things don't make much sense in there. I didn't like it as it also feels like the air is thin.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 32,566
    Dead quiet still isn't dead quiet to me. You have to actually be dead. :)

Seriously, when it's that quiet, you start hearing your heart beat and your own breathing. That is kinda spooky.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Mike ReeterMike Reeter Posts: 4,032

Along with Pitch Dark

SDA SRS 2.3TL's/SDA SRS 3.1TL's/SDA CRS+4.1TL's and some other stuff
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,923
    edited April 2020
    Don't forget how exponents and their inverse, logarithms, work. 10^-1 = 0.1 for example. 0 dB is not "zero", it is the reference point (whatever that is). Negative one dB (i.e., -1 dB) is one tenth of that reference point; -2 dB is one-one-hundredth of that reference point, etc.

Zero dB is not absolute silence. You're not allowed to take the logarithm of zero -- try it siometime! B)
  • MalbecMalbec Posts: 529

Along with Pitch Dark

Try both at the same time.
    Takes me back to my spelunking days. We would go in to a room, cut our lights, sit far enough from one another and listen to the roaring silence. I would wait for my eyes to adjust but it would never happen. A sensory overload in its own right.

• pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 17,912
    audioluvr wrote: »
    I have tinnitus in my left ear and I'm kinda gassy so there is no such thing as dead quiet with me.

Wanna bet?
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 9,612
    Tinnitus sucks!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    No, it rings.

President of Club Polk

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 26,923
    No, it rings.

Yes. Yes it does :(
    Malbec wrote: »

Along with Pitch Dark

Try both at the same time.
    Takes me back to my spelunking days. We would go in to a room, cut our lights, sit far enough from one another and listen to the roaring silence. I would wait for my eyes to adjust but it would never happen. A sensory overload in its own right.

hy1xkvuznqkz.png

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 23,109
    edited April 2020

Care to tell us how UN-dead quiet sounds? I figure our resident vampire might just have the answer for that. ;)B)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Statement V2 cartridge and Origin Conqueror Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds.

I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.” .

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • DabutcherDabutcher Posts: 2,321
    edited April 2020
    I would go and check it out myself. Seeing it’s local. They also have a recording studio there that recorded a famous Dillan album. Kinda spendy if you ask me for the tour?
    Love yours. D

PS....(spendy). That’s a word I learned when I moved to Minnesota twenty years ago. They don’t say that in Wisconsin? Wisconsin they say expensive.
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Mitsubishi rear projection 73, PS4, PSW505 , Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, RTi12, FXiA6, CSiA6, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05

“Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”